Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 05:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,150,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaoTzuMindFu View Post
My buddy, being the sweet guy he is, says that even if she put all that weight back on, he would love her no less because that was how she looked when they met. What is really cool is, she says that she's not only losing the weight for herself, she's doing it for her soon-to-be husband as well. That is really sweet.
Well, sweetness inspires sweetness.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:22 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,257,845 times
Yeh dude. That is really cool you are doing that. I think a lot of people feel trapped in that weight class just because it takes so much change and time to get out of it. Its a *****.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:32 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Well, sweetness inspires sweetness.

Years ago, on one of the talk shows, they had an episode featuring large women and their husbands, many of whom looked like they walked out of the pages of GQ. The thin women in the audience kept heckling the guests, and kept blathering on about how there's no way their husbands could love them that way, the men must be cheating, blah, blah, blah, meow, meow, meow, hiss, spit, and claw.

Finally, one of the women on stage grabbed the mic and said, "My husband will still love me if I lose 50 pounds. Will yours still love you if you GAIN 50?"

That pretty much shut the audience down.

As well it should have.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:41 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,788 times
I've gained about 100 pounds since my marriage turned from a marriage into a giant, steaming bowl of stress.

Weight gain isn't always stress-related. I had sort of a bad combination working against me: A desk job driving a computer; a bad marriage filled with passive-aggressive hijinks which precluded physical activity; financial stresses which pre-empted my old gym memberships (same marital source)... Before marriage I went to the gym regularly to support my eating habits, knowing I was getting older and someday my metabolism would slow down. I'd gotten heavy a couple of times in my life during periods of laziness but always managed to take it back down quickly and effectively with just a very little bit of exercise -- I mean quickly. It was a blessing.

Fast-forward to present day and a world where I've gained that 100 pounds in about four years of constant stress, where the most exercise I get is standing back up after having the rug yanked out from under me yet again.

These days I'm trying again. I've reached a weight where I constantly FEEL bad, something I've never felt in my life until this marriage, and I realized recently that I've got things to LIVE for, such as my amazing son.

The road BACK is much, much harder than the road out -- so some of you, show a little mercy in your thoughts and opinions of others. Every fat person you see isn't just some fat effin' slob who never cared in the first place. It really is possible for someone to get in a situation where they don't even realize for a long time they're allowing someone else to slowly kill them.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,845 times
I'm sorry to hear that Urban Sasquatch. I hope things improve for you.

My weight has fluctuated a lot over the years. I was a skinny, sickly kid and my parents worried about me all the time. My eating habits were closely monitored. And I was a young mother in my 20s when my late husband became terminally ill and I lost a scary amount of weight due to the stress/trauma. I was regularly accused of being anorexic.

After his death I went through a brief period where I smoked pot and I gained weight almost overnight... the munchies are no joke! LOL

My pot smoking phase was short-lived, but my extra weight remained. I'm at a normal weight now but a little heavier than I would like by about 15 pounds. I have a desk job, a husband who loves pizza and ice cream, and I have to work out and watch what I eat closely or else I inflate like a rubber raft.

If I'm working long hours I will gain weight. That's just the way it is.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Years ago, on one of the talk shows, they had an episode featuring large women and their husbands, many of whom looked like they walked out of the pages of GQ. The thin women in the audience kept heckling the guests, and kept blathering on about how there's no way their husbands could love them that way, the men must be cheating, blah, blah, blah, meow, meow, meow, hiss, spit, and claw.

Finally, one of the women on stage grabbed the mic and said, "My husband will still love me if I lose 50 pounds. Will yours still love you if you GAIN 50?"

That pretty much shut the audience down.

As well it should have.
A clever comeback! Truthful, too!

Being beautiful is hardly a guarantee for a happy relationship, that's for sure. Besides, these women's husbands may very well consider them beautiful. I've always thought average-looking people are better off because they're not liked for the their facades alone and perhaps attract a better-quality partners.

Old 09-14-2010, 09:27 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
A clever comeback! Truthful, too!

Being beautiful is hardly a guarantee for a happy relationship, that's for sure. Besides, these women's husbands may very well consider them beautiful. I've always thought average-looking people are better off because they're not liked for the their facades alone and perhaps attract a better-quality partners.

Well when I gained that 1/2 ounce, you left me for Elmo.

Seriously though, when you're going through rough times, whether it be you in a hospital, or death of a loved one, or whatever, is your S.O.'s weight really going to matter at that point? Or will it matter that they love you and are there for you?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Well when I gained that 1/2 ounce, you left me for Elmo.

That was because you stole 1/2 ounce of my chocolate!

Quote:
Seriously though, when you're going through rough times, whether it be you in a hospital, or death of a loved one, or whatever, is your S.O.'s weight really going to matter at that point? Or will it matter that they love you and are there for you?
That concept seems to be getting extinct, Bobs...

Old 09-15-2010, 06:57 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
That was because you stole 1/2 ounce of my chocolate!
Well you left it sitting out there. It kept calling me.

Quote:
That concept seems to be getting extinct, Bobs...
I'm starting to see that. I think I'm getting old. I see it more in the younger generation.

Last edited by thebobs; 09-15-2010 at 07:14 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 05:35 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,703 times
My mom gained a heck of a lot of weight after having 6 kids (!!!) and my dad still shamelessly flirted with her in front of us for as far back as I can remember. It took back problems and major surgery involving pins and rods in her spine for her to drop the weight. Her only pain killer was walking, so she'd walk, walk, walk all day long to get rid of the pain. She shed over 200 pounds.

Not exactly a relevant story, but I still refer to it a lot. My dad loved her more than ever when she was grossly overweight. True love knows no pounds.

That should be on a Hallmark card. Dang, I'm good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships