Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 11:10 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I remember thinking he was really red. And what was up with my hair??
At least he wasn't bald! You have a bit of a bedroom hair, but you were a very sweet girl who I'm sure has grown into a beautiful woman!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 11:11 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
At least he wasn't bald! You have a bit of a bedroom hair, but you were a very sweet girl who I'm sure has grown into a beautiful woman!
Well, my pic is in my profile. I still have "bedroom hair", LOL

Old 09-21-2010, 11:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
Well, my pic is in my profile. I still have "bedroom hair", LOL
Ha-ha, you do! And all kinds of faces, too!

Old 09-22-2010, 12:14 AM

1,994 posts, read 3,211,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I remember another poster on city data that said whenever his parents tell him he should have kids, he says "if you want me to have kids so badly, why don't you pay for them and raise them"
I like this. Others have suggested saying things like this. I have never thought about this kind of stuff as a comeback, I thought it might sound a little rude, but now I actually can’t wait to be asked again! lol

The hard part for me is being looked at like a monster. The look of “what the hell is wrong with her that she doesn’t want children”?

Old 09-22-2010, 12:33 AM

3,622 posts, read 5,813,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
I like this. Others have suggested saying things like this. I have never thought about this kind of stuff as a comeback, I thought it might sound a little rude, but now I actually can’t wait to be asked again! lol

The hard part for me is being looked at like a monster. The look of “what the hell is wrong with her that she doesn’t want children”?
Give them extreme eye contact back. Don't even blink.

I find this makes people uncomfortable.

Old 09-22-2010, 07:40 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,686,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
I mean, a few questions here and there I can handle, it's the complete inundation by strangers, clients, friends alike that's throwing me for a loop. It's like they all secretly got together and conspired to ask me this on different days. I know they didn't, but people who don't know each other asking you the same exact question is really kind of bizarre, isn't it?
I admit that is rather bizarre. I do think asking about someone's kids is common conversation, but in social settings--not really at work. It sounds like you get asked about having kids more than I do, and there isn't anything obvious about me that indicates I'm a mom. It's not like I have a diaper bag on my shoulder or whatever.

Just talking off the top of my head here ... I wonder if there's some kind of pheromone or other subconscious sign that does indicate motherhood. This client who questioned you, what that in person?

Old 09-24-2010, 01:46 PM

408 posts, read 809,202 times
People in my family used to ask me ALL the time since I've been dating my boyfriend for 5 years...I told them I don't wish to have children at this time or possibly ever. They finally stopped asking!

Old 09-24-2010, 02:50 PM

2,058 posts, read 3,303,291 times
Yep. I get it aaall the time. Family, friends, coworkers..not service people though, that's extra wierd!

A coworker once said "you guys are gonna be such cool parents!" I was like "no we're not. We're gonna be good parents!"

How do I repsond?

"Never!" Even though that's not true, I just like to shock people who think that's the most horrible thing ever.

"Not for a long time"

"We said in 5 years right after we got married and now that its been 5, we're thinking another 5 is a good idea!"

"When we're around 30"

"Once we're mature enough... or decide to be mature enough"

Old 09-25-2010, 12:04 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Violett View Post
And I mean EVERYONE. Friends, co-workers, family, strangers, even the guy who changed my oil today asked me why I wasn't married and didn't have kids.

It's like people don't think you're "normal" or something if you're a female and don't have kids by a certain age.

Is anyone else going through this?

What do you say to people who ask you that?
Those questions are quite common for both men and women once they reach a certain age.

At least be glad it's not like in the past where a woman was a spinster if not married by age 23. Back then though guys got to be confirmed bachelors but now it's assumed they're probably gay if they aren't married before a certain age.

All you have to do is say "Because I don't want to and my reasons for that are my own".

Old 09-25-2010, 12:08 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Another good answer would be to tell them you want to own 40 or 50 cats instead of marrying and having kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships