Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 09:58 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leitmotif View Post
At least not here in Los Angeles. We young guys drive our range rovers, BMW's, or lexus.
Here in TX, the young guys are all driving nice sporty BMW's.

Nothing better than a BMW with a gun rack in the rear window.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 10:07 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
A corvette? Corvettes are old white dudes cars. I mean 55 - 65 years old. No one else drives those. At least not here in Los Angeles. We young guys drive our range rovers, bmws, or lexus.
I went to the gym this morning and just saw a muscle head leaving a corvette

Probably in my age group. Not older than 35 for sure.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:08 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Ok, this should be a fun thread, LMAO

I was having this discussion with the missus about getting rid of my toyota and buying a new car. I told her I wanted something fancy like a corvette.

Question 1: Are you serious?
Answer 1: Yes

Question 2: You don't have any debt now. You want to have debt and a car payment for several years???????
Answer 2: Well, I think I can handle it, it will be good credit history if we are to buy a house

Question 3: More importantly, do you wanna be perceived as a mid-life crisis 30-something guy, with a small penis and uses just the corvette to attract women????
Answer 3:

Then she went on to say, "Okay, good boy, your toyota is good enough. Just don't waste your money"

So, a question to the forum women, is this your perception of those kemosabes who drive around in noisy corvettes? They're all beta manlets??

Thoughts?

Finally, I told her I'll look to buy an electric car later in life from Toyota or Hyundai.
Beta manlets drive drive mini-vans, electric cars and are only allowed to have their 'nads when the wife allows them.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:14 AM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
I went to the gym this morning and just saw a muscle head leaving a corvette

Probably in my age group. Not older than 35 for sure.
Sounds like a guy who fits the #3 profile you mentioned in your original post.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:15 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Beta manlets drive drive mini-vans, electric cars and are only allowed to have their 'nads when the wife allows them.
I have a spending problem. She's been trying her best to keep it in check, and it's been working so far.

So, any big investment I make, I always consult with her. She's a better money manager than I am. She's pretty much like my father was.

So, nothing beta about it

Old 09-06-2010, 10:17 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
My feeling is that a lot of chicks like Corvettes... for themselves, not for their man to drive. Sorry.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:19 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times
Quote:
I have a spending problem. She's been trying her best to keep it in check, and it's been working so far.

So, any big investment I make, I always consult with her. She's a better money manager than I am. She's pretty much like my father was.

So, nothing beta about it
BTW, if you plan to buy a house you need to get credit established. If you do buy a car make sure its not too elaborate, mortgage companies look down on that.
And when you're out & about start paying attention to the posture & demeanor of dudes driving mini-vans, you'll see what I mean.

Old 09-06-2010, 10:51 AM

1,000 posts, read 2,350,561 times
I'm a guy but I have to weigh in anyway...the whole Corvette thing is so damned stupid. If you're an enthusiest or a fan of classic cars, then yes there's no problem. However, if you're just one of those "I want a hot sports car to get bitchezzz and be younger...mmmm, I'll get a Corvette!!!!" types then you're up there on the scale of stupidity with those little high school nerds doing Wal-Mart parking lot donuts in their riced out 86 Hondas.

There's a world of difference though in having a garage'd Corvette for fun, if you're a mechanic or just a big car fan, however...but when you start doing things like selling off your daily driver and only vehicle for a Corvette, then that's how you know that you have problems. I especially love it when people do this in cold weather states and attempt to drive these things in shoddy conditions. My point is that if you want a new car, and a sporty car...at least go after something that doesn't cost as much as some people's houses and go after something that you can at least get normal use out of for 8 months of the year.

Look into the Hyundai Genesis Coupe instead, at least that can be done for a decent price and still be useable as a daily driver. It's just a classy looking sports coupe as opposed to a fire-breathing old man-mobile:

http://www.autodoom.com/gfx/Hyundai_Genesis_Coupe_.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by TelecasterBlues; 09-06-2010 at 11:08 AM..

Old 09-06-2010, 11:15 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,616,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoistDude View Post
A Corvette is so cliche, Chamataka. It's an old (40+ ? LOL) man's sports car. You can do better. And please, no 10,000 Watt bass speakers!
Hey, I resemble that remark!

I've had 3 Vettes over the years, and each was a joy to own. Well, most of the time. I don't believe I was substituting for anything -

- at least, that's what the babes I picked up in it said.

TD, what do you consider a YOUNG guy's car - one of those Acura POS's, or maybe a lowered, lime-green Toyota with the fart-can mufflers and purple neon lighting?

If those are my two choices, give me a Vette any day - the ones I had ('65, '77 and '88) were fun, fast, classy and pretty easy to maintain...

Old 09-06-2010, 11:37 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,225,548 times
Old men drive Vettes because they wanted them when they were young but couldn't afford them then. Old women drive Vettes because they just got divorced and got a fat settlement. (That's what my ex did!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships