Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2007, 10:18 PM

72,408 posts, read 18,196,480 times

Advertisements

I have been told many times that the Asian women have changed.That they only look for money or a green card. I think it has to do with the age.Probably the younger ones are smarter,have better jobs,so they have become like that,what do you think? Have you had a bad experience?
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 10:29 PM

2,267 posts, read 3,295,611 times
That had never crossed my mind...I don't generally look at someone and come up with an assumption about them based on their race...

Old 06-30-2007, 10:37 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
Hmm, who isn't an opportunist? There are plenty of non-Asian gold-diggers as there are plenty of other non-Asians looking for a man who's a citizen.

Now, I'm assuming you just want to specifically talk about Asian women in which case, yes, I have known a few who look for the rich men and who look for the green cards.

You can be smart/intelligent and still need an American citizen to sponsor your citizenship. I don't think it's age (although I'm sure that may play a roll) but rather desparation. If you are desparate enough, you will do just about anything to get what you want whether it be money or a green card.

Maybe you are looking for specific stories. Well, I know a relationship where a 40-something Asian woman married a 70-something Asian man. Yes she needed a green card and he needed company. They say it was love but I beg to differ but who am I to judge? She got what she wanted and he got companionship and somebody to look after him.

My cousin needed a green card and she married a citizen. She's smart, has a job so what category is she in: the ones who look for the green card or the smart one with a good job? Beats me.

Old 06-30-2007, 10:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
Once upon a time, an Iranian gentleman declared his undying love for me and proposed immediate marriage. Strange, we had never even been out on a date. HMMM, think he wanted to stay in the US?

He was mighty cute though!

Old 06-30-2007, 10:49 PM

The reason I am mentioning this is that more and more Caucasian men are asking me about it.Some of them are burned because they married these asian women,then later would just leave those men,some asian women don't care.There are so many bizzare stories,not sure if I should mention.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:03 PM

yellowsnow - Hey, if he's cute at least he'll be eyecandy!

dragonten - Actually, through the grapevine, I heard a similar story happened to a classmate I knew in high school. I guess when you're "in love", you don't see things clearly, eh? I'm sure in hindsight, these men probably saw signs but just chose to ignore it.

I've never been asked that question (I'm Asian). That's so weird you mention this though. I guess I never really thought anybody could dupe a person for a greencard. All the stories I knew have been mutual agreements/love.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 PM

255 posts, read 821,362 times
I'm with foma -- I think there are opportunists of every race, and both genders. Why are these Caucasian men you refer to looking for Asian women? It seems to me that they may benefit from a little self-introspection. I certainly hope these aren't men who are looking for the old stereotype of the Asian woman -- a subservient, dependent wife whose life revolves around her husband. Asian women are more empowered now, and that likely makes them have higher expectations of a relationship and lower tolerance for unacceptable aspects than they may have had in the past.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderlust07 View Post
I certainly hope these aren't men who are looking for the old stereotype of the Asian woman -- a subservient, dependent wife whose life revolves around her husband. Asian women are more empowered now
Yeah, any man who is attracted to this "type" of woman needs a wake up call b'c they are becoming few and far between - especially ABCs. They may still get these types who have just come here or something but even mainlanders are becoming more independent and self-reliant.

Old 06-30-2007, 11:33 PM

I live in the San Gabriel Valley,by the way..Monterey Park is called Little Taipei.Asians everywhere,so it is likely that things like this will happen more often.I even went to the immigration office because someone I knew wanted a translator.They were not sure if they are married for such reasons,Questions were asked if she know what color toothbrush he was using

Old 06-30-2007, 11:35 PM

dragonten - off topic question but you know of any places that sell "stinky tofu" in Little Taipei? I haven't had those in years!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships