Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 07:03 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,347,484 times

Advertisements

Frankly if you think your friend would be so unkind as to correct your husband, I would probably recommend "de-friending" him. I have a friend that constantly spells words wrong, and yes, English isn't her first language, though she did come here when she was a little kid, so IMO she should know better at this point, but I would never dream of going on FB and saying anything about her spelling. For one, that would only show that she is a bad speller and I am rude.... So maybe leave it alone, and if your "friend" makes some sort of comment than you should get rid of him. And when you de-friend someone, they do not get a notification of it, you just disappear from their friend list.

You are not embarrassed by his poor spelling, are you?

Oh, and did you say you deleted your husband's post? Because that would be wrong, I don't care how many words were spelled incorrectly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 07:28 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Your English major friend can take his grammar police antics and shove it up his ar$e. But not so deep enough coz that can come out of his mouth again

People make grammar errors all the time. Don't delete anything hereafter. If someone picks on his grammar, unfriend them

Old 09-17-2010, 07:43 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Your English major friend can take his grammar police antics and shove it up his ar$e. But not so deep enough coz that can come out of his mouth again

People make grammar errors all the time. Don't delete anything hereafter. If someone picks on his grammar, unfriend them
LOL! Thanks. Yes I was thinking the same thing. Life is too short for dealing with people like this. I really don't understand the whole making fun of someone about their spelling thing. Seems quite petty and immature. So anyway, turns out the self righteous english major was the least of my worries. My husband called me this morning asking if he has been making errors on facebook. I asked why and he said that his nephew made a comment to him about it. I should have known his family might be the worst offenders.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
I'm not gonna lie, as a lot of people on this board know, poor spelling irritates me. However, if I knew someone was dyslexic I wouldn't say anything.

I probably shouldn't say anything at all, but when a post has 20+ spelling errors and at the same time reeks of superiority sometimes I just can't help myself.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Frankly if you think your friend would be so unkind as to correct your husband, I would probably recommend "de-friending" him. I have a friend that constantly spells words wrong, and yes, English isn't her first language, though she did come here when she was a little kid, so IMO she should know better at this point, but I would never dream of going on FB and saying anything about her spelling. For one, that would only show that she is a bad speller and I am rude.... So maybe leave it alone, and if your "friend" makes some sort of comment than you should get rid of him. And when you de-friend someone, they do not get a notification of it, you just disappear from their friend list.

You are not embarrassed by his poor spelling, are you?

Oh, and did you say you deleted your husband's post? Because that would be wrong, I don't care how many words were spelled incorrectly.
Well my online "friend" had perfect timing. I logged into facebook and he had posted an article this morning with the title, "Learn how to F ing Spell!" So I had to say something. We went back and forth and basically his idea was that people are stupid if they cant spell incorrectly. I thanked him for his friendship over the past few years but I think it has run its course. I deleted him.

No not embarrassed by my husband's spelling just over protective I guess whether or not that is wrong. I told him today that I deleted his reply on my post. I told him that I was feeling guilty about it and wanted to apologize because maybe I over stepped my bounds. He said he would have been really upset if I had left it knowing no one could read it. I told him facebook sucks anyway but told him about the program that other poster suggested. He said he would like to look into that. I think he was a little hurt that his nephew made a comment to him already.

Old 09-17-2010, 08:57 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,547,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fallingwater View Post
Well my online "friend" had perfect timing. I logged into facebook and he had posted an article this morning with the title, "Learn how to F ing Spell!" So I had to say something. We went back and forth and basically his idea was that people are stupid if they cant spell incorrectly. I thanked him for his friendship over the past few years but I think it has run its course. I deleted him.

No not embarrassed by my husband's spelling just over protective I guess whether or not that is wrong. I told him today that I deleted his reply on my post. I told him that I was feeling guilty about it and wanted to apologize because maybe I over stepped my bounds. He said he would have been really upset if I had left it knowing no one could read it. I told him facebook sucks anyway but told him about the program that other poster suggested. He said he would like to look into that. I think he was a little hurt that his nephew made a comment to him already.
Does this "friend" know your husband is dyslexic?

Old 09-17-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
Does this "friend" know your husband is dyslexic?
I told him a while back when he posted an article of the same magnitude. He never responded to me. So I guess I took it as it gave him food for thought but wasnt completely convinced he could see that his words and ideas about people are hurtful. I guess I was right.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM

396 posts, read 732,279 times
Quote:
Yes, people like Alexander Graham Bell, Albert Einstein, Leonardo da Vinci, Harvey Cushing, George Washington... all incredibly stupid people. Yup, definitely stupid.

I'm sorry this guy was such an idiot... and believe me, I understand the "protective" thing... I feel that way about my hubby. It isn't that he needs me to protect him, he certainly doesn't - but that doesn't stop me from feeling that way.

Old 09-17-2010, 09:26 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,708,171 times
Quote:

He is not a friend

Old 09-17-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
I'm not gonna lie, as a lot of people on this board know, poor spelling irritates me. However, if I knew someone was dyslexic I wouldn't say anything.

I probably shouldn't say anything at all, but when a post has 20+ spelling errors and at the same time reeks of superiority sometimes I just can't help myself.
Thank you! You understand what I mean. Although I am not one for pointing out people's spelling errors, I see people that do and on a consistent basis. Most people that spell badly have a problem. You can take stock in this. I can't imagine anyone logging onto a public forum and intentionally misspell thinking its cool or something. My husband is very intelligent and one of the best debaters I have ever met. He has strong opinions and ideas. Unfortunately his ideas and opinions do not translate well in the written form. I have been on these public forums long enough to know that people will dismiss the original point and go for the spelling errors or if it is simply hard to read. Nothing against you personally and I appreciate that you are honest but this is exactly the issue that had me originally concerned. I would think that most people would not want to see their loved one ripped apart over something and its not because I am embarrassed by him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships