U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 01:17 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,550,260 times

Advertisements

*Hi! New here!!*

Men: Can you honestly be "just friends" with a woman who is attractive to you and who at one point showed interest in you?

Here is the scenario:
You are in a committed relationship, but find yourself attracted to a woman you work with, physically and mentally. You have been talking to her at work. Your employer has now asked you to avoid socializing with her because rumors are now circulating about the two of you. You still see her in the halls and still have a few moments to talk.

Do you remain just friends?
Do you try and persue friendship outside of work?
Would you tell your girlfriend about her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

662 posts, read 1,078,776 times
No man ever "wants" to be just friends with an attractive woman. We aren't wired for it.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:21 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,798,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy.Rivers View Post
Men: Can you honestly be "just friends" with a woman who is attractive to you and who at one point showed interest in you?

These are all choices. You can do whatever you want. Just because you are attracted to someone doesn't mean anything has to come of it. Of course, if you play with fire you increase your chances of getting burned.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:24 PM

4,941 posts, read 7,312,994 times
I would say no because anytime you are attracted to someone physically and mentally there is always a chance it could be taken further if the right scenario presented itself. These types of friendships are best kept as civil and professional as possible, especially in the workplace.

Tread lightly.....very lightly.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM

7,005 posts, read 18,632,672 times
I could certainly try.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:45 PM

635 posts, read 1,524,195 times
A man could be friends with an ugly woman...A man cannot be just friends with an attractive woman.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:53 PM

27,236 posts, read 41,396,462 times
Quote:
*Hi! New here!!*

Here is the scenario:
You are in a committed relationship, but find yourself attracted to a woman you work with, physically and mentally. You have been talking to her at work. Your employer has now asked you to avoid socializing with her because rumors are now circulating about the two of you. You still see her in the halls and still have a few moments to talk.

I can be cordial to her, but recognize that I am in a committed relationship already. How much I share with that person I'm committed to depends on her jealousy, and how she takes it, but I would prefer to be open and honest about it.

For the most part, I do not try to pursue friendships with other people, and she would get as much of my attention as any of my other acquaintances. Which isn't much at all.

EDIT: For the record, I live with an ex-girlfriend--and there is no thought of returning to that relationship. There are no roadblocks to her having a boyfriend or me having a girlfriend, as far as I'm concerned. We don't even talk to each other, really. We're cordial, but separate.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:57 PM

3,967 posts, read 5,920,582 times
Quote:
*Hi! New here!!*

Here is the scenario:

LOL i have never been able to keep too many male friends.....so i go with no.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:59 PM

5,322 posts, read 8,366,831 times
I can be friends with an attractive woman. I seem to have no difficulty putting her into the friend category (subcategory without benefits). I have a few such female friends now. Yes, my wife knows about them, and we often socialize together, though sometimes I'll meet them for lunch or dinner alone. Even if they try to turn it into something more, I'd still not succumb, and would give them only one chance to behave or I'd have to terminate the friendship.

If I weren't IN a relationship, then I might reconsider their category and/or subcategory - assuming they were also interested.

As for your work situation, that can be complicated. Rumors will persist and spread, even if there is no good foundation for them. People love gossip, and some enjoy ruining reputations, deserved or not. I'd move the friendship outside of work, avoid each other at work, and certainly inform my wife or g/f (it's the right thing to do, though of course you know she'll probably find out herself or someone will tell her eventually, so better to come from you if things are really on the "up and up").

Old 09-28-2010, 02:05 PM

1,159 posts, read 1,550,260 times
Thank you for the replys so far.

Now my question is, what is your motive for having this friendship. If she is attractive, is it possible (and or how likely) that your motives are without intention of persuing anything more....or can your motive be to simply have this woman as a friend without the intention of possible something else?

In your past experience, have you had friendships with attractive women where you were not trying or hoping for more? Can "platonic" really mean what it implies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or