Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2010, 12:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

What is the minimum criteria for a social event to be called "A Date"?

How many times do you have to have "a date" be be "dating" someone?

"Dating" has become a catchall buzzword here, and it is presumed that everybody knows what you are talking about when you say "dating". But I don't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2010, 12:41 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
I would like to know the answer to this question too. One of the reasons I don't date is because of the unclear definition of what it means to date. I don't want to date someone only to never get credit for dating them.

The meaning of date is so unclear. Avoiding dating is easier than trying to decipher what it means to date.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:45 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Date - a specific day and time.

Date-plans together, typically two of you, on a specific set day and time

Date- a means of getting to know someone one on a specific set day and time for the sole purpose of decifering chemistry relative to romantic interest.

Dating - you've seen each other every weekend for a month and someone suggested something regarding excusivity or it developed naturally over a period of time.

Dating - You waited for a significant period of time before having sex and once you do there's no going back.

Dating - Going out together on the weekend is no longer something you ask it's already implied and expected.

Dating - Calling or texting has increased from maybe once a week to everyday

Last edited by Thursday007; 10-15-2010 at 12:55 PM..

Old 10-15-2010, 12:51 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,278,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What is the minimum criteria for a social event to be called "A Date"?

How many times do you have to have "a date" be be "dating" someone?

"Dating" has become a catchall buzzword here, and it is presumed that everybody knows what you are talking about when you say "dating". But I don't know.
Let's say a guy and a girl go out for entertainment. Would the performance change at all if the activity between that guy/girl was labeled "date" or something else? I find it a bit, I dunno, to have people even question that.

Like I mentioned before, I wanted to see a movie and I was talking to a friend of mine. Mentioned how I wanted to see a movie that night and just went ahead "...so yeah, I am going to watch it tonight, oh, did you see it already? No? Let's go! Looks like a good movie" and she asked "Wait wait, is this, like, a date or what?" Come on, would the movie change if it was a date, a family activity, or something?

If a girl tells me she wants to go to X place and asks/invites me to join. What do I think about it? Well, I see it as just an activity she wants to do with me. If it leads to a relationships, fine, if it doesn't, fine. As long as we enjoy the activity. That's how I see going out with someone.

Old 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Romance plus entertainment. And preferably food. As Miss Manners points out, as romance progresses, it (romance, not food) usually becomes the entertainment.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:05 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Like I mentioned before, I wanted to see a movie and I was talking to a friend of mine. Mentioned how I wanted to see a movie that night and just went ahead "...so yeah, I am going to watch it tonight, oh, did you see it already? No? Let's go! Looks like a good movie" and she asked "Wait wait, is this, like, a date or what?" Come on, would the movie change if it was a date, a family activity, or something?
I guess if it's considered a "date" as opposed to an "activity," she'd expect you to behave as a "gentleman" (potential "romantic prospect") as opposed to a "buddy" and get the damn ticket you so resent paying for!

Old 10-15-2010, 01:40 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
One thought I had was this: If you were married, and your spouse would not object, its not a date.

Here's another criterion. If she dresses the way she would if she were going with her mother, it's not a date.

Old 10-15-2010, 01:56 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,691,376 times
It's not a date unless you hook up.

hooray for vague terms!

Old 10-15-2010, 02:06 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,471,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
Dating - you've seen each other every weekend for a month and someone suggested something regarding excusivity or it developed naturally over a period of time.
This is one of the biggest problems I have with modern dating. Why should you have to wait a certain amount of time before you stop seeing other people? If you start seeing someone, you should see them and only them. If your relationship goes nowhere, then you can start seeing other people. But you shouldn't see other people until after it's been determined that the relationship is going nowhere. You should only see one person at a time. I would find it insulting if someone was dating me but saw other people while she decided whether or not I was good enough.

As far as I'm concerned, the relationship starts immediately. Seeing multiple people is cheating in my mind.

Old 10-15-2010, 03:28 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
This is one of the biggest problems I have with modern dating. Why should you have to wait a certain amount of time before you stop seeing other people? If you start seeing someone, you should see them and only them. If your relationship goes nowhere, then you can start seeing other people. But you shouldn't see other people until after it's been determined that the relationship is going nowhere. You should only see one person at a time. I would find it insulting if someone was dating me but saw other people while she decided whether or not I was good enough.

As far as I'm concerned, the relationship starts immediately. Seeing multiple people is cheating in my mind.
Of course there is some kind of time line - I just pulled 'a month' out of my hiney for the purpose of exemplifying my point. So, at what point does a date become dating then become a relationship based on the criteria you have laid out here? The first phone call, the first date, the second date? How does the other person know this is your intention, or you both are on the same page,unless you discuss it - which I also suggested. Going on one date or even two doesn't constitute a relationship to most people I know or based on posts in here - so, what is the time frame and way it should be addressed and handled according to your ideals?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships