Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2010, 12:14 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeychestnut View Post
do you feel there is an element of exaggeration here? Because if it is a true representation, I think people are overthinking things, and are bound to be unhappy to matter what type of relationship they are in.
Even if there is, I don't care. My own life is pretty boring, and I enjoy reading other people's dramas.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:20 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
I haven't seen a lot on CD that is that off the wall or overly complex. It all seems pretty much "every day life".

Old 10-12-2010, 12:49 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
God knows why I post here. I think it's just morbid curiosity. I'm fascinated at how some people can go so far off the rails.
I can relate. Some of these threads are train wrecks the likes I hope to never encounter in my lifetime. Amazing.

Old 10-12-2010, 12:58 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,326,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
I can relate. Some of these threads are train wrecks the likes I hope to never encounter in my lifetime. Amazing.

Mmm..nom..nom...nom....trainwrecks......they're so entertaining to watch!!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:01 PM

4,379 posts, read 5,383,949 times
Depends what kinds of problems. And what circles one mixes in. I don't know people in jail, but given how high the US prison population is, then I'm surprised most Americans don't know somebody in prison. I guess it's a matter of circles and associations.

Everybody has relationship problems, of one kind or the other. Some people get abused (for all we know people we interact in daily life with were, who knows?)

I wouldn't say most problems people post in this forum are beyond the norm.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa78703 View Post
Well, it's almost as if the posters fall into several broad categories:

1) Clueless about relationships. These are the people who simply are either too stupid or too obtuse to grasp even the basics of interpersonal relationships. These are the people who will argue on a message board about the need to say "please" and "thank you," but will wonder why in their next post why they can't stay in a permanent relationship, when it really boils down to being someone worth loving in the first place.

2) Self-Centered A-Holes. You know the types. The world revolves around them and their needs. And they don't even realize it. They're always posted on here about their newest outrage and then want validation. And are surprised when they don't get it.

3) The Fanatics. These are the uncompromising ones who have a convoluted, incredibly rigorous standard that gets applied to everybody else. They lack generosity of spirit and treat every conversation as if it were a personal battle to be won. These are people who are exhausting to be around and generally no fun. 12-Steppers typically fall into this category.

4) The Burnouts. The ones who are cynical about relationships, never seriously thinking that their own dysfunction might be the problem. Trust me. If you have started a sentence that begins with, "Why do all men/women...." you're one of them.

5) The Worthless Ones. So-called because they don't respect themselves enough to stand up for themselves. I feel sorry for these people, because they have indeed been beaten down in life. At the same time, if you're self-aware enough to complain on a message board, then you're self-aware to change your life. Get on with it already. You're not getting any younger, and the situation isn't getting any better.

6) The Brain-Deads. These are the ones who get into the strangest possible fixes, and then wonder how they got into this situation in the first place. Women who fall in love with prison inmates are a good example of this.

7) The Starry-Eyed Idealists. You know the type. The ones who use the terms Mr. Right or Knight in Shining Armor in conversation without a bit of irony. They still believe in what they saw in Disney movies decades earlier and are invariably disappointed when people behave like, well, people. Eventually, they turn into The Burnouts.

8) The Fascinated Voyeurs. Hey, I admit it. I'm one. I just can't believe some of the things people say. It's better than going to the movies.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:06 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,995,635 times
I will say that the stories and posts I have shared at 100% truthful...no matter how screwed up they seem! Lying to strangers on the Internet doesn't make any sense to me. However, I generally live a day-to-day routine college life...with some unexpected surprises.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:11 PM

1,135 posts, read 2,192,007 times
Hey we need a bumper sticker..........Posters are People Too!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2010, 01:22 PM

1,156 posts, read 2,381,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
8) The Fascinated Voyeurs. Hey, I admit it. I'm one. I just can't believe some of the things people say. It's better than going to the movies.
I'm getting you here. And excellent recap, BTW. If we read these scenarios in a book or saw them in a movie, they'd seem highly unlikely. Or, if they were pulled off with a modicum of believability, the protagonist would not be a sympathetic one.

I'm both fascinated and grateful that I haven't fallen into the same pitfalls. Not that I've always been perfect ... I'm not, not by a long shot. Hey, I've been divorced twice; that's nothing to be proud of. But, I also know why this happened and what it was about me that got me into a relationship that had no chance of survival.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:35 PM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seeniorita View Post
Mmm..nom..nom...nom....trainwrecks......they're so entertaining to watch!!
Yes, and while you're watching you miss that bus-full of tourists careening out of control straight at you...

Which, when you think about it, might be the reason so many people post on these boards - they'd rather watch the train-wreck of other peoples lives than confront their own. After all, we're a world full of spectators, with only a precious few actually participating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships