Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 03:44 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,368,799 times

Advertisements

thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2010, 01:40 PM

1,589 posts, read 2,675,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I'm not divorced yet but I haven't worn my wedding ring for several years. In the past it wasn't unusual for a man to offer his (dead) mothers ring to a woman he was proposing to,as an heirloom, etc. Going off that charming tradition I've specified that my ring will go to my son once I pass. While I don't expect him to use it to propose, and with life expectancies being what they are I hope he is married long before my death, he can still pass it along to a daughter or granddaughter and keep it in the family. I helps that we got it at an antique store and it's already been around for a long time.
I'm not familiar with that tradition but it's sweet. I hadn't given any thought to what will happen to my ring after I'm gone but I think I will adopt your tradition. Thanks.

Old 10-19-2010, 02:39 PM

35,998 posts, read 30,534,728 times
I have never heard of a man wanting wedding rings back. It sounds so highschool.
I didnt have to worry about that. I threw my ring so many times by the time we actually divorces it was long lost.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,116 times
wife wants divorce after 2 years of marriage. Is it ok for me to ask for the engagement ring back. I need the money to go towards a apartment

Old 04-06-2011, 11:36 AM

153 posts, read 237,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Technically, an engagement ring is a gift given in consideration of marriage, so it should be returned. The wedding band? I don't know. But how much does a wedding ring cost, really? Is that all he wants back? Just give those things back to him. Whether or not it's "tacky" to use the stones and the metal for the new rings for his new wife -- that's for her to worry about, not you. His tacky behavior is no longer your problem, remember? Unless this is a substantial piece of property that you need to stay afloat, I say let it go.

My ex asked for it back NO WAY....... anyhow here is something I found about the law

The law in most states (not all, but most) is that the wife gets to keep the engagement ring and wedding ring after divorce. In some cases the rings (particularly the engagement ring) can be quite valuable. Occasionally, particularly for young couples, the ring will be the largest asset of the marriage, because it's rarely encumbered by debt. So it's not at all unusual for the wife to end up after divorce with a valuable engagement ring and/or wedding ring and be uncertain about what to do with it.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:29 PM

2,650 posts, read 3,005,850 times
I would not want it, it belongs to and is a part of a past that has ended. I gave my wife her ring with honorable intent and she received it so, that we are divorced does not change that or what it meant. I say let her wear it in good health and with many good memories of those years. I cannot imagine from where I am now being married again but were I to be so foolish or even more unlikely find someone foolish enough to want to, I would want her to have a ring that was hers alone.

Old 04-06-2011, 12:37 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,983,212 times
Depends. Are the rings family heirlooms? Then sure. If however, he just ran down to Zales and bought them before bending a knee, then I can't imagine.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:25 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,045,885 times
Yes, an engagement ring is a gift given in contemplation of marriage. The marriage took place, the consideration is paid. The ring is a gift, she keeps it. Wedding band same thing. It is a gift given to the spouse and belongs to the spouse forever. My ex-husband has the ring I gave him. I would not have asked for it back.

The idjit asked for the engagement and wedding rings back after 28 years of marriage. I laughed in his face.

My rings sit in a box in the closet. Some day I will sell them - the time is not right now. I wouldn't want the gold or the stones even in a new setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Technically, an engagement ring is a gift given in consideration of marriage, so it should be returned. The wedding band? I don't know. But how much does a wedding ring cost, really? Is that all he wants back? Just give those things back to him. Whether or not it's "tacky" to use the stones and the metal for the new rings for his new wife -- that's for her to worry about, not you. His tacky behavior is no longer your problem, remember? Unless this is a substantial piece of property that you need to stay afloat, I say let it go.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM

6,536 posts, read 7,257,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeapple View Post
Does the man return his wedding ring to the woman also? I realize the wedding bands often don't have diamonds as the engagement ring does, but it seems pretty even as far as "you keep your rings and I'll keep mine".
Generally, wedding rings/bands don't even cost half of what a woman's engagement ring cost. If women spent more than 3 months of their salary on a man's ring or gift, believe me, women would be asking for it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2416 View Post
wife wants divorce after 2 years of marriage. Is it ok for me to ask for the engagement ring back. I need the money to go towards a apartment
You'll be lucky if the ring is the only thing she gets to keep from the divorce.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:41 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,382,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito2416 View Post
Sorry, the rings are hers.

It would be one thing if you gave them to her during your engagement but then never married. But you guys were married 2 years, they belong to her. Though I suppose it never hurts to just ask her and see what she says, lol. Good luck with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships