Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 11:22 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango tango View Post
There's much I don't share with this board for obvious reasons. After all, I'm confident that we all have our own little secrets. But I will say that as an observer and the sometimes cursed, sometimes blessed owner of an awfully analytical mind, there has been something that I've noticed.

So many people in this world are dreadfully bored with their lives. Regardless of amount of wealth, luck, opportunity, success - the boredom of routine still sets in because, after all, eating the most amazing piece of chocolate loses its luster if it's just another facet of an ordinary day.

I think people are desperately seeking excitement - anything that elevates life to a new level emotionally. Excitement is just another emotion.

And I think that's where fantasies come into play. Not necessarily sexual, but just in general. How would you define a fantasy? To me, it's something that's out of the ordinary. Something that most people believe would rarely, if ever, happen. Something that is so beyond belief that it appears to be unattainable and can only be desired from afar.

At the risk of making myself seem like a complete lunatic, there's something in me that wants to reach out to people and grant their fantasies. Just completely make their day. Take their life and send it into whirlwind and remind them that they can feel alive... that life is not just a series of routine movements and decisions.

There's a part of me that wants to step outside of convention, to transcend past what's considered typical in society. Most fantasies aren't part of society's routine because if they were, they wouldn't be fantasies.

Oh my, I'm rambling.

Any thoughts? Please look at this from an objective point of view. There will be many more opportunities for moral and immoral to be debated, but a frank, open discussion would be nice.

I have always been one to seek variety in my life. That's why I can't have the same job forever like some can. I burn out after a few years and it's onto something new.

Routines bore the hell out of me and it makes me fantasize about lots of things. It can range from doing the wild thing in the middle of Times Square to winning the lottery and how I could change not only my life but so many others.

It would be nice if someone could come up with the contraption in the movie "Running Man" where you could have the virtual vacation/fantasy of your wish.

In the meantime.....do you have enough room in your lamp for me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 12:27 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,392,719 times
Quote:
There's much I don't share with this board for obvious reasons. After all, I'm confident that we all have our own little secrets. But I will say that as an observer and the sometimes cursed, sometimes blessed owner of an awfully analytical mind, there has been something that I've noticed.

So many people in this world are dreadfully bored with their lives. Regardless of amount of wealth, luck, opportunity, success - the boredom of routine still sets in because, after all, eating the most amazing piece of chocolate loses its luster if it's just another facet of an ordinary day.

I think people are desperately seeking excitement - anything that elevates life to a new level emotionally. Excitement is just another emotion.

And I think that's where fantasies come into play. Not necessarily sexual, but just in general. How would you define a fantasy? To me, it's something that's out of the ordinary. Something that most people believe would rarely, if ever, happen. Something that is so beyond belief that it appears to be unattainable and can only be desired from afar.

At the risk of making myself seem like a complete lunatic, there's something in me that wants to reach out to people and grant their fantasies. Just completely make their day. Take their life and send it into whirlwind and remind them that they can feel alive... that life is not just a series of routine movements and decisions.

There's a part of me that wants to step outside of convention, to transcend past what's considered typical in society. Most fantasies aren't part of society's routine because if they were, they wouldn't be fantasies.

Oh my, I'm rambling.

Any thoughts? Please look at this from an objective point of view. There will be many more opportunities for moral and immoral to be debated, but a frank, open discussion would be nice.
I tend to have the opposite problem in that I am often overstimulated rather then board and tend to like it when I have something simple or routine that lets me go on auto-pilot. Unfortunately I also tend to put personal pride on the line when I am doing something and have a desire to insure that in any given project I work diligently and in a thoughtful matter to get the best results.

As such my fantasies reconcile these two opposing objectives and tend to be completely unattainable.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:26 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,307,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
That's why I have goldfish.

When they disappoint me, I just flush 'em.

Say, why not just throw them in a pan and pan fry them for extra protein?!

LOL!!

Just kidding!!

Remember: "FISH ARE OUR FRIENDS!!!!"

Old 09-13-2010, 05:43 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,416 times
For me every moment of every day is treasured, so there are really no fantasies to fill. I enjoy waking up, stretching, and starting my day. Every sensation is a feeling I enjoy....the sun warming my skin, the smell of the Gulf in my front yard, rain on my face, the taste of iced tea....I guess you get the idea...I don't have the time or type of personality to be bored. I make my dreams come true just by living.

Old 09-13-2010, 05:51 PM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
The name escapes me right now but a famous writer said live your adventures in your 20's and write about them in your 30s...sounded like good advice that I took to apply to life. Its ones of the best things I ever did. I never wonder "what if" for the most part.

WTF was that writer? Now that is driving me bonko.

Old 09-13-2010, 10:32 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,030,292 times
Lol you guys are a fun bunch.

I was just rambling, but I should clarify and say that I was pretty much talking about movie moments, so to speak, especially in relation to other people. I guess I'm just a sucker for seeing an expression of disbelief mixed with sheer joy. But also, it can be fun to leave the boundaries of society.

Old 09-13-2010, 11:52 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
I have always been one to seek variety in my life. That's why...
The Rep Police stopped me outside your door, but be assured I'll get in somehow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklejuice
Say, why not just throw them in a pan and pan fry them for extra protein?!
LOL!!
Just kidding!!
Remember: "FISH ARE OUR FRIENDS!!!!"
EAT my friends?!?

...well, some of them, sure, but still......

And fish have always been my friends - I'm a Pisces.

Mango - sorry for the side-track. Movie moment, eh? I think I've come close on a few occasions, but never in that wide-screen, Dolby-sound, jump-out-of-your-seat manner. Much more sublime. But a strong wish, if not quite a fantasy, was fulfilled in each instance and the look I received was priceless.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:11 AM

13,608 posts, read 21,394,406 times
Quote:
Lol you guys are a fun bunch.

I was just rambling, but I should clarify and say that I was pretty much talking about movie moments, so to speak, especially in relation to other people. I guess I'm just a sucker for seeing an expression of disbelief mixed with sheer joy. But also, it can be fun to leave the boundaries of society.
My movies leave the boundary of society and can have a expression of disbelief and or sheer joy in them.

Still granting wishes?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:21 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,923 times
LOL package and sell fantasies. Have you ever seen the move, Strange Days?

"Former police detective turned street hustler Lenny Nero (Ralph Fiennes) deals in 'SQUID' recordings: experiences recorded directly from the cerebral cortex, which when played back through a MiniDisc-like device allow a user to experience all recorded sensory inputs as if actually doing it themselves."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships