Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:00 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtobeanyer View Post
To OP, your wife sounds a lot like my wife. First, ignore the people who are posting pictures of Andrea Yates. If you feel your kids are in danger, obviously do something about it. But it doesn't sound as if that is the case. And ignore those who are saying "get rid of her". She's not a dog, she's someone you've committed your life to.

Staying at home with the kids is extremely difficult for some moms. They just don't have the personality for it and the frustrations that come with raising kids can cause them to lash out. I've seen it with my own eyes. You may just want to consider having your wife go back to work and put the kids in some type of daycare. But her issues do need to be addressed regardless of what you do.

My wife suffers from depression and there is a link between the depression and the anger. Be careful about going to see a psychiatrist about this. I think it's a good idea, but in my wife's case the dr. just loaded her up with Valium and while she was no longer angry she pretty much seemed high all day long. Personally, I would suggest counseling. Talking about it is critical. It sounds funny but your wife needs to understand that this is wrong. Sometimes they get so angry that they lose sight of what is acceptable behavior.

The biggest problem is that she is modeling behavior for your kids. I don't know if you posted their ages, but they will assume this is normal behavior and they will do the same thing. If they haven't hit tantrum age yet, then you are in for a really rough spell once they do because they will throw fits of their own on a daily basis. I've seen it first hand. And obviously, this only adds to your wife's frustrations.

Give her some time off whenever possible. Definitely encourage counseling and/or anger management. But definitely do something before your kids start doing the same thing...

I agree about Andrea Yates - she had a pyschotic break precipitated by postpartum depression. She was delusional and hearing voices. Our OP's wife is just raging and temper tantruming - big difference.

However, we can not underestimate the effect her poor behavior is having on her children, their self-esteem and the favorable odds that they will themselves go on to mimic this behavior.

Given that, the OP HAS TO DO SOMETHING.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:57 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,090,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northlakemetro View Post
My wife is constantly throwing temper tantrums where she cusses and throws objects and slams her fist into the wall when she gets angry. This is not behavior that I would want my children to emulate. Any little thing can set her off and she throws these fits about once or twice a week. I try to avoid her as much as possible. She seems to have to learned this behavior growing up in her home where this was considered "normal". I would appreciate advise on how to deal with this.

This post should be the Relationships section
Avoid her?
No dont avoid her..Let her know when she throws a hissy fit you wont tolerate it.
She knows your going to let her act like a bratty child so she continues to do it.
She not at home with her parents where it was normal
Shes an adult
Take the kids and leave her and tell her your not coming back until she gets some help..
If you stay she know you will tolerate anything.
Anything sets her off??
WOW she has some major issues
and you have MORE if you stay with her and allow this

Old 09-16-2010, 03:05 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
Avoid her?
No dont avoid her..Let her know when she throws a hissy fit you wont tolerate it.
She knows your going to let her act like a bratty child so she continues to do it.
She not at home with her parents where it was normal
Shes an adult
Take the kids and leave her and tell her your not coming back until she gets some help..
If you stay she know you will tolerate anything.
Anything sets her off??
WOW she has some major issues
and you have MORE if you stay with her and allow this
The OP has quit posting so we have no clue what he's going to do or is doing.

I just hope he's doing SOMETHING - poor behavior like this should not be tolerated.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:06 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,746,678 times
Frankly I am appalled. Replace wife with husband in that original post and nobody would be talking about vows.

Old 09-16-2010, 03:14 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,059,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Frankly I am appalled. Replace wife with husband in that original post and nobody would be talking about vows.
That was my thought as well. I made that point earlier but no one responded. Who would suggest that a woman stay (and keep her children) in a home where the husband is putting his fist through the wall and throwing things around a couple times a week? Who would say that a man who becomes violently angry at the slightest little thing should be left caring for small children all day long? It would not be described as 'poor behavior' or a 'temper tantrum' if it was a man. It's a double standard for sure.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:12 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
My wife is constantly throwing temper tantrums where she cusses and throws objects and slams her fist into the wall when she gets angry. This is not behavior that I would want my children to emulate. Any little thing can set her off and she throws these fits about once or twice a week. I try to avoid her as much as possible. She seems to have to learned this behavior growing up in her home where this was considered "normal". I would appreciate advise on how to deal with this.
http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/dvp/ipv_factsheet.pdf

CDC - Injury - Choose Respect (http://www.cdc.gov/chooserespect/ - broken link)

Intimate Partner Violence | National Institute of Justice

Read and learn. What you are seeing now is a precursor of further toxic behaviors.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:16 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepgirl27 View Post
No it doesn't. The OP is concerned for his children.

Old 09-16-2010, 04:18 PM

369 posts, read 772,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I think that's a bit of a leap from what the OP has shared.

Lots of people break a few dishes to let out steam.

That doesn't necessarily mean they're going to abuse their children.

It does mean they definitely need help managing their anxiety though.
It is a precursor in a highly significant number of cases. Look at the post with the CDC links.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:55 AM

531 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagojlo View Post
Ok, but we're talking about the wife, not the husband. What's the point of saying "replace wife with husband"? Why not just say "replace punching walls with punching children"? (and cue reply saying "that is what is going to happen next" in 3...2...1...).

Don't turn the reality around, it is what it is. It's not a good thing but don't make it out like he needs to flee with the children to save their lives immediately.

The reality of raising kids is that it is never a clear, straight path. It is often very difficult and sometimes you wind up in a really bad place. But you pick yourself up and deal with it as best as you can. Being a parent brings out both the best in you and the worst in you. You have to allow yourself to make mistakes, and your partner has to allow you to make mistakes. And sometimes, when an issue is raised that obviously needs to be dealt with, you deal with it. But anyone suggesting that he should just leave is being ridiculous.

It's amazing to me how many "experts" these boards bring out. If you have not had a personal experience with what someone has posted about, then don't offer your opinion. Because you don't know what you're talking about.

Old 09-17-2010, 06:10 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,739,063 times
Quote:

From the OP's words....HE asked for advice and has not been back.
HE is concerned. HE does not want his children to emulate her behavior.

This is not normal behavior!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships