Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 02:53 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Need some advice from ladies especially, but from guys who have successfully asked out a shopgirl as well.

A couple weeks back I couldn't find my headphones on my day off, so I walked to the Best Buy near me to get a new pair. As I was standing there making my decision, I felt eyes on me - the wall of headphones is on the other side of the register, and there was a pretty cute Asian gal who worked there looking at me. I smiled at her, she smiled back, then looked away a bit quickly.

I made my choice, got in line, and then nearly stopped dead in my tracks - I'd seen this girl on the bus before. Probably the bustiest non-obese Asian gal I've ever seen, and adorable to boot! She had just finished up with a customer; looked up and saw me; and quickly pulled out a piece of paper and started writing on it.

The two people in front of me got called by other clerks, and then she quit writing very enthusiastically told me she could help me. I was polite and made some idle chit-chat with her, and she seemed to be blushing. I made direct eye contact and she smiled and did the whole look-away, look-back thing; at the end, when she asked if I needed a bag, I said, "nah, it's okay, I think I'll just go ahead and put them on," and she started laughing before the last word had left my mouth. So, it seems like there's some degree of mutual interest there.

Here's the deal though: I've only ever asked girls whom I don't know out at shows, galleries, etc: places where I know that we at the very least have something in common. We're somewhere near the same age (I'm 26; she looks like she's probably early-mid 20's); she has numerous ear piercings and when I've seen her on the bus she wears a black hoodie and vans so she has a kind of "alt rock"-ish vibe to her, and I play guitar; so there are a few things there that I can kind of assume, but I just don't really know how to go about asking her out.

I don't want to cross the line from "cool/nice/hot/interesting guy" to "creepy guy." And unfortuantely, she works at a Best Buy - I don't need any electronics, really; it's not like Walgreen's, where I go everyday to buy a soda and know most of the clerks.

So, what would you all recommend I do here? It's one of those situations where if I don't do anything, I'll never forgive myself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 03:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 5,987,379 times
Walk in the store, introduce yourself to her. Tell her you'd like to meet for a cup of coffee or glass of wine after work. If she is not showing any positive signs - simply say you know she's working and leave your business card with her - asking her to call you if she'd like to. If she is "positive" ask her for her number & give her your card. Keep if light, friendly, not demanding - be quick remembering she is at work. Giving her your card is a good way to be non-threatening, let her know you are not a kook, you are a real person. Dress nicely, remember how you look will speak for you.
Best wishes.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:05 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,563,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
It's one of those situations where if I don't do anything, I'll never forgive myself
And there's your answer.
Oh, and don't call her a shopgirl.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:31 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
And there's your answer.
Oh, and don't call her a shopgirl.
Yes whatever you do don't say "shopgirl would you go out with me" I have never heard of this term used to describe someone who works in a store. Would she not be a sales associate? When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to ask a girl out who likes to shop

Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,170,141 times
go back and buy a 60 inch hdtv

that way if she says no you still have a 60 inch hdtv

Old 09-01-2010, 03:33 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
I say, the creepier you are, the more it shows you really care.

Like stop into the Best Buy everyday, and just ask her where the bathroom is. Then never use it, and buy a weird magazine. You'll have her hand in marriage by Halloween.

Old 09-01-2010, 03:51 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
Yes whatever you do don't say "shopgirl would you go out with me" I have never heard of this term used to describe someone who works in a store. Would she not be a sales associate? When I saw the title of this thread I thought you were going to ask a girl out who likes to shop
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, published 1913 by C. & G. Merriam Co.
[Shop´girl`
n.1.A girl employed in a shop.
Don't worry, there's no way in hell that I would ever call someone by their vocation. She has a name badge, either way

Old 09-01-2010, 03:52 PM

5,143 posts, read 5,406,461 times
Quote:
Don't worry, there's no way in hell that I would ever call someone by their vocation. She has a name badge, either way
Can we guess?

I'll take the first three:

Lawanda
Ruth
Best Buy

Old 09-01-2010, 04:05 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
OMG...when I read it all I could think of was Eliza Doolittle. I was like, What on earth is a 19-th century British linguist doing posting on CityData??

Now all I can do is picture this Best Buy girl with coal smudged on her cheeks and a few wilted daisies in her hands, LOL.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:06 PM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:

You do realize that definition is from 1913 right????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships