Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 04:09 PM

7,915 posts, read 18,606,275 times

Advertisements

People don't stop getting married because the economy happens to be going through a difficult period. The institution of marriage has become less popular due to changes in society and the acceptance of people who just live together which I see as a good thing. Since about half of marriages in America end in divorce I don't feel particularly alarmed that fewer people are choosing to get married in the first place. There are a number of things worth considering. A half century ago getting divorced had a certain stigma and many unhappy couples just stayed together even though their lives were miserable. I had relatives who fell into this category. I feel that it makes much more sense to break those ties when the marriage has obviously failed. But I must admit that I feel envious of couples who have spent their lives together and have adapted to life's changes but still love each other. Unfortunately those couples are a minority of the population. What it all boils down to for me is that I don't see any point in perpetuating a life of misery between two individuals who should never have gotten together in the first place but I think it's wonderful when a couple is truly in love and it lasts for a lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2010, 06:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,856,423 times
What Montana Guy already said! I heard that report on tv too. I think it has nothing at all to do with the economy. Its a worldwide trend not to get married now as almost all women are now going to college and working. The only reason many of the women in previous generations married was for financial reasons or because they felt they had to to please their parents or society. Too many people get married for the wrong reasons. Why get married if you will only end up divorced anyway!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:13 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,556,054 times
It has a TON to do with the economy.

The birth rate has fallen due to the economy, and even the divorce rate has dropped. People are putting off life-changing decisions until they feel more financially secure.

U.S. Birth Rate Sets Record, Hits Lowest Level In A Century
Amid Downturn, Divorce and Infidelity Decrease - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Old 10-17-2010, 06:25 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,856,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
It has a TON to do with the economy.

The birth rate has fallen due to the economy, and even the divorce rate has dropped. People are putting off life-changing decisions until they feel more financially secure.

U.S. Birth Rate Sets Record, Hits Lowest Level In A Century
Amid Downturn, Divorce and Infidelity Decrease - Real Time Economics - WSJ

Just because there is a news report on the subject doesn't mean it is true. The birth rate has dropped because a lot of us women have chosen to not have children for various reasons. I know many, many women of all ages who made this choice not to have children and they also made the choice not to get married and it has nothing to do with the economy since those choices were made decades ago.

Think about it ...its actually financially better to get married or at least to live with another person and share expenses. People aren't getting married and for that matter many are living alone because they WANT TO.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,085,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Think about it ...its actually financially better to get married or at least to live with another person and share expenses.
Absolutely! Just like divorces are down, I would think marriages should be up during tough time. I suppose there are more live-in arrangements, which are not counted. And since when do statistics mean anything anyway...

Old 10-17-2010, 06:31 PM
Ep-

2,080 posts, read 4,166,305 times
i got a friend that was married and had two kids. had to work 2 jobs to support the kids. wife didnt work. she left him because she didn't see him that much. he was working to pay for her ass. now he has to work even more to pay her child support while she still doesnt work.

got a friend who got married, girl blew his bank account. he divorced her but she had burned all his money by then.

got a friend paying child support to girl for 2 kids. after she divorced him she got knocked up by another guy to collect more cash. chick doesn't work at all, just collects money.

stories like these make me not want to get married. too easy for women to screw over men. it crazzzzy out there yo

Old 10-17-2010, 06:36 PM

362 posts, read 391,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
If you were thinking of tying the knot, jumping the broom, getting hitched, make her/him honest, or clubbing someone over the head, thanks to the sluggish economy of the past two years, you may well be one of the few making such plans.

Read more: Report: U.S. Marriages are Down…Way Down - TIME NewsFeed

Yea the economy .. right. More liberal media spin. Marriage is a BAD deal for men. It will continue to drop no matter what kind of economy we have.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:38 PM

362 posts, read 391,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtneer View Post
Just because there is a news report on the subject doesn't mean it is true. The birth rate has dropped because a lot of us women have chosen to not have children for various reasons. I know many, many women of all ages who made this choice not to have children and they also made the choice not to get married and it has nothing to do with the economy since those choices were made decades ago.

Think about it ...its actually financially better to get married or at least to live with another person and share expenses. People aren't getting married and for that matter many are living alone because they WANT TO.
Sadly the number of people who live alone, that is ALONE (with no one else in the home) is the fastest rising segment of the population.

Old 10-17-2010, 06:40 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,085,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Sadly the number of people who live alone, that is ALONE (with no one else in the home) is the fastest rising segment of the population.
That's great for the economy! We should be doing better!

Old 10-17-2010, 06:51 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,791,426 times
Actually a bad economy should technically increase the number of marriages...financially it's easier to to live with someone than alone assuming both the man and the woman are working.

I think it's smart to wait to get married which is what I believe more people are doing but I also think marriage is a great thing. A lot of people are still finding themselves in their 20's. I am a lot different now in my 30's than I was in my 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships