U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:40 AM

12,671 posts, read 22,856,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactic_hombre View Post
For me, I hastily married in my 20s and didn't want to make the same mistake. I went back to school and worked on a career. During that time, I had to purge the idea that sex and being with someone were top priorities. If someone is looking for advice, I suggest he or she do the same. One way to get quick relief is not to buy into a lot of the messages in consumer advertising. It is okay to be single. Then, you can work on you--including determining what you value. You'll begin to see patterns emerge, and you'll notice that certain types of women are interested in you. I suggest two other resources: there is a book about IMAGO matches (Hendrix), there is another book entitled Relationship Rescue (McGraw). I am still single, but dating an amazing woman!
What mistake did you make my marrying?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 03:59 PM

8,518 posts, read 14,975,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Anyone one meets this criteria? Are you looking for a relationship? F**k Buddy, FWB, etc. What kind of life are you living?
I meet those criteria. Mid 30s, single, no kids, good job and assets. As for what I'm looking for, definitely not a FWB. I'd rather be in a serious relationship. The kind of life I'm living right now is the one I want. I'd like to be with someone, but don't NEED someone in my life to be happy. I have my friends, my career, and my health.

Old 10-11-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I meet those criteria. Mid 30s, single, no kids, good job and assets. As for what I'm looking for, definitely not a FWB. I'd rather be in a serious relationship. The kind of life I'm living right now is the one I want. I'd like to be with someone, but don't NEED someone in my life to be happy. I have my friends, my career, and my health.
What would happen if you never got married?

Old 10-11-2010, 04:57 PM

3,337 posts, read 6,793,405 times
I meet the criteria but I'm content being alone for the time being.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I would rather be single for the rest of my life than marry the wrong person or marry just for the sake of being married. We live in a culture that really pushes marriage and looks down on people who haven't married by a certain age. But I look at all the people who married too early or married the wrong person and consider myself lucky to not have ended up like that. I'd like to be married someday, but only if I'm absolutely sure about the person. If I never get married, I won't necessarily look at that as some kind of failure.

Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,847,584 times
I'm single, good job, no real debt outside of a car loan, work out several time per week, (IMHO) good looking and no emotional problems and I'm not really dating at the moment and have no shame about it nor do I consider myself a "wimp" or "manlet" or whatever. If I meet someone awesome that would be great but it's just not a priority. If I wanted to date I would (and could) date, sleep around, etc...

I did the whole hook up thing in my twenties and just don't like to live my life like that at this stage of the game. Plus with three jobs, trying to hit the gym 4 + days a week and a music project I'm working on there isn't much time to troll the bars looking for dates. Plus it's football season!

Old 10-12-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I would rather be single for the rest of my life than marry the wrong person or marry just for the sake of being married. We live in a culture that really pushes marriage and looks down on people who haven't married by a certain age. But I look at all the people who married too early or married the wrong person and consider myself lucky to not have ended up like that. I'd like to be married someday, but only if I'm absolutely sure about the person. If I never get married, I won't necessarily look at that as some kind of failure.
Marriage is pushed even more in the Asian culture. Why is the divorce rate of the percentage so high then? Its over 50%.

You can never be so sure. Its a gamble.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
I'm single, good job, no real debt outside of a car loan, work out several time per week, (IMHO) good looking and no emotional problems and I'm not really dating at the moment and have no shame about it nor do I consider myself a "wimp" or "manlet" or whatever. If I meet someone awesome that would be great but it's just not a priority. If I wanted to date I would (and could) date, sleep around, etc...

I did the whole hook up thing in my twenties and just don't like to live my life like that at this stage of the game. Plus with three jobs, trying to hit the gym 4 + days a week and a music project I'm working on there isn't much time to troll the bars looking for dates. Plus it's football season!
Car loan is a debt but thats another topic.

Who is your favorite NFL team?

Old 10-12-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Marriage is pushed even more in the Asian culture. Why is the divorce rate of the percentage so high then? Its over 50%.

You can never be so sure. Its a gamble.
You speak as if marriage is something you have no control in the success of. But that's not true. People cite the 50% figure as if they have 50/50 odds of divorcing. That's false. People have more control than they want to admit. As for why the divorce rate is as high at is, I don't have enough time to answer such a complicated question. But I think a big reason is that people just don't know how to find the right person so they end up marrying the wrong person. And it doesn't help that we live in a culture that pressures people to marry. Maybe if there weren't that pressure, people wouldn't be marrying the wrong people.

Old 10-12-2010, 04:16 PM

1,678 posts, read 3,855,588 times
Quote:
Men over 32+, Single, No kids, Good job(s)/assets
Anyone one meets this criteria? Are you looking for a relationship? F**k Buddy, FWB, etc. What kind of life are you living?
Why does that matter what others think?
Clueless about what?
What kind of work are you looking for?
What mistake did you make my marrying?
Who is your favorite NFL team?
To be honest, I am curious about why you are asking all these questions? Are you specifically looking for someone, whether it be a FWB or something more serious? Do you have answers to all the questions you have been asking? Are you trying to see if there is someone on here that fits your qualifications?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships