Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:25 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,010,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
How about the rest of us? The millions of guys leading lives of quiet desperation, watching our hair fall out and our eye-pouches darken? We either can't afford the corrective procedures or we simply feel it's "cheating". We haven't been blessed with the "handsome" gene. We drink Bud out of a can after we finish the 4-12 shift at the factory. Go to the gym? Sheesh - that takes time we don't have, since we have to do our own dishes, take out our own garbage and take care of the family.

Staying fit is not difficult. Eating smart -- reasonable portions -- is the most important thing, and eliminating degenerative substances (like beer).

High intensity exercises, i.e., sprinting, never require more than 5 minutes. (How long does it take to drink a beer?) Done even once a week, you will see a remarkably beneficial impact. Done 3X week and you will enter the "Hollywood" fitness realm. (At 45 I am the same weight I was 20 years ago and in better physical tone and condition.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 06:36 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Sasquatch View Post
Beards are coming back into style, a facial tribute more typically associated with older men. Younger men are leaving the soul-patch and the goatee more and more behind, starting to groom their facial hair into more pronounced and fuller beards. It's an unconscious move to portray that air of distinction and capability that comes with aging; we're physically weaker now, perhaps (although that's belied in the constant barrage of anti-aging products) but we're wiser and more knowledgeable than our younger counterparts -- this is the unspoken sentiment across the board. ...
Really?

Old 09-26-2010, 06:55 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,134,698 times
Quote:
Beards are coming back into style, a facial tribute more typically associated with older men. Younger men are leaving the soul-patch and the goatee more and more behind, starting to groom their facial hair into more pronounced and fuller beards.
Really? Not that I'm some fan of beards, but soul patches make me truly sick! Even though I don't like goatees, either, those soul patches are something else!

Old 09-26-2010, 06:57 PM

52,197 posts, read 52,629,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Really? Not that I'm some fan of beards, but soul patches make me truly sick! Even though I don't like goatees, either, those soul patches are something else!
Soul Patches, aka, the flavor saver, naw, not a fan of those silly things.

I do rock the goatee though

Old 09-26-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Soul Patches, aka, the flavor saver, naw, not a fan of those silly things.
It's like somebody went into a hair salon, picked up some hair from the floor, and slapped it at a random place on his face!

I'll never understand some otherwise OK-looking guys' desire to make themselves look as ugly as humanly possible!

Old 09-26-2010, 07:05 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
I like keeping my face clean, not soul patches or goats or anything like that.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
A 'soul patch' is not a beard.

A proper beard covers from ear to ear and lays on your chest.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
A 'soul patch' is not a beard.

A proper beard covers from ear to ear and lays on your chest.

I know it's not - I just explained what I think it is. As far as a beard, nope, it doesn't have to lay on your chest to be considered a beard. Not everybody's into ZZ Top.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:11 PM

3,261 posts, read 5,302,953 times
Quote:
Yes, but it wouldn't be the topic of the thread, would it? The topic would be the suggested and as-yet merely alleged "growing attractiveness" of older men, whether it's so and why.
Yes and No. The article alleged that men today "have" until 55 to be considered attractive. I just think that it has always been the case that older men, that made any effort to look good, were considered attractive by younger women and that their age, and all that one may associate with it, added to their attractiveness. It's possible that more average "Joes" take better care of themselves today into their 60's, but I don't think the older attractive man is a new phenomenon.

I also think that average "Janes" take better care of themselves as they age and for them it has really changed the perception of what people expect of a 40, 50 or 60 year old woman to look like. That's why I brought it up, so while not on-topic I thought it was relevant.

I always laugh a little when women my age (40) say they look 5 - 10 years younger. Well, if practically all of us look 5-10 years younger, isn't it better to assume that we look our age, but we are aging better than the 40 year olds we knew growing up and expected to look like?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I know it's not - I just explained what I think it is. As far as a beard, nope, it doesn't have to lay on your chest to be considered a beard. Not everybody's into ZZ Top.
In my mind if it does not reach your chest it is just not 'full' yet, keep growing and one day it will get there

As you can see from my picture, mine is not 'ZZ-top' length either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships