Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 09:05 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,060 times

Advertisements

I see just as many guys tied to their phones as women.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Two of the funniest dam&ed things I've ever seen:

Guy busy texting who walked into a lamp post.

Guy texting while texting on his iPhone; drops the sucker, and it splinters into tiny pieces.

Not funny: People so busy texting that they nearly get run over, or run over someone else while in their vehicle.
These distracted people make it too easy for carjackers and muggers!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Ignorance IS a bliss! I only have a dumb phone. Could've not had even that one...

Old 09-28-2010, 10:07 PM

I'm not even smart enough to know how to store a number on my cell phone, let alone know how to upload a photo onto the Internet. Don't even know how to text, don't even know how to respond to one. I see them, occasionally, appear on my phone, text messages, and don't you get charged for that, if you respond to one? Fearing the worst, I erase them when they begin to accumulate.

If I revealed all my high-tech ignorance on this thread, I end up on any number of people's Don't Bother With This Imbecile List!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:12 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,114,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
While this isn't directed exclusively at women, it seems to be more prevalent among women.

While you are constantly texting, checking Facebook, tweeting, and gossiping on the phone while you are driving and weaving in and out of traffic, life is actually going on! I recently broke up with an otherwise nice girl who was constantly tethered to her I Phone, constantly on Facebook, and we'd hang out and all I'd here is an annoying chime that would distract us and she absolutely had to see which pizza place her friend was eating at, or which baby picture was being posted.

There is a such thing as being too connected, ladies (and some dudes too). Why is this new generation of girls (generally aged 21-30) feel that everything they have to say is important and people want to read it? Are we creating a generation people who feel extremely self-important?

BTW, I just had enough and I was sitting on the couch next to her when the thing went off like 4 times in a row. So I got up, left, got in my truck and drove off. Peace out. She called me and she said "why the heck did you leave without saying goodbye?" I texted her "Goodbye"....maybe a dick move but I had mentioned several times to her that it annoyed me, and it seemed to be the only way to get through to her.
good for you. However I doubt her behaviour is endemic to a whole section of society.

FWIW, I have a iphone & blackberry.

However I'm not so rude to use them whilst in conversation with someone else.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'm not even smart enough to know how to store a number on my cell phone, let alone know how to upload a photo onto the Internet. Don't even know how to text, don't even know how to respond to one. I see them, occasionally, appear on my phone, text messages, and don't you get charged for that, if you respond to one? Fearing the worst, I erase them when they begin to accumulate.

If I revealed all my high-tech ignorance on this thread, I end up on any number of people's Don't Bother With This Imbecile List!
Wow, Tij, I feel good to see somebody worse even than me! I don't like to text, but at least I know how to do it.

I went to Best Buy today looking around exactly like an imbecile... I'm soooo behind the times as I hate figuring out gadgets. Some young kid took pity on me and gave me some good ideas! He said he was trying to upgrade his parents, too, so we're not alone!

At first I was really excited about the idea of having a keyboard and a mouse on a lap desk in bed and use the TV as a monitor, but then I figured I also have to eat, drink, and smoke... one too many tasks in bed! Besides, even I don't like my bedroom smoky. Not to mention in this case I wouldn't get my as@ out of bed! I'm also not sure how a computer screen will look on a TV from a distance... He said his brother was enjoying that quite a bit, though.

Old 09-28-2010, 10:39 PM

The problem with going to Best Buy for a slow-learning, high-tech imbecile like myself, who happens to show some curiosity about some gadget, is most of these sales people are high-tech savvy, and the minute I pick up a gadget and ask a question and they say: Here! Let me show you how this works! It's so easy!
I run like a bat out of hell!

I know what's coming! I'll only remember half the first line they speak and, after that, they may as well be speaking Chinese!

If only I could find a clerk who has a speech impairment, who talks very, very, s--l--o--w--l--y, punctuating every other word with: U-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d? Heaven it would be!

Old 09-28-2010, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
If only I could find a clerk who has a speech impairment, who talks very, very, s--l--o--w--l--y, punctuating every other word with: U-n-d-e-r-s-t-a-n-d? Heaven it would be!
I don't go totally unprepared. I've done some research and the guys at work have updated me some. That kid was sweet anyway, though.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:16 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Ladies, seriously, put down the smartphone! You're not that important!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
My point was that my phone makes me more efficient.

People were basically responding to the OP by saying they don't get the appeal of people walking down the street typing on a smartphone. I get the appeal of it because I'm one of "those" people.

Since you've told her it bothered you I understand being frustrated, seems a little dramatic to just leave though, even if you did think they were mindless updates they were obviously important to her...but to each their own!

Courtney
I don't blame him for leaving. Her boyfriend obivously wasn't as important to her as talking on the phone or checking email. I would have left too, my hat's off to him.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
Default Relationships > Ladies, seriously, put down the smartphone! You're not that important!

Originally Posted by bluesky42day
My point was that my phone makes me more efficient.

People were basically responding to the OP by saying they don't get the appeal of people walking down the street typing on a smartphone. I get the appeal of it because I'm one of "those" people.

Since you've told her it bothered you I understand being frustrated, seems a little dramatic to just leave though, even if you did think they were mindless updates they were obviously important to her...but to each their own!

Courtney

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"More efficient"? Perhaps if you are a Wall Street mover & shaker, or Lindsey Lohan's lawyer...but I fail to see how answering emails and texts within minutes, simply because you can't resist it (and that is really what it comes down to) makes you more efficient. Puleeeez. It makes you obnoxious, frankly. And unable to focus on what is in front of you, for another.
I agree with you 100%! bluesky42day thinks she is all important, that nothing else in the world is important except checking her email. She comes across much differently than she thinks she does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships