Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 05:08 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
I just came across this article in the local paper.

Sexual aggression is now a no-tolerance policy at four Tucson nightclubs.

The Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault is working with the bars to train employees to intervene when they see flirting cross the line to harassment.

New program aims to discourage sexual harassment at bars

My question is - who is to say where this line is...?! I certainly don't advocate sexual harassment and this topic doesn't really concern me on a personal level as I rarely set foot in bars, but I still think this is going too far! The sexual harassment policies at the workplace were also first welcomed and eventually scared people away from any interaction with coworkers. Should we expect the same to happen in the places meant for leisure socialization?! I may have led a sheltered life, but so far I've been perfectly capable of getting rid of unwanted attention on my own.
Welcome to Amerika.

Quote:
Quite frankly, I don't expect much support on this topic because the majority of Americans thrive on the idea of constantly being saved from themselves in each and every area and there are quite a few raging feminists, but in my opinion the intervention in people's personal lives has become totally unbearable.
Well, you have my support on this - I think it's ridiculous.

Quote:
Speaking of bars, a few days ago I saw a poll asking whether people think it is acceptable to bring babies to bars because poor single parents have hard time going out! So, first we can't smoke in bars; second, we can't flirt in bars; third, babies start patronizing bars... Of course, in most of the car-dependent country we can't even drink in bars unless we want DUI's because of the lifestyle. What's fourth? I'd say serving milk shakes in bars, but that'd be quite redundant as many places already do that. Why don't we just shut them down?! Can't get safer than that, right?!
This country's "leadership" spends far too much time trying to save people from themselves. If they'd just let people do what they naturally do, I think the gene pool would be cleaned up rather quickly.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
Sounds like they are really having a problem in that part of town
This is a college and generally bar area. College kids definitely CAN get rowdy, but come to think of it, most of them are almost out of college before they're even "allowed" to drink. In any event, there's a large young crowd out there.

Quote:
I mean I have witnessed the odd occasion when a guy has stepped over the line in a Bar/Club. But this problem normally sorts itself out.
Exactly.

Quote:
Still all this talk of groping brings back memories of my younger days. I lost count when either me or my mates got our bum pinched walking past groups of women in bars and clubs. There was nothing you could do about it because none of the girls would fess up. Not that I'm complaining...still some of those girls had really sharp nails
Really? Wow! It's true I'm not a bar fly and may not be aware of what's going on... Even when I have been in bars it's been in the early hours of the evening.

When I was in school, in early puberty the boys used to grab for boobs, too. Had it been here, they'd be juvies on Ritalin and we'd be visiting shrinks on a regular basis and taking antidepressants. Somehow all of us turned out to be productive and normal people.

Who knows... maybe some breakthrough magical device for having sex with an I-Phone or something is in the works and the pesky population who still looks for humans has to be prepared for the wonders of the future. Or maybe just the sales of dildos and dolls are slacking off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Welcome to Amerika.
Oh, Sifu, it'll be 15 miserable years next week... I know it's nothing new, but it still outrages me.

Quote:
This country's "leadership" spends far too much time trying to save people from themselves. If they'd just let people do what they naturally do, I think the gene pool would be cleaned up rather quickly.
Yep, the natural selection does its job quite well! I remember early on my husband at the time was telling me about OSHA as he was dealing with it. All the rules aimed the survival of the morons.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:44 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
Did you really compare banning 'over the top flirting' to the persecution of the jews?

Old 09-19-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Oh, Sifu, it'll be 15 miserable years next week... I know it's nothing new, but it still outrages me.
My condolences.

Quote:
Yep, the natural selection does its job quite well! I remember early on my husband at the time was telling me about OSHA as he was dealing with it. All the rules aimed the survival of the morons.
Back in the day when I was safety manager for several companies I had to deal with them all the time - the rules they had were insane.

Old 09-19-2010, 01:59 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyandScary View Post
I have witnessed the odd occasion when a guy has stepped over the line in a Bar/Club. But this problem normally sorts itself out. Another Guy/Girl always steps in and if not then its the bouncer. So Generally these laws are not needed
I "sorted out" one of these problems, back in the day. He was standing behind me, and his hand went where it shouldn't have. I turned around and clocked him so fast he never saw it coming. I didn't have any more problems with him.
My law worked just fine.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I "sorted out" one of these problems, back in the day. He was standing behind me, and his hand went where it shouldn't have. I turned around and clocked him so fast he never saw it coming. I didn't have any more problems with him.
My law worked just fine.
Good thing he wasn't a lawyer.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:04 PM

37,615 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Good thing he wasn't a lawyer.
If he had been, he surely would not have been making a living at it.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:06 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Did you really compare banning 'over the top flirting' to the persecution of the jews?
Apparently you're not familiar with the poem and the various variations of it:

WebWeaver's World: First they came for the Jews... variations on a theme

Scroll down for the current trends.

Old 09-19-2010, 02:16 PM

3,440 posts, read 5,717,968 times
It does not surprise me, this is feminist America....

Old 09-19-2010, 02:26 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
I just came across this article in the local paper.

Sexual aggression is now a no-tolerance policy at four Tucson nightclubs.

The Southern Arizona Center Against Sexual Assault is working with the bars to train employees to intervene when they see flirting cross the line to harassment.

[URL="http://azstarnet.com/news/local/article_3011383e-76e7-59b5-85ee-1979d23f66f3.html"]New program aims to discourage sexual harassment at bars[/URL]
Isn't that what bouncers are for in the first place? What is this "training" nonsense?

Seriously, back in my 20s, when my chicas and I went out to bars and clubs, if the men got too pushy and didn't take our "no" for an answer, they got the Look of Death from the bartenders and bouncers, if not an outright, "Did you not hear the lady? Leave her alone."

If a man made unwanted physical contact (grabbing, goosing, pinching, etc.), we took care of it ourselves, usually with a shove or a slap, and the bartenders and bouncers were right behind us grabbing the guys by the collars and belts and showing them the door. Often, some of the other gents in the joint would be more than happy to step in, as well.

Has society disintegrated that much? Have men have gotten away with being louts and lechers such that now club and bar staff need training in how to stop harassment and assaults? And are women that afraid to defend themselves? Because I'll tell ya, the last guy who grabbed my arse in a bar dang near lost his teeth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships