Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 11:42 PM

72,407 posts, read 18,195,530 times

Advertisements

Yes of course,I will tell you the name of the store tomorrow.I can't remember the English name. The translation is Ting Pang Tse (The Fat Ting). Remember that store?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2007, 08:53 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,085,436 times
Most of the Asian women where I live are here legally so I don't think they are opportunistic at all. But I would be wary of having a relationship with anyone who was having immigration/citizenship issues.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:09 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,905,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
I have been told many times that the Asian women have changed.That they only look for money or a green card. I think it has to do with the age.Probably the younger ones are smarter,have better jobs,so they have become like that,what do you think? Have you had a bad experience?
Asian women have changed..the 1940's subserviance(sp?) asian/south asia..is Looooonnnnngggg gone. In fact many of the women I know, they wear the pants in the family LOLOL.
'
And why are these men looking overseas to find a mate...its one thing to be attracted to the physical features of a different ethnicity or race..but to single it out and look for marriage..when their are plenty of picking here...hmmmnnnn?

Now to address the second question of oppurtunists....all people CAN be oppurtunists. I was brought up here..but in my country..there really is no need to live because of all the outsourcing....and you can live REALLY nice on an outsourced salary, have a staff of servants (yes they call them that)..heck even the servants have servants .....lol. 90% of the women have nannies, to be extra liberated you "can" drive..but honestly both male and female usually have a drver(more upper class)..on staff.

When I go visit my relatives, we had a driver for our entire stay, the kids were taken care off, etc etc.

BUT I missed my independance actually.

So my recent immigrant friends, some of them actually prefer the pampered lifestyle of having tea in bed (had that at grandmas on my our first day)..tea, biscuits and toast delivered warm in bed....it was nice..but to RELY on that treatment...got old really fast.

So quite frankly the only thing that I could see appealing is just moving to a "first world country"..less pollution, schools..to ecape the poverty ridden streets...

I know of a couple you could call oppurtunists...both came over on a visa, got their work experience for an american country and moved back home to be with family. No one was harmed, the company got great talent from two consultants, they got the work experience, everyone was happy.

As far as marrying for money..most smart couples today are looking for a good match. I mean love is love is love..but you still have to pay a mortgage, rent, gas, electricty and car payment. After the "la-la" land wears off, reality sets in....and while there is still rooom(and there should be) for the "ga-ga moments"...I dont think there is anything wrong for BOTH sexes to look for a mate that they can build a nice life with.

Whats a nice life...thats up to individual interpretation..and once you find that within yourself, then you can find someone that meets your guidlines.

Dont get me wrong, as a female..I truly believe you have to bring something to the table yourself to land a good catch, likewise as a male, you have to have SOME redeeming quality as well.

Its not a business negotiation..but these days is really no reason not to ask questions of a potential mate of what they do, where they want to go, what are they looking for, maybe they want to move out of state, nothing wrong with doing a background check.....these days I see nothing wrong with even checking credit.

I am not saying do it on your first date..but at that weird stage of more than just dating and less than a sig other--and only if you have any sort of feeling that this person could be "the one". And you should have confidence in yourself knowing that not every tom, dick or harry could be the one, because that could be very embarrasing!

Who wants to get married only to find out that there new mate has awful credit and cannot get a loan, or has a DWI on their record...and cannot be insured. Too personal some say..not so at all.

I have seen it happen and my girlfriends have come crying to me on how they cannot get approved for something because they didnt know the guys credit was crappy..yet everything else is great.

So as far as marrying for money..there are many other factors besides race, oppurtunistic attitudes and even farther on the list---what ethnicity or race you are--in fact there are MORE important factors that you should be looking for..when dealing with a mate..but most of all, be confident in yourself and what you can offer someone too.

Old 07-01-2007, 09:20 AM

72,407 posts, read 18,195,530 times
You are right mum2gurls,well said. it has been bothering me for a while,there are opportunist in any culture.I just want to warn some men to be careful.

Old 07-01-2007, 10:16 AM
tao

721 posts, read 3,188,545 times
I've never heard of Asian women being opportunists. I thought that was more of an issue with Russian women - the mail-order Russian bride thing has been the topic of many a documentary on the Discovery channel and TLC.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:22 PM

76 posts, read 223,689 times
I know that African Men are.
Quote:
I have been told many times that the Asian women have changed.That they only look for money or a green card. I think it has to do with the age.Probably the younger ones are smarter,have better jobs,so they have become like that,what do you think? Have you had a bad experience?

Old 07-01-2007, 12:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Wow. I have been married for 12 years and I couldn't answer that one!

DH uses the bathroom downstairs in the morning so that he doesn't wake me up. All his toiletries are in that bathroom and I rarely even go in there, much less look at what color toothbrush he is using this week!

Dawn

Quote:
I live in the San Gabriel Valley,by the way..Monterey Park is called Little Taipei.Asians everywhere,so it is likely that things like this will happen more often.I even went to the immigration office because someone I knew wanted a translator.They were not sure if they are married for such reasons,Questions were asked if she know what color toothbrush he was using

Old 07-01-2007, 12:46 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
Ok, isn't this a sexist question? I think Asian men can be opportunists too!

Dawn

Old 07-01-2007, 01:47 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
I believe some Asian women have seen an opportunity and taken it. Asian women do tend to look younger than they are and because a lot of men like Asian women to begin with, they choose each other. If an older wealthy man happens to want a companion and an attractive young lady wants to be that companion, I say go for it.

I do have a Filipina friend that agreed to marry an American only to have second thoughts on her wedding day. It wasn't until she stopped to think whether it was worth staying in the country to get married, did she realize that she did in fact love the guy after all. She wanted to have a life with HIM, not just in America.

They have been married I think about 8 years now with two little girls. And trust me, if she didn't love him, she's have been gone years ago with everything that's happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships