Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 07:28 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,209,575 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend is currently on a diet and off the alcohol. On Saturday night we went out to a football game where if our team lost, we were out of the competition. We won in an amazing last minute victory and all the fans were so excited. I had asked my bf earlier if he minded if I went out for a drink after the game, depending on the result. As the result was so incredible, and as I knew he was going to be on the team's website talking about the game for the rest of the night and I wasn't going to get much attention, I couldn't wait to go out and party.

I asked him again and again if he was sure he didn't want me to come home with him and he said no, go out and celebrate. The next day I was quite hungover and he was furious at me. He went off his brain telling me he had to catch the bus home all alone and that I was selfish for leaving him. I was so confused! This was coming from a man who once left me alone in the middle of the night because I had to get off the bus and use the bathroom and he didn't want to miss the beginning of yet another game we were going to so he let me get off the bus alone and wait alone at the freezing bus stop for another bus because he couldn't miss 10 measly minutes of a football game.

For the rest of the day he treated me like garbage, speaking to me terribly (he went out, and when he came back I asked him where he had been, he told me it was none of my f'ing business). I would never EVER speak to him the way he spoke to me yesterday, no matter what he'd done.

Now today I don't know whether to be mad at him or feel bad. I understand his frustration at our Sunday together being wasted because I was hungover, but I don't think he needed to speak to me the way he did. He was telling me I should show him more support on his diet/alcohol ban while encouraging me to go out and celebrate at the same time.

People ask me why I am drinking when he’s stopped, and I tell them it’s because I'm a grown woman who can make my own decisions. He quit smoking and I didn't. I dieted and he didn't. We are a couple but we are also individuals. He would never ask me to stop anything for him and I would never ask him to stop anything for me.

What do you make of it?

P.S. I know y’all are over my whingeing, but this is the only place I want to come to when I need advice. I can’t believe how moronic people are on other advice websites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 07:31 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,548,078 times
"For the rest of the day he treated me like garbage, speaking to me terribly (he went out, and when he came back I asked him where he had been, he told me it was none of my f'ing business). I would never EVER speak to him the way he spoke to me yesterday, no matter what he'd done."

"This was coming from a man who once left me alone in the middle of the night because I had to get off the bus and use the bathroom and he didn't want to miss the beginning of yet another game we were going to so he let me get off the bus alone and wait alone at the freezing bus stop for another bus because he couldn't miss 10 measly minutes of a football game."

Well, we all know who his true love is: football. I'd run, not walk away from that relationship. I wouldn't look back either. He sounds like a control freak.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:33 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,684,019 times
VG, you know my response

Old 09-12-2010, 07:36 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,025,736 times
There's no excuse for a man to treat his woman like garbage unless she's about to cut his man parts off with a butcher knife.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:38 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,983,206 times
Just another issue to pile on top of all the others you have. I don't really think there's anything anyone can say that you will want to hear or consider.

Dieting is hard. Cutting alcohol is hard if there's an underlying addiction. Both can make people crabby.

As for the drinking - Yes, you are individuals, but if he has stopped drinking you should be considerate and not drink around him. It is called being supportive. You are clearly not relationship material if you are so adamant about doing what you want to do regardless of what is going on with your partner.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:44 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,855,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
Just another issue to pile on top of all the others you have. I don't really think there's anything anyone can say that you will want to hear or consider.

Dieting is hard. Cutting alcohol is hard if there's an underlying addiction. Both can make people crabby.

As for the drinking - Yes, you are individuals, but if he has stopped drinking you should be considerate and not drink around him. It is called being supportive. You are clearly not relationship material if you are so adamant about doing what you want to do regardless of what is going on with your partner.

She isn't though she is going to a bar herself....I don't think she should have to give it up completly because he can't control himself.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:46 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,671,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
You are clearly not relationship material if you are so adamant about doing what you want to do regardless of what is going on with your partner.

Hmmm, she can't put her life on hold for him.

I understand the support part but he cannot expect her to stop doing whatever it is that she wants to do because of him.

There are ways of supporting someone without feeling like you have to be someone else around that person. That is not even fair.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM

3,966 posts, read 6,855,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
My boyfriend is currently on a diet and off the alcohol. On Saturday night we went out to a football game where if our team lost, we were out of the competition. We won in an amazing last minute victory and all the fans were so excited. I had asked my bf earlier if he minded if I went out for a drink after the game, depending on the result. As the result was so incredible, and as I knew he was going to be on the team's website talking about the game for the rest of the night and I wasn't going to get much attention, I couldn't wait to go out and party.

I asked him again and again if he was sure he didn't want me to come home with him and he said no, go out and celebrate. The next day I was quite hungover and he was furious at me. He went off his brain telling me he had to catch the bus home all alone and that I was selfish for leaving him. I was so confused! This was coming from a man who once left me alone in the middle of the night because I had to get off the bus and use the bathroom and he didn't want to miss the beginning of yet another game we were going to so he let me get off the bus alone and wait alone at the freezing bus stop for another bus because he couldn't miss 10 measly minutes of a football game.

For the rest of the day he treated me like garbage, speaking to me terribly (he went out, and when he came back I asked him where he had been, he told me it was none of my f'ing business). I would never EVER speak to him the way he spoke to me yesterday, no matter what he'd done.

Now today I don't know whether to be mad at him or feel bad. I understand his frustration at our Sunday together being wasted because I was hungover, but I don't think he needed to speak to me the way he did. He was telling me I should show him more support on his diet/alcohol ban while encouraging me to go out and celebrate at the same time.

People ask me why I am drinking when he’s stopped, and I tell them it’s because I'm a grown woman who can make my own decisions. He quit smoking and I didn't. I dieted and he didn't. We are a couple but we are also individuals. He would never ask me to stop anything for him and I would never ask him to stop anything for me.

What do you make of it?

P.S. I know y’all are over my whingeing, but this is the only place I want to come to when I need advice. I can’t believe how moronic people are on other advice websites.

What i make of it is your man is a flipping toolbox really. If that was my bf and he talked to me like that he wouldn't have to worry about seeing the big game because i would bring it to him with my size 6 foot up his ass. Serious leave this jerk because you could do better.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:47 PM

11,865 posts, read 16,983,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
She isn't though she is going to a bar herself....I don't think she should have to give it up completly because he can't control himself.
Coming home drunk, reeking of alcohol, and spending the day hungover is all the same as drinking around him.

Old 09-12-2010, 07:48 PM

17,626 posts, read 22,599,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
There's no excuse for a man to treat his woman like garbage unless she's about to cut his man parts off with a butcher knife.

Hi Lorena,

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships