Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 10:38 PM

2,179 posts, read 4,988,236 times

Advertisements

So last time I was here I told you guys I relocated to San Diego and was just doing the solo thing. Everything was going well until I started developing feelings towards someone at work (I know I know). Well got rejected by him today despite all the mixed signals he had given me. I decided to go out tonight to a party to meet people in the area. Ended up talking to a nice girl and exchanged numbers. Didn't meet really anyone else. Parties tend to make me freeze up because I get nervous in large groups. Anyway, on the way back home I started crying hysterically in the car thinking about my ex boyfriend who I haven't seen in maybe 8 months.

Now I am super stressed at work and still not settled at home here. My only friends are at work and my weekends are never long enough.

Should I go to therapy? I don't even know where to start with sharing all my problems
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 10:43 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Seeking help is wise. It might be helpful for you. I know it was very helpful for me during my divorce.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,209,520 times
I wouldn't hurt at all. Moving to a new place and starting a life isn't easy and often causes stress. You don't need a psychiatrist, just someone to talk about your frustrations out loud with so look for a therapist in your area, sometimes you can look up things about them on the internet as far as their areas of expertise, experience, education, philosophy, and maybe even see a photo. I went to one a couple years ago when I was going through a stressful time and I had never gone before. I was nervous and to be honest the first 2 meetings all I could do was cry...but even THAT made me feel better because of how the therapist responded to me.Then I could actually TALK about all the things I'd been bottling up. You will probably feel much better even if you only go a couple of times.

Old 09-23-2010, 10:57 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,682,012 times
Therapy can be helpful if you really need it, but I don't think you do.

Everyone needs a good cry now and then. It doesn't mean you need therapy. You've been under strain and needed a release. I'd take the money you'd spend on a therapist and fly to Paris, or buy some fabulous shoes. Make friends by getting out and learning something new. Take a Zumba class or a dance class after work and you'll have new friends before you know it.

Life is meant to be enjoyed. I don't think anyone has said from their deathbed "I wish I'd spent more time and money in therapy".

Old 09-23-2010, 11:02 PM

3,622 posts, read 5,814,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Seeking help is wise. It might be helpful for you. I know it was very helpful for me during my divorce.
+1

I went to therapy after my divorce, and then again after my most recent break-up. It helped.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:51 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
+1

I went to therapy after my divorce, and then again after my most recent break-up. It helped.
I realized a lot about myself. I also realized I wasn't totally to blame either. It should help you realize your good and bad points, and gain insight into how other people work think and feel.

Old 09-24-2010, 02:29 AM

2,223 posts, read 5,353,374 times
If you're asking yourself that question, you should go, investigate and see if it's something that will be helpful for you.

Old 09-24-2010, 03:58 AM

16,077 posts, read 28,555,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomi Manischewitz View Post
So last time I was here I told you guys I relocated to San Diego and was just doing the solo thing. Everything was going well until I started developing feelings towards someone at work (I know I know). Well got rejected by him today despite all the mixed signals he had given me. I decided to go out tonight to a party to meet people in the area. Ended up talking to a nice girl and exchanged numbers. Didn't meet really anyone else. Parties tend to make me freeze up because I get nervous in large groups. Anyway, on the way back home I started crying hysterically in the car thinking about my ex boyfriend who I haven't seen in maybe 8 months.

Now I am super stressed at work and still not settled at home here. My only friends are at work and my weekends are never long enough.

Should I go to therapy? I don't even know where to start with sharing all my problems

Decide what it is that you want to accomplish by going and how it will improve the quality of your life, thats pretty much what a therapist will ask and yes, it does work. If you're still going 10years later, somethings wrong and it may not be you.

Old 09-24-2010, 04:57 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,181,213 times
IMO, allot of people who work develop friends at work or more like acquaintances that they associate with and for those people that remains that way as they are to busy to get out and have a night life.
Sometimes the responsibility of working to live burdens everyone at one point or another.
Heck you are normal, perhaps a little emotional but hey....you'll be OK just take it a day at a time

Old 09-24-2010, 06:46 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,153,037 times
It might not hurt. But I would offer that you should go to other places, too. What are your interests outside of work? Do you have a hobby? Do you have avocations that you'd like to cultivate? Because when you do those things, you encounter people with similar interests, people with whom you'll have a natural affinity.

Hey, it's tough to move to an entirely new place and start over with a new set of friends. It's just a step by step process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships