Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 11:43 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,867,531 times

Advertisements

OC, I'm a Marine on recruiting duty. The Corps, for one won't even entertain a prior service package until January. Even then you're fighting over what scraps are left from whoever hasn't already re-enlisted on the AD side. The thing is prior service have last priority for a few of reasons.

1. Historically, prior service has basically been used to plug holes in enlistment and re-enlistments. Right now, there are no holes.
2. a prior service is going to be more expensive than a new enlistment, but not as experienced as someone who never got out
3. the attitude of "you got out, you had your shot". The ones who stayed in are going to get looked at for the re-enlsitment slots before prior service. Right now there aren't enough spots in most jobs for peopel that want to stay in, let alone get back in. And more peopel are trying to get back in than ever before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2010, 10:49 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,278,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Dmarie - Just curious - why is it an issue? If someone who had good reviews on their first time in and was looking to re-up - particularly after upgrading their education - I would think they would be very desirable candidates. I don't understand what the issue is, but I am obviously missing something. What's the real deal?? Thanks in advance for your insights

This issues are what the above poster mentioned, and the fact that we fill higher ranking positions from within. When someone leaves the military, there is usually someone else promoted into their slot, and someone promoted into the slot the first promotee left, ect. So in the end, the openings are for brand new E-1s. The military has recruiting goals for new recruits, that's what the plan is. Fill "Holes" from within, and bring in new recruits to "grow" them.

No one ever says, "Let's hold this E-5 medical position open, not promote someone into, and not fill it laterally, in case a prior service person wants to come back in."

The slots are really limited, I don't know all the details of why. I am not a policy maker. The Air Force, WORLD WIDE, only has 250 prior service slots for the WHOLE YEAR. There are a gazillion people vying for those. The ones we have are MOSTLY for people already trained in our hard to fill jobs, because they are the ones that actually have openings.

Historically, with the military having free health, most prior service have been treated for medical conditions. They are older than new recruits, and therefore have a greater chance of having a complicated enlistment with more addresses, jobs (each assignment and deployment counts as a job), more medical docs, more RX drug histories, more dependents, ect. It's a lot more work on the part of the recruiter. Because it is a long process, many prior service back out when they finally land a job. Many want to come back because they can't find a job, and then when they do, they bail.

There just isn't a need. The military can't hire people just to hire people. We are capped at the amount of people we can have in each branch by law. We don't hold slots for higher ranking people, we fill them and that moves the openings to low ranking new recruits. We can't hire someone that is an E-5 with 4 years of service if there aren't any slots. We would hurt retention if we kept slots open at the price of lower ranking people not getting promoted, ect.

There might be more too it, but that's the best guess I have.

Again, I'm not saying it is impossible... just really hard. It might be easier for the Army... but from an Air Force and Marine recruiter, it's not easy at all. Possible, but not as simple as just strolling into a recruiting office and asking for a job.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:05 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,444,900 times
Thanks to both of you for your insight.

I was more thinking of someone who did a tour & came out an e-4 or 5 and was willing to go back an e-4. I had not thought about people trying to reup straight into an NCO billet. I could see how that would be an issue. I had a prior service marine in my unit in ODS who was one of the best Jr. NCO's I worked with in the army. He had left the marines an CPL and then gone army as an SPC4 before we promoted him to SGT.

Then again it was a different recruiting enviroment in the late 80's as well...

Old 11-07-2010, 02:50 PM

I actually met a Marine at MEPS about a month or so ago who was enlisting into the Army. He would've lost rank had even been able to get back in the Marines. He was able to keep his rank going into the Army. As far as E4/E5s re-ing up it is easier for them than E6s or higher who go on what he we call a "long board" but still nigh impossible.

As far as the Army, I think it's easier for prior service-other service to join, but hard for prior service Army to get back in. As always, OP should check with a recruiter.

Last edited by macjr82; 11-07-2010 at 03:06 PM..

Old 11-08-2010, 03:32 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,517,452 times
I tried to get a waiver to re-enlist back in '99. Glad I didn't, as it turns out.

Why would they want someone who's experienced life outside the military, and has become accustomed to doing things the way they wanted, only to return to a more regimented lifestyle?

"Too old and set in your ways."

Old 11-08-2010, 07:02 AM

I've experienced the opposite with the prior service Marines I'v come into contact with in my career. They didn't enjoy being out of the Marine Corps. These people wer enot broke looking for a job and had been out for a few years. They just weren't satisfied with the life or lifestyle outside, Which is funny b/c one was a cop, which I imagined would be similar to being in the military. The number one reason I've seen cited fro people trying to come back in Esprit de Corps or the missing the fraternity. Heck half my day is spent dodging "red hatters" (retired/former Marines) who just want to talk and talk and talk and talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
I tried to get a waiver to re-enlist back in '99. Glad I didn't, as it turns out.

Why would they want someone who's experienced life outside the military, and has become accustomed to doing things the way they wanted, only to return to a more regimented lifestyle?

"Too old and set in your ways."

Old 11-12-2010, 08:57 AM

609 posts, read 1,135,412 times
So I am going o talk to Army recruiter Monday, the AF one is dragging her feet even though she acts super interested, and keeps reminding me shes going to call. I'm done with the waiting game, and my roommate still isn't helping either. She takes me to a job fair(unknown to me) and shows me all these jobs that I am not interested in. Most of them in her course of study. There are some recruiters there and she says, "You can't go back, don't look at them." I ask why, all she says is that she doesn't want me to go away. Sweet of her I guess, but it's not enough to make me want to stay here. Now shes telling what jobs I need to apply for. I'm trying not to snap at her, but this is getting ridiculous.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:28 AM

8,886 posts, read 20,262,668 times
Ok, first of all, I'm former Viet Nam era Navy. What I've seen, since I've been out (Honorable) is that many folks don't like the military period. And, to understand the question "why", I presume this is it: they know nobody who is in the military or a Veteran. Some are divorced from a military person and don't like the military due to that! Others simply think of the military as "firearms and killing" and they don't like that! Just like some folks don't like law enforcement, doctors, mechanics......the list goes on and on! Shoot, there are people out there that don't/won't celebrate Veteran's Day or Memorial Day......it's just a day off at work for them and they're very happy about that (paid holiday). 4th of July is the same way for many......a paid holiday with fireworks and picnics, not commemorating what 4th of July is really about!
We celebrate all of them and put U.S. Flags outside to commemorate them!
Dude, all I can say to you is DO what you want to do and not listen to these people..........END OF STORY!!

Old 11-12-2010, 09:40 AM

556 posts, read 795,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinetic_A View Post
....or just me going back. I told my roommate of 4 years that this is not working for me, albeit I am in school and getting paid for it, but that is my only saving grace. I told her that I'm considering going back in, but she gave me all of these reasons of why I shouldn't and she says "I'm taking the easy way out" or "Some people just can't handle civilian life" nonsense. And her female friends basically told me the same thing....among my other female friends. Her friend also said "You live one of the best parts of Miami(Downtown Brickell), you have an awesome apartment with a great view, not may people can say that". I could really care less where I live as long as its safe. Secondly its not mine, I'm renting a room. The guys I know are like go for it. Go figure.

My first mistake was leaving in the first place, thinking my military experience would land me a decent job....not so much. I've been out for seven years and all the jobs that have been placed in front of were complete garbage, and not many of them much higher than minimum wage. I am not looking make a career out of being a server, a cashier at some retail store, or a security guard. I would have done Firefighter, or Police officer, but they have a huge hiring freeze, and there are not many government job openings. Bailiff would have been nice, but there is a huge waiting list.

I really don't see the problem. I'm not married, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't own much, The majority of everything I have is in my room, hell I don't even have a car anymore....Why the hell would they want to keep a guy around that doesn't have much of anything? I'm trying to better myself, but this apparently is the wrong way?

Honestly, it really doesn't matter what she says, I am a grown man, I live my life the way I see fit. I was just giving her the heads up that this is a strong possibility within maybe the next(fiscal) year, or so.

And then, they TELL me what I need to do instead? Who the hell made them my mothers? I'm done ranting.

Any idea why would she(and my other female friends) be all up in arms about it?

You say you are in school. I have a question, are your room mate and her friends all college students? If so here in lies who is anti military. Not females in general, college students. Clooge students are taught mainly by anti military liberals. Like it or not they are. They aren't just taught the subject they are taking, they are almost always forced to learn and agree with their liberal professor. So basically, these women that think that you can't handle civilian life (PAAAHAAAAAA what a joke!!!) are just the latest product of the liberal education factory.

Good luck!

Old 11-12-2010, 01:15 PM

609 posts, read 1,135,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kel6604 View Post
You say you are in school. I have a question, are your room mate and her friends all college students? If so here in lies who is anti military. Not females in general, college students. Clooge students are taught mainly by anti military liberals. Like it or not they are. They aren't just taught the subject they are taking, they are almost always forced to learn and agree with their liberal professor. So basically, these women that think that you can't handle civilian life (PAAAHAAAAAA what a joke!!!) are just the latest product of the liberal education factory.

Good luck!
Some of her friends are...and the others are just anti military, I suppose, even though they think men in uniforms are sexy. I'm still going through with my decision, I'm just disappointed with her and my other friend's reactions. Whatever happened to supporting whatever[positive] choice I make, as long as I'm happy with it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships