U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 08:41 PM

67 posts, read 85,568 times
Default Help with a guy.

I have a coworker, he works in another department, who I'm interested in. Problem is, he's painfully shy. Shy to the point, he literally talks to no one he doesn't have to. I like what I've seen of his personality, he's nice and has a great laugh, when ever someone can get him to, that is. What is the best way to get him to notice me? Everyone in the store says "Hi", so he will just assume I'm one of the herd. Anything above that, I fear, will scare him away. (He's super smart when it comes to his department, Drug Store, he can literally tell you where everything is and how it works. I've asked other people about him and almost no one knows who he is and those that do say he's shy and very into his work. He also never seems to go into the breakroom.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 09:32 PM

6,518 posts, read 8,111,795 times
Sounds like time for you to do some studying, then good ol' female conniving.

Example that once worked with me:
A workplace subordinate of mine invited me to her home for dinner several times, but I turned her down each time. I was the boss and married (on paper at least), and she had a boyfriend.

When that didn't work for her she got with a co-worker and they both asked me if I'd give them a lift to a nearby city to do some shopping, since they knew I was going anyway. I agreed. Then when I went to pick them up for the trip after work one night, gal two said "something came up and I can't go." What was I to do? Naturally I agreed to take the gal who had been inviting me to dinner. After my errand was done and I picked her up from shopping, we had dinner and a great time, becoming the closest of friends. From there anything is possible.

Use your noggin. Women (and men) do it everyday to win over people who seem resistant. Assess the situation, make the plan and follow through.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:17 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,440,389 times
For starters, go over and knock down one of his displays when he's close by.

Seriously, be someone who says more than just "hi" all the time. Go over and ask something about his department. Ask him how his day is going. At some point later, ask him to help you with something, maybe heavy lifting. After he's helped, tell him thanks and that you owe him a coffee for the help. If he doesn't accept, bring a dessert you both can share. Hopefully, he'll get the hint that you're interested in him and will act on it.

Old 10-22-2010, 03:57 PM

1,089 posts, read 1,307,527 times
Tell him you think he's cute and you'd like to get know him better. That would so totally work on me

Old 10-22-2010, 05:03 PM

199 posts, read 248,215 times
As a shy guy myself I could guarantee you that he will not make the first move. You should just be as DIRECT as possible with him go up to him and tell him u like him because he wont get the message even if you think its obvious. I have had 2 ocassions where thinking back at it the girls liked me but I was so shy and so unused to socializing that I did not pick up the signals. Just be as direct as possible and also take into consideration that he WILL be nervous to respond and might not know how to react because of the shyness. Good luck!

Old 10-22-2010, 05:32 PM

4,384 posts, read 1,695,607 times
I would suggest that you approach him.

It could be that he is shy. However, he could just see work as a job, and not as a place to mix.

Just go up to him and say "Hi", and ask him about himself. Offer to have lunch now and then.

Old 10-22-2010, 07:16 PM

15,318 posts, read 13,637,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samston View Post
I would suggest that you approach him.

It could be that he is shy. However, he could just see work as a job, and not as a place to mix.

Just go up to him and say "Hi", and ask him about himself. Offer to have lunch now and then.

Yeah....just something kinda laid back like this suggestion..

Old 10-22-2010, 07:19 PM

6,873 posts, read 5,741,184 times
Drag him into the storage room and have your way with him.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Status: "Rachel Ray make me a baloney sandwich please" (set 11 days ago)

5,831 posts, read 4,666,799 times
on the other hand you know they always say about serial killers, "he was shy and kept to himself"

Old 10-22-2010, 09:34 PM

2,117 posts, read 2,783,867 times
Are you a friendly person in general? The type that has lots of conversations with people? If so, then simply talk to him one day the way you would anyone else. Find out what he's interested in. He's not going to automatically think "SHE LIIIIIIKES ME!!!!!!!!!" if you're calm and friendly. None of that awkward, shifty stuff. Just be open, confident, and warm. You can even ask him what his three favorite movies are - people always respond to that question. Chances are he'll mention at least one movie you've seen and then you can say something about the movie - voila, a conversation. If he's painfully shy, then you're goal is to make him feel comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships