Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 12:06 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Here you go.

Post-marital spinsterhood. | Dalrock

Post-marital spinsterhood part two: the data. | Dalrock

He does a good job of laying to rest some of the myths and half-truths on the subject. For example:
Well, this is good news.

Quote:
The actual findings of the study were that men fared better than women in a number of ways following late life divorce.
Quote:
So we know what the AARP study didn’t say. Did it say anything interesting? As it turns out, yes it does! Late life divorce tends to work out (relatively) better for men and worse for women ...
This is a nice change from the typical stories about how divorced men are stripped of everything they own and thrown into the street. What you are posting now goes along with what many people have said, which is that divorce for women isn't a fat payday and a life of easy living.

Glad to see you've come around a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:18 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
And to the courageous soul who left "You suck" as a rep for my last post here - I envision you growing old and lonely, riddled with some social disease and eventually dying alone in a room filled with the stench of cat pee.

Have a good life, loser.
You would think people would be man enough and at least sign their name. If you bad mouth someone they should be prepared to take full credit.

Old 10-29-2010, 12:25 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
You would think people would be man enough and at least sign their name. If you bad mouth someone they should be prepared to take full credit.
I always do! I can't even stand to see the credit go to somebody else!

Old 10-29-2010, 12:29 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post

I would make an exception to all the above for Valerie Bertinelli.
Well I would too. I wonder if Belinda Carlisle is a cougar...

Old 10-29-2010, 12:40 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutz76 View Post
Here you go.

Post-marital spinsterhood. | Dalrock

Post-marital spinsterhood part two: the data. | Dalrock

He does a good job of laying to rest some of the myths and half-truths on the subject. For example:
Thanks. Its what i was looking for even though its 1990 stats. From what i read, from age 45-65 , the remarriage rate for men is 6.7 % and 4% for women . I had actually thought both would have been closer to 10% . Im sure today its even less than the 6.7 and 4 % --- what a drastic shift since more marriage-stable times of the 1950's eh ?

Old 10-29-2010, 12:45 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Not for nothing, and I'm not trying to blunt the facts/stats here, but I wonder what percentage of that women over 45 who don't remarry, don't want to remarry?

I'm sure a great deal of women do want to remarry (after all, marriage is the "normal" thing in many cultures) but what if that number isn't as many as we like to think?

Everyone thinks of an "older woman" as alone in a room full of cats, rocking silently in her dimly-lit room and dying slowly of loneliness. Yet the majority of older women I know who aren't marred, well...you just can't hold these women down. They're out and about doing EVERYTHING and so many of them just don't want to marry. Then again, these tend to be women with families (children, grandchildren) and/or lots of friends, so maybe they don't think of themselves as "alone" at all (because, frankly, they're not). But still...I wonder.

Older women may be WAY more reluctant to remarry simply because the degree of caretaking they had to do for a spouse (plus children, etc.) is obviously only going to be compounded by an aging, perhaps ill "new" husband, and they (the "older women") might just not be up for that. It's tiring enough when you're 20! And some of these women may actually be (gasp!) enjoying their freedom.

Did anyone think of that? I mean it's not totally beyond the realm of possibility.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:04 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,772,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Not for nothing, and I'm not trying to blunt the facts/stats here, but I wonder what percentage of that women over 45 who don't remarry, don't want to remarry?

I'm sure a great deal of women do want to remarry (after all, marriage is the "normal" thing in many cultures) but what if that number isn't as many as we like to think?

Everyone thinks of an "older woman" as alone in a room full of cats, rocking silently in her dimly-lit room and dying slowly of loneliness. Yet the majority of older women I know who aren't marred, well...you just can't hold these women down. They're out and about doing EVERYTHING and so many of them just don't want to marry. Then again, these tend to be women with families (children, grandchildren) and/or lots of friends, so maybe they don't think of themselves as "alone" at all (because, frankly, they're not). But still...I wonder.

Older women may be WAY more reluctant to remarry simply because the degree of caretaking they had to do for a spouse (plus children, etc.) is obviously only going to be compounded by an aging, perhaps ill "new" husband, and they (the "older women") might just not be up for that. It's tiring enough when you're 20! And some of these women may actually be (gasp!) enjoying their freedom.

Did anyone think of that? I mean it's not totally beyond the realm of possibility.
Yes, I have thought of that and have had a few women in their 60-70's tell me exactly that. Cant blame em. Im convinced though that women younger than say 60 , almost always want to get remarried based on the many Ive been associated with and am currently ; they still hold out hope for the utopia marriage that they didnt get the first or second time around ... and i dont think a 65% remarriage divorce rate would deter them . They are practicing alot of caution though . Their biggest complaint is : 1. Where are all the guys around their age 2. Where do you go to find them . Very few women are willing to do the online dating thing, fewer are willing to try Bars , etc... As for men in the 50-60's, I find they are laying low on the remarriage thing and enjoying their Toys, hobbies, male and female friends, and a good amount of free time.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:07 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Well, this is good news.

This is a nice change from the typical stories about how divorced men are stripped of everything they own and thrown into the street. What you are posting now goes along with what many people have said, which is that divorce for women isn't a fat payday and a life of easy living.

Glad to see you've come around a bit.
Tried to rep ya Julia.
Cant wait to here how this is explained. One would think these women would have it made living high on the hog with the house, car, half his retirement and other stuff and a heafty alimony check.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:14 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Tried to rep ya Julia.
Cant wait to here how this is explained. One would think these women would have it made living high on the hog with the house, car, half his retirement and other stuff and a heafty alimony check.
Nearly every study ever done on the subject shows that a man's "quality of life" (which is largely defined financially/economically) rises following a divorce while the woman's declines (anyone is free to Google like mad; the info is there). So I generally just tend to giggle behind my hand when I see all the comments about women taking "everything" in a divorce or sending their husbands into the poorhouse.

Now, less studied but also pretty consistent is that despite this, women tend to fare better emotionally/adjust faster following a divorce than men do. Women far more often have a sense of freedom following a divorce, at least after an adjustment period, v. loss.

But the myth of the woman bleeding the poor dude dry while she lives on bon-bons and trips to the Far East? Silliness.

Old 10-29-2010, 02:01 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've seen that with my parents' friends. They're in their 70s now, and it seems like when the men became widowers or divorced, they invariably remarried within a year. The women stay unmarried. I know, anecdote doesn't equal data, but it's something.

I know a lot of elderly people who won't remarry because they will loose retirement benefits.

The way I look at it, if a retired man is getting $1200 and a retired woman is getting $1200 a month why should that be cut in half if they get married?

After all either they are the former spouse paid into the system and it is there money. I would think it would be better to let them collect from both and live a better life.

I see to many older people barely getting by and to punish them because they get married is just wrong.

We as a country should demand that our elderly are better taken care of.

On a side note. If you have elderly family members, please visit them often. I can't tell you how much it breaks my heart when I visit my grandmother in her home and I also visit her friends and all of them tell me that no one goes to see them.

I can understand if they don't have family, but most do and they live close by yet never take the time to visit them.

I find some of the memories they tell me just awesome, and the things we can all learn from them will be lost when they are gone.

busta
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships