Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 09:48 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times

Advertisements

I remember another poster on city data that said whenever his parents tell him he should have kids, he says "if you want me to have kids so badly, why don't you pay for them and raise them"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 09:52 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chica_bella813 View Post
With all due respect, you can't relate to this thread in the least. You are married to a physician(read another one of your posts that stated that) and you have children and you don't have to work unless you want to. You have it made in the shade. Alot of women would love to be a doctor's wife and have great children and have the luxury of not having to work, that being an option if they chose. But that isn't everyone's reality.

Society looks highly upon a woman like you and society feels that because of whom you have married,that in and of itself is an accomplishment. Society can and will make a woman who is extremely single and up there in age and alone on weekends feel as if she is missing something.

By nature women are nurturers. We have that innate desire to want to be loved and reciprocate that love, and when you are in a position where that is not possible that is distressing to some. It has no bearing on you because you probably have never felt that pain, and that is why you are able to answer the hypothetical question with ease, and grace and with no resolute of backing down from your stance of singleness. But Mrs. Stewart the reality is it is not that easy. At one point or another that single woman feels as if she has missed the boat and has no concrete explanation as to why. So with her being asked that often enough, she then begins to wonder and ask herself the same question. If she is asked that often enough that will play a damaging role on her psyche and she may start to feel less desirable and devalued because after all these years she still has no one to share her life with. If she had a significant other at least her love tank would be getting filled, but in this case she is completely alone and that is not easy in this day and age.
Let's break this down...

We are all asked ridiculous questions or people make moronic statements ALL the time! I had several miscarriages and there was always some idiot that would say something like "Ohhhh, it's ok...you can have more" or "Just think, now you have a sweet little baby watching over you from heaven" or "just try not to think about it" or "well, at least the child wasn't actually born yet and you actually loved it!"....

Who the heck says garbage like that? People who don't know what to say do things like that! They meant no harm they were just not equipped to say what I needed them to say.

Just because I am married to someone in the medical field does not mean I am not pressured to work full time when the kids are back in school. Actually, I'll bet someone asks me at least 3 times a week when I will be back to work full time....I could take that as a way to feel inferior to other women who have stayed full time in the work force OR I can decide these folks are making small talk and want to connect on some level...doesn't bother me either way because truthfully, I am content in my station in life and it is none of their business if I work or not.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM

2,106 posts, read 3,062,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstewart View Post
Let's break this down...

We are all asked ridiculous questions or people make moronic statements ALL the time! I had several miscarriages and there was always some idiot that would say something like "Ohhhh, it's ok...you can have more" or "Just think, now you have a sweet little baby watching over you from heaven" or "just try not to think about it" or "well, at least the child wasn't actually born yet and you actually loved it!"....

Who the heck says garbage like that? People who don't know what to say do things like that! They meant no harm they were just not equipped to say what I needed them to say.

Just because I am married to someone in the medical field does not mean I am not pressured to work full time when the kids are back in school. Actually, I'll bet someone asks me at least 3 times a week when I will be back to work full time....I could take that as a way to feel inferior to other women who have stayed full time in the work force OR I can decide these folks are making small talk and want to connect on some level...doesn't bother me either way because truthfully, I am content in my station in life and it is none of their business if I work or not.
I salute you

Old 09-21-2010, 10:40 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
And OP next time they say "So when are you going to have kids?" Walk over to the first man you see...say excuse me "Want to make babies?".....Look back at that person and say- "See you in 9 months, you better be free because you are babysitting!!!"

lol j/k!
Haha, that reminds me of when I was newly divorced, my son SOOOO wanted me to get married so he could have a brother or sister. He put a cardboard sign on our mailbox saying "Mom for sale. Free kid included!"

Little darlin'.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Haha, that reminds me of when I was newly divorced, my son SOOOO wanted me to get married so he could have a brother or sister. He put a cardboard sign on our mailbox saying "Mom for sale. Free kid included!"

Little darlin'.
OMG, that's hilarious! Poor kiddo...

When I was little I also wanted a brother or a sister, but my parents were living in the equivalent of a studio apartment at the time and couldn't do it. Mom told me she was asking me where we're gonna put the baby and I found a solution - in a box under their bed!

Old 09-21-2010, 10:46 PM

13,784 posts, read 26,249,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
OMG, that's hilarious! Poor kiddo...

When I was little I also wanted a brother or a sister, but my parents were living in the equivalent of a studio apartment at the time and couldn't do it. Mom told me she was asking me where we're gonna put the baby and I found a solution - in a box under their bed!
Sierra, I would have given you my brother! When my parents told me my mother was pregnant I told them I wanted a sister or a puppy but a brother was out of the question... Needless to say, my parents bought me a puppy shortly after my baby brother came home

Old 09-21-2010, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Sierra, I would have given you my brother! When my parents told me my mother was pregnant I told them I wanted a sister or a puppy but a brother was out of the question... Needless to say, my parents bought me a puppy shortly after my baby brother came home
Well, I preferred a sister, too! At the time I was still having a vague idea of possibly having one child, I also wanted a girl. There's nothing like dressing up a girl like a doll and they're usually sweet and quiet... before reaching puberty that is! Boys are just dirty and destructive! I can't stand them between the ages of maybe 7 and 16...

Old 09-21-2010, 10:53 PM

Quote:
When my brother was born, I held him for a little bit, then said "You can take him back to the hospital, now". Can you see the love?

Old 09-21-2010, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
When my brother was born, I held him for a little bit, then said "You can take him back to the hospital, now". Can you see the love?
He's sooooo cute! That's one of the cutest babies I've seen (looks like a doll)! So are you!

Old 09-21-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
He's sooooo cute! That's one of the cutest babies I've seen (looks like a doll)! So are you!
I remember thinking he was really red. And what was up with my hair??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships