Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:56 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,321,706 times

Advertisements

You've heard the phrase. How do you interpret it? If you've ever been down that path, what was it like, how were you blinded?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 07:03 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,318,290 times
What it means is when you are crazy in love with someone you overlook the faults that everyone else around you sees in them. Also the love you feel for that person makes them seem more attractive physically than they actually are. That's my take on it

Old 09-27-2010, 07:10 AM

3,688 posts, read 4,999,925 times
I think it can be interpreted in two ways, equally applicable but one negative, one positive.

On the negative side, "love" really means that period during which we're impassioned, bodies awash with hormones that make us eager for someone's company. The result of this is that we willingly ignore things which, given time for the inflamed nature of our desires to settle down a bit, start to matter.

Basically, "Dude, she treats you like crap!"

"I don't care; I'm getting laid and it's awesome!"

But given time:

"Dude, she treats you like crap!"

"Yeah, I know. I'm really starting to wonder whether it's worth it.

But then there's the positive aspect of the phrase Love is blind. This one has the advantage of time and is more aptly illustrated by person who is with another despite something which others would find a deal-breaker, and it's a conscious choice, perhaps even something they don't see because they see something else which others aren't privileged to see.

I've told the story before in here but in short, way back in fifth grade there was a girl in my class who was just... butt... UGLY. She was also mean as a snake; but while forced to work together for two months on a class project I discovered she was mostly just reacting to others' reaction to her physical appearance. In fact she was gentle and sweet, quite intelligent and creative. By the time the project was finished I had a huge crush on her and honestly could not figure out why I'd thought she was ugly before -- really and truly could not see it.

Old 09-27-2010, 07:12 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,623,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
You've heard the phrase. How do you interpret it?
we're hard-wired for people we "love" to affect our brain chemistry, especially in the earlier stages of a relationship. it is a bit like taking drugs.

my guess is that its a trait we've developed over time, something that promotes stronger families, which were more likely to reproduce and survive. the humans who didn't feel "love" died off or failed to reproduce at the same rate.

Old 09-27-2010, 10:33 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,531,842 times
If love is blind, it shouldn't matter if I now have a beard. But it apparently does.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:44 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,579,966 times
It means being led around by some dog that tells you where and when to move.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:08 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,272,471 times
Love Stinks!

Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM

143 posts, read 257,433 times
I'm in that situation now....Don't know how much longer I'll be in a relationship.....

I've been with same guy for a looong time. 7 years. And we have two kids. And we met when we were really young, and we were both obsessed with each other. But then he did a lot of messed up things and I kept making excuses..."He was young, he didn't know any better." or "It's because of how he was raised." And he would apologize, play nice and things would get better for awhile. But then he'd do something messed up again. And it's just this never ending cycle. Still a never ending cycle.....I'm so in love with our good times, I put up with the bad. And let me tell you....the bad outweighs the good by a lot.
Now,he doesn't do as many direct, hurtful things because he's wised up. But I'm wising up too and realizing that this will probably never get better.

Love is blind. When you're young and in love, you think that this one person is going to be the person you're with forever. You watch eachother grow up and become adults and well....the boy I fell in love with isn't the man I know now.

And theres my "Love is Blind" story hahaha

Old 09-27-2010, 02:10 PM

10,168 posts, read 20,716,770 times
Love is blind...follow your nose instead.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:46 PM

2,828 posts, read 4,321,706 times
If relationships have stages, the "love is blind" stage happens early on. It can happen very soon, when you are first in the process of connecting with each other, or sometimes a little later, during the connecting process which can take longer with others, depending on circumstances. It's basically a stage where the heart overrules the mind and logical thinking. It's a time when we see what we want to see in the other, and deny or disregard any negatives in the other. It's a time when we can rationalize things very easily to support our feelings and emotions. I'm not saying it's good or bad, just that it is what it is. The love is blind stage does not last forever though. Over time, as the reality of our partner's strengths and weaknesses become more apparent to us, and we live with them, we gain a better insight and that reality begins to sink in........ for the better or worse. JMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships