Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2010, 09:14 AM

1,646 posts, read 2,367,854 times

Advertisements

ask for the wedding and engagement rings back?

My exhusband set aside the divorce , and in the new settlement asked for the rings back.

I think is very tacky.

Apparently he is getting married again and is going to use the stones and the gold to make a new ring for the new wife

Last edited by CarolVa1977; 10-16-2010 at 09:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2010, 09:28 AM

3,486 posts, read 5,667,775 times
Technically, an engagement ring is a gift given in consideration of marriage, so it should be returned. The wedding band? I don't know. But how much does a wedding ring cost, really? Is that all he wants back? Just give those things back to him. Whether or not it's "tacky" to use the stones and the metal for the new rings for his new wife -- that's for her to worry about, not you. His tacky behavior is no longer your problem, remember? Unless this is a substantial piece of property that you need to stay afloat, I say let it go.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM

I already gave them to the lawyer. He reopened the divorce case for this.

And about the comment he told that to the lawyer. I have not seen him in 2 years

Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,278,966 times
I would tell him to bit me... The new woman could have his stones but not mine. U r not under any legal obligation to give him your rings. However, if you are going to gain something significant and the rings don't matter then use the thing he wants to get what u want. It is insensitive of him to ask for the rings and it sounds like he's bitter and striking out to hurt you where he believes he can. I am sorry u r going through this, but it does get better a little each day. Stay strong and keep your head up

Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM

sun as I said, I haven't seen him in 2 years.

There is a clause in the settlement of non-contact. He can not contact me whatsoever...

He told his lawyer and she told my lawyer he will refile for divorce because he is getting married soon and needs the rings

They don't mean anything to me. I just wanted to know if it is normal to ask the rings back.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:34 AM

16,224 posts, read 25,580,674 times
About two weeks ago, my ex had the nerve to ask me, if I still had my wedding ring from our marriage. I told him, yes, that I made another ring out of the diamonds. He said he was thinking about it, and thought, if it was just sitting in my jewely box collecting dust, we could both make some money off of it..he needed to pay his rent.
Even if it was laying around my jewelry box, its mine.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:37 AM

I never thought about it, till he ask for it. I was the one who filed for divorce in the first place. I guess he is very hurt. Otherwise I don't understand it.

He has them now.

Old 10-16-2010, 09:38 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,278,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redisca View Post
Technically, an engagement ring is a gift given in consideration of marriage, so it should be returned. The wedding band? I don't know. But how much does a wedding ring cost, really? Is that all he wants back? Just give those things back to him. Whether or not it's "tacky" to use the stones and the metal for the new rings for his new wife -- that's for her to worry about, not you. His tacky behavior is no longer your problem, remember? Unless this is a substantial piece of property that you need to stay afloat, I say let it go.
Technically the engagement ring is only to be returned if there was no marriage. After the marriage the wife is under no legal obligation to return the ring unless she wants to. However u r right when it comes to an engaged couple who breaks up

Old 10-16-2010, 09:59 AM

64 posts, read 154,565 times
If I were the new wife, I'd be a little offended that he wanted to recycle stones from his previous marriage..... VERY tack.y

Old 10-16-2010, 10:05 AM

I don't know if the new wife comment is true. There is a permanent court order of non-contact. But he finds ways to get around it like with the lawyers.

And I do feel like is tacky
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships