Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2010, 01:36 PM

1,413 posts, read 3,046,728 times

Advertisements

All I know is that this thread isn't "adding up"

You say that they want to meet someone.

You also say they are "approached all the time"

And yet "they haven't dated in 10+ years"

But it's "not because they are too picky"

There's simply no way these can all be true.

If these women are still single, it's because they want to be single. PERIOD.

They are also grown women, and don't need you trying to "fix" them.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:45 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefetio View Post
All I know is that this thread isn't "adding up"

You say that they want to meet someone.

You also say they are "approached all the time"

And yet "they haven't dated in 10+ years"

But it's "not because they are too picky"

There's simply no way these can all be true.

If these women are still single, it's because they want to be single. PERIOD.

They are also grown women, and don't need you trying to "fix" them.
Exactly.

I think a lot of women give lip service to stuff they don't even believe deep down inside, just because society expects them to. I mean, heaven forfend a woman doesn't want a man. She must be cold, selfish, or a misandrist. So here, "Wah."

On some level, they're content the way they are.

I agree that it's no one else's place to "fix" them, too. If one of my friends really, truly wanted to meet a good man, I'd introduce her to one I could vouch for. That's about it. The rest is her business.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:51 PM

93 posts, read 168,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Most likely this is because those guys are bold enough to step up to the plate in situations you shy away from.
No. the problem is either i'm wrong when I think someone is interested in me, or they are just throwing bait to see if i will go for it.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Are you sure that these men are getting "good catches"? I can't imagine a "good catch" going for these type of men.
A perfectly valid point, but i'm not willing to have a conversation about someone i expressed an interest in. A good catch is someone i want to be with and i'm not attracted to trashy women.

Old 09-17-2010, 02:38 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,671,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark303 View Post
No. the problem is either i'm wrong when I think someone is interested in me, or they are just throwing bait to see if i will go for it.
Those guys don't think "Oh, she's not interested in me, guess I was wrong so I'll step off." They will pursue her regardless. Sometimes they get the girl, sometimes not. But they try.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Those guys don't think "Oh, she's not interested in me, guess I was wrong so I'll step off." They will pursue her regardless. Sometimes they get the girl, sometimes not. But they try.
I'm not going to persue someone who has clearly stated that they aren't interested in me.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,047,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Please help me understand this phenomena--Why are there so many single women over 30?? I know many who are gorgeous, talented, graduated from Universities--some undergrad and others grad school and they find themselves living alone in the home they own with a cat WHY?? They can't find a man to save their life...I don't get it. This is in Florida.

They are not high maintenance, very sweet and down to earth, as I mentioned before gorgeous...So what gives????

I know one who is 40 and NEVER has been married or have any kids. The others I mentioned above have not had children either. It is very sad to me. Most of them haven't dated in years..I'm talk 10 plus years!!!! I know they are very grounded in God and they say that is what keeps them sane---their faith. I commend that but I find that sad.

Most of them have had their heartbroken--so I don't know if they may have something to do with it. I have tried to intervene but it didn't work out. One of them who is 38 is sooooooooooo depressed she sounds suicidal at times. She will be on meds soon, but I can understand that pain of lonliness. I mean if they were unattractive perhaps I could understand then, but that isn't the case. And they are different ethnicities, black(very attractive), white(attractive), and latina(very very very attractive). For the most part, most are handling it well, but I just don't get it...any thoughts...
Just a couple of thoughts from a guy:

First, and how to say this without sounding harsh - most straight women are not very good judges of what most straight men will find attractive in a woman. When I have been presented in the past with "you have to meet my gorgeous friend" what I usually got was a very thin gal who was heavily into fashion and makeup - not necessarily bad, but I was not as impressed with her as her girlfriend was. Different guys of course have different ideas about attractiveness, but in general we are different from the ladies on this.

Second, sounds like some or all of your friends are "church ladies" - which may or may not be what the guys are looking for. Probably this loses them more potential dates than it gains.

Third, what's all this talk about children? If these gals are watching their biological clocks tick down, there are a lot of guys who don't want any part of that. And by the time they are 30, they can see it coming a mile away.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:35 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,061,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
Just a couple of thoughts from a guy:

First, and how to say this without sounding harsh - most straight women are not very good judges of what most straight men will find attractive in a woman. When I have been presented in the past with "you have to meet my gorgeous friend" what I usually got was a very thin gal who was heavily into fashion and makeup - not necessarily bad, but I was not as impressed with her as her girlfriend was. Different guys of course have different ideas about attractiveness, but in general we are different from the ladies on this.

Second, sounds like some or all of your friends are "church ladies" - which may or may not be what the guys are looking for. Probably this loses them more potential dates than it gains.

Third, what's all this talk about children? If these gals are watching their biological clocks tick down, there are a lot of guys who don't want any part of that. And by the time they are 30, they can see it coming a mile away.
Hey Mitch! I think you may be the voice of reason. You make some good points. But I am not the only one who thinks they are pretty. I have gone out with them and see how men respond. Some are more attractive than others. But I never mentioned anything about them wanting kids. A matter of fact we really talk about that. Not sure where that came from...maybe due their age you thought perhaps they wanted children.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:25 PM

6 posts, read 6,388 times
Wen everyone tries to dominate, and nobody to compromise, you'll be surrounded by loneliness.
One of the big reasons.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:04 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,467,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
Please help me understand this phenomena--Why are there so many single women over 30?? I know many who are gorgeous, talented, graduated from Universities--some undergrad and others grad school and they find themselves living alone in the home they own with a cat WHY?? They can't find a man to save their life...I don't get it. This is in Florida.

I'm allergic to cats so that's a red flag right there...the only cats I like are the LOLCATS on the internet where I watch their amusing ways electronically.

[not really a red flag but I am allergic to cats]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships