Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 03:10 PM

3,425 posts, read 6,308,333 times

Advertisements

Opinions on dating people who have no college education? I think it is horrendous! I started my Masters this semester and I can't even describe how much I love school. I look forward to going to class every week and there has not been one day so far where I left the classroom and felt like I did not learn anything new.

I have a very good friend who works as manager at a mall and has no college education, very nice girl but sometimes I really want to ask her, how come she never had the drive or the desire to go to college? I am not saying college makes a person but I think education is so incredibly important!!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:15 PM

5,987 posts, read 10,469,507 times
I didn't realize they offered Masters in Country Music! Good for you!

Education is certainly important, and I have plenty of that myself. However, formal education is not necessarily an indicator or prerequisite for success, or for being a good and interesting person.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,266,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
Opinions on dating people who have no college education? I think it is horrendous! I started my Masters this semester and I can't even describe how much I love school. I look forward to going to class every week and there has not been one day so far where I left the classroom and felt like I did not learn anything new.

I have a very good friend who works as manager at a mall and has no college education, very nice girl but sometimes I really want to ask her, how come she never had the drive or the desire to go to college? I am not saying college makes a person but I think education is so incredibly important!!
While you're busy demonstrating your elitist attitude and implying that she is an unambitious failure, why don't you also make her feel embarrassed of her middle-class or, OMG! possibly low-income background by simply asking, "How come you can't afford to go to college?"

Because that could very well be the reason why she didn't go.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:46 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Quote:
Opinions on dating people who have no college education? I think it is horrendous!
No college degree required to figure out someone is an a**!! Oh..the horror!!

Old 09-14-2010, 03:47 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:

In a previous thread you were upset with women who thought your desired lifestyle choice lacked "ambition." However, it the very same thread you chatised city people for the pursuit of what you have defined as material possessions. Now you are essentially chastising those whom, for whatever reason, have not pursued higher education.
Wooowwwww, what a hypocrite.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:48 PM

5,258 posts, read 9,141,375 times
I never finished my degree, and I feel offended by the OP's post. I consider myself to be very smart and well-spoken, and regardless of whether I have a degree, I would never want to be treated as inferior.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,560,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
While you're busy demonstrating your elitist attitude and implying that she is an unambitious failure, why don't you also make her feel embarrassed of her middle-class or, OMG! possibly low-income background by simply asking, "How come you can't afford to go to college?"

Because that could very well be the reason why she didn't go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
No college degree required to figure out someone is an a**!! Oh..the horror!!
+1 for both of you.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:50 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Hmmm....this is a dicey topic. Okay, I'm game.

What is a college degree but a scrap of paper? I mean, I have a degree from an excellent college, but does that necessarily make one smarter? And, as far as possessing a Master's is concerned, I've met plenty of people who made me realize that a graduate degree does not equate to brains.

That being said, there has to be an intellectual side to the relationship when you're not scorching the sheets. It may not manifest itself in degrees, but it sure as hell matters when it comes to knowledge and curiosity. Trust me, it is no fun to be in a relationship with someone who has limited exposure to the world and little inclination to find out more. While you may not while away the evenings discussing Schopenhauer (And, to be honest, who would?), there are any numbers of areas where the lack of any education becomes a serious drain on the conversation, whether the topic of the moment is books, history, music, politics, economics, etc. etc. etc. So unless your conversations are confined to gossip about the people in your immediate circle, there will be tangible gaps. So if you have a masters, and the person you kinda sorta like has never matriculated, I think that person being an autodidact has to be your best hope to enjoy matters.

That being said, anyone can go to college. There are enough student grants, scholarships, and grants for anyone from any income message to do so. No, they're not going to Harvard or Stanford. At the same time, any public institution will provide a fine, fine education at very affordable prices.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:51 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,335,648 times
Quote:

What field are you trying to get into? I have 2 university degrees and I can't imagine dating someone who has never gone to college either. I'm not looking down on people who haven't but I don't think we would have anything in common. Unless you are some genius entrepreneur you do need a college education to get aheas in this world.

Old 09-14-2010, 03:53 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
I never finished my degree, and I feel offended by the OP's post. I consider myself to be very smart and well-spoken, and regardless of whether I have a degree, I would never want to be treated as inferior.
Don't feel the least bit offended by someone who is as f*ed up as him. With the exception of the OP, most of us could get a date if we quit school in the 3rd grade.

P.S. You would think someone with so much higher education would not spend his time having one night stands with skanks and scouring county fairs for 20-year olds pretending to be some busted-a** -cowboy-hat-wearin' Tim McGraw wanna-be.

Last edited by seeniorita; 09-14-2010 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Add my PS dammit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships