Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 02:33 PM

1,314 posts, read 3,442,957 times

Advertisements

i became a widower at the age of 36 and now of 51 my kids are gone out of the house and they have grand kids along with i can cook for myself and do my own laundry and make my own bed and clean my own place without the help of a women in my life plus i can i come and go as i please when i want to.do not have to answer to anyone but myself in a lot of areas.

but at this time in my life i have no real reason to have another person in my life to have to be responible for at this time.. i enjoy a female company and i enjoy what i get from her in the way of the bedroom and nights spent togerther ..but in the long run i gotten used to beening a single person with only myself to take care of in the long run ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 02:48 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,031,639 times
Perhaps another reason is social security. Financially, it can be better to live together.

Old 10-28-2010, 04:02 PM

4,837 posts, read 8,855,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I don't know the stats, but I've read that older men are more likely to remarry than women of the same age.
Because there are a lot more women in that age group.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:18 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by betamanlet View Post
I'm guessing since they lost half of their stuff, at least one time, they probably don't want to lose half of what's left of their stuff.
Well yes, it is a consideration for someone with retirement just around the corner ; what man or woman wouldnt be concerned with getting married again at a 65% second time divorce rate and loosing half of everything theyve worked for up until that time ? Thats what happened to me the first time around except i was 38 years old then and still had plenty of time to financially recover and plan for retirement . Given the high chance of divorce or at least having a miserable marriage yet staying in it ... I cant blame Men (especially) for not wanting to remarry and just have female friendships/go fishing with his buddies/and throwing on an extra gold chain when he takes the Corvette out for a sunday afternoon spin. Remaining SIngle to a man., is a much simplier and less problematic venture .

Generally , how is it for Single Women in their 50's then ?

Old 10-29-2010, 08:25 AM

[quote=henry1;16437537.....................

but at this time in my life i have no real reason to have another person in my life to have to be responible for at this time.. i enjoy a female company and i enjoy what i get from her in the way of the bedroom and nights spent togerther ..but in the long run i gotten used to beening a single person with only myself to take care of in the long run ..[/quote]

If sexual mores werent so liberal/immoral in our present day Culture , would it cause you to rethink remarriage ? (Why buy the Cow when youre getting the milk for free kind of thing) .

Old 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,621,557 times
Wow, the stereotypes are flying thick and fast...

Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
Wow, the stereotypes are flying thick and fast...
Putting aside the stereotypes as you call it, isnt there truth behind it or should we pretend there isnt to make it more palatable ?

Old 10-29-2010, 09:13 AM

And to the courageous soul who left "You suck" as a rep for my last post here - I envision you growing old and lonely, riddled with some social disease and eventually dying alone in a room filled with the stench of cat pee.

Have a good life, loser.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Putting aside the stereotypes as you call it, isnt there truth behind it or should we pretend there isnt to make it more palatable ?
The stereotypes I was referring to were earlier in the thread - I don't disagree with any of your premises.

Old 10-29-2010, 11:20 AM

1,342 posts, read 2,162,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
Im having trouble finding accurate info on the remarried rate above age 55 for men and women, so, if someone knows of a site with that specific info on it, that would be great .

Also, for the Men (particularly) out there who are 55 and older, what do you think are the reasons why divorced Men would not want to entertain remarriage at this time in their life ? Im most curious. Thanks.
Here you go.

Post-marital spinsterhood. | Dalrock

Post-marital spinsterhood part two: the data. | Dalrock

He does a good job of laying to rest some of the myths and half-truths on the subject. For example:

Quote:
I’ve seen the data for divorced women over 45 stated in a very misleading way. Specifically here:

Quote:
For divorced women, the probability of remarriage after age 45 is less than 5 percent.
What they should have said is only 3% of divorced women age 45 to 65 marry in any given year. After 65 a divorced woman’s chance of remarriage drops to a vanishingly small 4 in 1,000 or .4% per year! And keep in mind that this data is 20 years old so given the trends we have seen even these amazingly low rates likely greatly overstate the remarriage prospects faced by older women divorcing today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships