Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 09:38 PM

328 posts, read 573,329 times

Advertisements

Ok, so please lend your insight into the following hypothetical situation:

Student is working on a paper for a teacher. There are four students total in the class. At department picnic, Teacher only asks for Student when there are two students that are missing at the time. Teacher meets weekly with two out of four students to discuss progress on their paper. In class, teacher reviews all other student papers and runs out of time to discuss Student's paper. Teacher states they can review Student's paper the next day in the weekly meeting. In the meeting, Teacher notices that Student isn't as chipper as the student usually is. Student explains that they got a low score on a test in another class. Teacher tries to console Student by ensuring that in the end they are sure the student will do just fine. Discussion moves towards paper. Teacher invites Student to sit closer to Teacher's desk so that student can write down ideas comfortably. There is mild noise in the hallway so Teacher states that they will close the door and continue discussing paper. Teacher states they really like the way Student writes. Teacher talks about a quality that the Student has that Teacher really likes - hard worker that is eager to complete project. Teacher states that this is wonderful but can hinder the progress of the paper's development. Remainder of discussion is focused on development of paper.

Anything strike you as odd in this scenario? Did you form any idea of the gender of Teacher or Student? Would it change your view of the scenario if Teacher and Student were from different ethnicities? from different age groups? Author is not biased towards one view or another, just fishing for an outside objective view of a hypothetical situation.

Last edited by BlueLuce; 10-28-2010 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: Title misspelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 12:56 AM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
I have no idea, but I pictured the teacher as female and the student as male. That said: The whole thing was so...unremarkable. What is this leading to? How could any of this have been a problem? Does it turn out that the student had a crush on the teacher and ends up falsely accusing the teacher of something? (Just because of the way some of your post was worded.)

As far as ethnicity, that wouldn't have even entered my mind. So I have no clue where that particular question is leading.

As for the whole closing-the-door-on-some-pretext-and-then-showering-the-student-with-compliments part, I admit that sounded a tiny bit fishy. It was just weird to me...somehow.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:50 AM

3,467 posts, read 8,143,924 times
So the teacher appears to single the one student out a lot, and you suspect it is a pretense to get the student alone? It seems there are some leaps being made to get to that conclusion. It could be innocent coincidence. Nothing you described the teacher saying seems inappropriate.

For the record, I imagined the teacher as female & student as male. None of the rest entered my head.

Old 10-29-2010, 03:35 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,284,951 times
Can I have some of whatever it is that you're smokin'?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:38 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,336,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshineleith View Post
Can I have some of whatever it is that you're smokin'?

Took the words tight out of my mouth
Reader sees new post. Reader tries to read post. Reader does not understand post. Reader wants the 5 minutes back that reader wasted of reader's life.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:44 AM

7,005 posts, read 21,336,879 times
I think Teacher wants a Pet.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:48 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,070,743 times
Student sounds needy.
Teacher sounds like a quality educator who is willing to identify areas of strength and weakness and work with that student to produce high quality results on paper.

Author of post needs to chill. There is nothing fishy about a teacher CARING about the work a student does and trying to help that student better themselves.

My thoughts are teacher is female, student is male.

Old 10-29-2010, 06:43 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,877,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueLuce View Post
Anything strike you as odd in this scenario?
No

Quote:
Did you form any idea of the gender of Teacher or Student?
Like others, I felt the teacher was female and student male.

Quote:
Would it change your view of the scenario if Teacher and Student were from different ethnicities? from different age groups?
No and no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships