Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 08:25 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
As I said there are always exceptions. I do love myself, and my self-esteem is high, but I am no Amelia Earhart. Few of us are. You are looking at exceptional people, and making demands of the ordinary.
Ah... A light goes on. How do you think a ordinary guy feels about it? Not the exceptional guy that has no insecurities or the manipulator that knows how to push all the right buttons. But just a average shmoe. Oh wait, guys that do not ask must be:
1. Not interested
2. Gay
3. Losers
4. Weird
5. Momma boys
6. Lacking confidence
7. Twits
8. Genetic defects waiting for the forces of evolution to prune from the gene pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 08:27 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Ah... A light goes on. How do you think a ordinary guy feels about it? Not the exceptional guy that has no insecurities or the manipulator that knows how to push all the right buttons. But just a average shmoe. Oh wait, guys that do not ask must be:
1. Not interested
2. Gay
3. Losers
4. Weird
5. Momma boys
6. Lacking confidence
7. Twits
8. Genetic defects waiting for the forces of evolution to prune from the gene pool.
I don't understand this post. I think you probably would like to take this conversation in a direction of no interest to me.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Since I am wrong about being risk-averse, what is the real reason why don't women routinely ask men out?
Custom. Pure and simple. People convince themselves that the way they are accustomed to is the right way. Breaking custom is bad and sometimes with good reason. Other times the march of thinking moves on and the custom is altered for a new custom that works better.

So a better question is; Is it time to change the way men and women approach each other for dating and marriage? Perhaps or perhaps not. Hard to tell if women have evolved enough yet.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:31 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqnDe...eature=related

Old 10-14-2010, 08:33 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,850,918 times
Quote:
Custom. Pure and simple. People convince themselves that the way they are accustomed to is the right way. Breaking custom is bad and sometimes with good reason. Other times the march of thinking moves on and the custom is altered for a new custom that works better.

So a better question is; Is it time to change the way men and women approach each other for dating and marriage? Perhaps or perhaps not. Hard to tell if women have evolved enough yet.
Customs are for sissies. lol j/k

Old 10-14-2010, 08:36 PM

3,052 posts, read 4,304,828 times
I think the reasons a woman may look for a man to initiate may have nothing to do with the most commonly proposed ones.

I don't typically ask guys out, not because I'm afraid of rejection or fear breaking some imaginary social rule...but because I find men who initiate more attractive than the passive sort. I have no problem giving a guy my number (and I've done it a number of times tipsy), but for the most part I just DON'T WANT the guy that didn't ask for my number, because I anticipate that he'll be the guy seeking my initiative on a lot of other things from then on out, and that just doesn't attract me. I like a man who leads. I find that sexy. That's just my preference.

I'm passive and submissive and I love being that way.

Nothing to do with "fear of rejection" or social norms.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Hard to tell if women have evolved enough yet.
Another misconception on this thread is that these things are one-sided. For every man who wishes a woman took more initiative when it comes to asking him out and generally initiating the relationship, there's a man who wouldn't even consider a woman who did that, and are seeking the more customary chase because they don't find the former option even remotely appealing.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:40 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
That wanting women to be willing to make the first move means you're not a real man? It's that exactly that notion that's outdated.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxbabeechick View Post
Another misconception on this thread is that these things are one-sided. For every man who wishes a woman took more initiative when it comes to asking him out and generally initiating the relationship, there's a man who wouldn't even consider a woman who did that, and are seeking the more customary chase because they don't find the former option even remotely appealing.
So exactly what is your point? From your other post I am guessing that the guy that does not ask falls on to the list I posted previously.

It is always easy to deceive ourselves. For we always know the things we want to hear. Our decissions are rational because we made them. (We tend to ignore the jeers and catcalls from the gallery.)

Old 10-14-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
So exactly what is your point?
That your comment about women "evolving" ignores the complexity and mutualism of seemingly "imbalanced" interactions.

If people are perceiving common social behavior as imbalanced and disharmonic, they aren't looking closely enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships