Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 02:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
No. What are you thinking? The whole institution of marriage should not be changed because there are a MINORITY of people out there who are in open relationships. The people who WANT open relationships should state something in their vows to the effect of "forsaking all others. except when one of us feels like having some fun"
To forsake means to abandon, to give up, to leave, to renounce. To desert.

Forsake - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forsakePeople - broken link)

People in open relationships don't view extramarital sex as desertion or abandonment.

(Sorry about the wacko formatting if you saw it.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2010, 02:56 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Nope, not taking potshots, just calling out hypocrisy and double standards. Often, you compare jobs to relationships. So by your logic, anyone who likens a relationship to a job probably shouldn't be in one. But my original statement stands...you didn't like someone else's analogy so you took a shot at them. If you're going to throw dung, be prepared to have it thrown back.
There's no hypocrisy in pointing out someone else's flawed analogy. I think you're just looking for an excuse to take a shot at me. Maybe if you'd bother trying to comprehend what I posted, you'd actually understand it. When I speak of jobs and relationships, I'm referring to the search process, not jobs and relationships themselves. Meaning if you want something, whether it be a job or a partner, you have to go out there and look for it, not sit around waiting for it to come to you. It's an apt analogy, one that I'm perfectly willing to defend from people who don't agree with it. The same applies with the food analogy. That poster made a really dumb analogy when he equated people with food. Pointing out how bad it is doesn't make me a hypocrite. If that person criticized my jobs/relationship analogy, I wouldn't call them a hypocrite either. Like I said, I think you're just looking for any excuse you can to take a shot at me. Grow up.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:37 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
There's no hypocrisy in pointing out someone else's flawed analogy. I think you're just looking for an excuse to take a shot at me. Maybe if you'd bother trying to comprehend what I posted, you'd actually understand it. When I speak of jobs and relationships, I'm referring to the search process, not jobs and relationships themselves. Meaning if you want something, whether it be a job or a partner, you have to go out there and look for it, not sit around waiting for it to come to you. It's an apt analogy, one that I'm perfectly willing to defend from people who don't agree with it. The same applies with the food analogy. That poster made a really dumb analogy when he equated people with food. Pointing out how bad it is doesn't make me a hypocrite. If that person criticized my jobs/relationship analogy, I wouldn't call them a hypocrite either. Like I said, I think you're just looking for any excuse you can to take a shot at me. Grow up.
Poor widdle Denny, can't take any criticism. When confronted with your double standards you call it pot shots and tell me to grow up. Sorry, it doesn't work like that. Who are you to say the food analogy is flawed? It's all in how you look at it. Several members gave good examples but you looked right over them. When it's you being sarcastic and dismissive it's alright. Are you the only one who can offer sound analogy, to which you have an endless supply? Actually, don't answer that. You'll probably bore me with another analogy.

Last edited by Coolhand68; 09-16-2010 at 07:16 PM..

Old 09-16-2010, 06:42 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
To forsake means to abandon, to give up, to leave, to renounce. To desert.

Forsake - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forsakePeople - broken link)

People in open relationships don't view extramarital sex as desertion or abandonment.

(Sorry about the wacko formatting if you saw it.)

I'm sorry but its REALLY annoying when people start quoting dictionary definitions in threads. I'm not an idiot. I know what forsaking means.
forsaking ALL OTHERS as it pertains to the marriage vows simply means you will respect your partner and not have a marital affair or relationship with another while married to your spouse. I was making a joke about open marriages.
Obviously I am against open marriages. Call me old fashioned.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:50 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
Quote:
I'm sorry but its REALLY annoying when people start quoting dictionary definitions in threads. I'm not an idiot. I know what forsaking means.
forsaking ALL OTHERS as it pertains to the marriage vows simply means you will respect your partner and not have a marital affair or relationship with another while married to your spouse. I was making a joke about open marriages.
Obviously I am against open marriages. Call me old fashioned.
No, this is what YOUR definition of forsaking all others is, and that's fine. And that's good for your relationship. But that is NOT necessarily how all marriage vows are defined - and hey - here's something novel - NOT EVERYONE USES TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE VOWS!

Wow. I'm consistently amazed at the closed mindedness of some folks. It's not effecting you one way or another. You're in a monogamous relationship. that's awesome for you. But that doesn't mean it's the right decision for everyone.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:03 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
No, this is what YOUR definition of forsaking all others is, and that's fine. And that's good for your relationship. But that is NOT necessarily how all marriage vows are defined - and hey - here's something novel - NOT EVERYONE USES TRADITIONAL MARRIAGE VOWS!

Wow. I'm consistently amazed at the closed mindedness of some folks. It's not effecting you one way or another. You're in a monogamous relationship. that's awesome for you. But that doesn't mean it's the right decision for everyone.
I SAID its MY opinion and I have as much of a right to be against it as you have to be for it. I'm not some militant activist against open marriage.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:12 PM

1,041 posts, read 3,163,956 times
Quote:
I SAID its MY opinion and I have as much of a right to be against it as you have to be for it. I'm not some militant activist against open marriage.

Oh really? Where did you state, other than right here, that it was your opinion? If you had, I wouldn't have called you out like this. You're right. The open marriage/relationship lifestyle is not for everyone. But you know what? That's okay. Different strokes. Different folks.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
My advice is this: If you want an open relationship then don't get married. Stay single and just have sex with whoever you to want whenever you want to and no one gets hurt. Simple as that.
Bingo.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:54 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monack View Post
What makes you think that folks who are in open marriages/relationships don't share these same ideals?
Wouldn't it be kinda hard to share those types of ideals when you're sharing time, bodily fluids, etc., with others outside your marriage?

Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,863,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Bingo.

Every tueday night at the local church :-P
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships