Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 11:09 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesky42day View Post
I very rarely post on this forum from a computer. I check it while in line somewhere, on the way to work (in a taxi), at the nail shop, while a commercial is on TV, etc.

Why shouldn't I check this website while I have some downtime? This forum is very entertaining, that's why I like to check the posts & probably why most of the people on here keep coming back.

As far as walking with the smartphone, I'm a very courteous person in general & don't get so engulfed in what I'm doing that I ignore others.

When I pass someone on the street I smile & say hello, it's a Southern thing, even if I am trying to read an e-mail! I've never crashed into anyone or walked into a pole, not even close...while on a smartphone at least...I did run into one of those fire extinguishers on a pole inside of Target when I was a kid but that's a whole 'nother issue!

I'm certainly not Lindsay Lohan's attorney but I am a person that likes to stay busy. People that know me always comment on how they're amazed that I have time to do all that I do. I'm certainly not tweeting to let people know I ate bacon & eggs for breakfast today & I don't even have Facebook. I do think it's rude for someone to constantly be checking their phone during a meal or a conversation, I may walk & check it, but my mama didn't raise no fool

Courtney
Downtime yes, but suppose you're out on a date. Or you and your date are either at your place or his place watching a movie. Those are not the times to be on the phone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Downtime yes, but suppose you're out on a date. Or you and your date are either at your place or his place watching a movie. Those are not the times to be on the phone.
I completely agree, especially since he had already talked to her about how it bothered him.

Courtney

Old 09-28-2010, 11:29 AM

2,013 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Ironically, you posted this on the internet for anonymous discussion when it would have been far more productive to talk to her directly about it.
I believe he already talked to her about it before. I don't think he's looking for a productive solution here or whinning about the situation, but rather sharing the experience.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:34 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
Default Nightmare on K Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I have no smart phone...don't want one.

To be honest, I see far more guys exhibiting this behavior than gals.
You've given me a flashback to my days in D.C., when I was new to the dating scene after my divorce. Ah, the self-important blowhards with their Blue Tooth devices stuck to their heads 24-7 like they're Borg. They lean back, cross an ankle over a knee, fold their hands behind their heads, give a cocktail laugh, and blather on.

"Rich! Yes! How the hell are ya? Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha. Yes. I know Jim from my Lehman days. He's a Yale man. Never could trust those, but he's all right. Tell you what: I've got a 7:00 a.m. tee time--"

(Pauses to look at server and explain he wanted the endive and not the radicchio.)

"Yes, as I was saying, I've got a 7:00 a.m. tee time with him Saturday. Why don't you come out? Right. Oh, and Smith signed on to co-sponsor. We're on our way. Great. Touch base later."

(Clicks. Looks at me.) "So, sweetheart, how's the salmon?"

Old 09-28-2010, 11:37 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,131,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You've given me a flashback to my days in D.C., when I was new to the dating scene after my divorce. Ah, the self-important blowhards with their Blue Tooth devices stuck to their heads 24-7 like they're Borg. They lean back, cross an ankle over a knee, fold their hands behind their heads, give a cocktail laugh, and blather on.

"Rich! Yes! How the hell are ya? Ah, ha, ha, ha, ha. Yes. I know Jim from my Lehman days. He's a Yale man. Never could trust those, but he's all right. Tell you what: I've got a 7:00 a.m. tee time--"

(Pauses to look at server and explain he wanted the endive and not the radicchio.)

"Yes, as I was saying, I've got a 7:00 a.m. tee time with him Saturday. Why don't you come out? Right. Oh, and Smith signed on to co-sponsor. We're on our way. Great. Touch base later."

(Clicks. Looks at me.) "So, sweetheart, how's the salmon?"

And you stayed through dinner? Did you not plead a headache and an early evening?

Old 09-28-2010, 11:42 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
I'm typing this from my iPhone right now...but in my defense I do fit your demographic...26 yo Female.

I feel like not having a smartphone is equivalent to life before a microwave, as far as convenience goes.

I like the push mail feature, where my phone will make a small ding when I receive an e-mail. I'm guessing that alert is what made you get up & leave. For me, that ding makes me more efficient. I can address something as soon as it comes into my inbox.

I very rarely post on this forum from a computer. I check it while in line somewhere, on the way to work (in a taxi), at the nail shop, while a commercial is on TV, etc.

Courtney

Dear god the horror!

Old 09-28-2010, 11:44 AM

1,036 posts, read 2,833,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paganmama80 View Post
Dear god the horror!
I know, right.

Courtney

Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,583,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
"More efficient"? Perhaps if you are a Wall Street mover & shaker, or Lindsey Lohan's lawyer...but I fail to see how answering emails and texts within minutes, simply because you can't resist it (and that is really what it comes down to) makes you more efficient. Puleeeez. It makes you obnoxious, frankly. And unable to focus on what is in front of you, for another.
Exactly CM.

Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,023 times
Quote:
I know, right.

Courtney

Well my older brother puts you to shame as he never puts the thing down and often is talking on one one and texting on another

Old 09-28-2010, 11:53 AM

2,732 posts, read 3,583,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by briannasmomma View Post
I can't believe you didn't include teenage girls. My sister is 14 and she is constantly texting or checking facebook on her itouch that when I go to my mom's house for the weekend, I barely see her!!! I can't stand it!
Yea, and people wonder why kids are so out of shape (some are obese) today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships