U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 04:22 PM

5,259 posts, read 4,705,467 times
If I ask someone whether he thinks I look fat, I do so with the risk of him potentially saying yes, so it would be foolish of me to rip into him and get mad at him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 12:28 AM

3,458 posts, read 3,326,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
I guess there are ways to tell this to your girl. A guy can be blunt or answer with honesty being careful how to say it. Still, it seems some women will feel totally insulted no matter what the answer ir (true or not). If the guy lied to her saying she looked just fine when in reality she was not or if he told her the truth saying she was fat indeed.

What would you (women) prefer to hear?
I'd feel offended, but I'd also want to hear the truth. I need the inspiration because I have a reverse body dysmorphic syndrome where I always see myself as being skinny... though I *know* the mirror lies.

How insulted the girl feels depends on how you phrase it.

"You look mighty fine now, but if you lost 10 pounds you would be SMOKING HOT"

Old 10-09-2010, 05:52 AM

2,058 posts, read 1,674,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyra33 View Post
LOST FANS....

Sawyer on LOST said there are only three things you need to know to say to a woman:

Sawyer: I'm sorry.
Jin: I'm...sorry.
Sawyer: Ok, nice. Keep it coming.
Jin: Uh. You...were...right.
Sawyer: Ok. That's 2. Hit me.
Jin: Those...pants...don't make you look...fat.
Sawyer: Now you got it! Only 3 things a woman needs to hear.

He was so hot, but (his character was) one of those dudes you'd have amazing sex with once and never admit it to anyone or ever speak to again.

Old 10-09-2010, 06:07 AM

2,447 posts, read 3,277,913 times
Quote:
I guess there are ways to tell this to your girl. A guy can be blunt or answer with honesty being careful how to say it. Still, it seems some women will feel totally insulted no matter what the answer ir (true or not). If the guy lied to her saying she looked just fine when in reality she was not or if he told her the truth saying she was fat indeed.

I personally would not ask that question of anyone. I know myself if I need to lose weight.

It's a question that is unfair to ask of anyone...it is a no-winner in many cases.

Some women are fishing for a compliment; some are seriously trying to start a fight.

It's all relative.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:38 PM

4,900 posts, read 2,532,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Some women are fishing for a compliment; some are seriously trying to start a fight
If they are asking then they have to be ready to hear a sincere/honest answer.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:46 PM

697 posts, read 626,600 times
this question reminds of the gieko commercial with abe lincoln

Old 03-15-2011, 12:47 PM

3,409 posts, read 1,992,727 times
Quote:

IMO, the ones who truly are won't ask. Everyone else is just paranoid!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:00 PM

12,222 posts, read 7,362,392 times
I think it's harsh of my fellow wimmins to ask their men if they look fat. That's just asking for trouble. No matter how thin a girl is, she's not gonna be happy with the reply... the thinner you are (having been near anorexic at one time myself) the more likely you'll ask on a day when you're bloated or something, and no matter what you hear from him (even "No! You look great!") you are gonna perceive it as "I'm fat!" just because you went up a pound from water weight or some such.

The best (safest) thing to ask a man is less nebulous... like, say you're going out for dinner.

Try on a couple of dresses... show your guy and say "which one do you like best on me?"

The man can't lose there. He picks the one he likes best.... or, if he's feeling bold, he says "Well, I like X dress better than Y dress, but you know... Z dress you wore the last time we went out is my favorite on you."

Or, some such.

Men are better with a way out of possibly making you feel bad.

No decent guy WANTS to hurt his partner's feelings... not even some of the less decent guys wanna do that... probably the fear not getting any later if they tick you off.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:30 PM

1,065 posts, read 1,525,528 times
Quote:

My husband will say something like "No honey, that outfit isn't working." Any woman who asks a man if she looks fat really doesn't want to know the truth.

Old 03-15-2011, 02:35 PM

4,900 posts, read 2,532,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2justynsarah View Post
My husband will say something like "No honey, that outfit isn't working." Any woman who asks a man if she looks fat really doesn't want to know the truth.
It's like when a friend tells me "Oh my gawd, look at my pic. I look so ugly in the pic, I can't believe it" I'll tell her straight out something like "Well...hhhhmm not your best picture but, you look like you were having a good time " . Come on, no need to fish for compliments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships