Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 09:38 PM

1,643 posts, read 4,434,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
As somebody said once: Facebook! Wrecking marriages since 2004!
I agree, but more like since 2007-ish. Facebook USED to be a very useful social network for us University students....once they opened it up to everybody, people began to use it as tool to get back in touch with past loves, exploring new and exciting infidelity options, showing off babies, and ranting and raving about crap nobody cares about like a 13 year old middle schooler. UGH!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 09:53 PM

677 posts, read 1,538,145 times
How was your marriage prior to this?

Old 11-01-2010, 10:07 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
I agree, but more like since 2007-ish. Facebook USED to be a very useful social network for us University students....once they opened it up to everybody, people began to use it as tool to get back in touch with past loves, exploring new and exciting infidelity options, showing off babies, and ranting and raving about crap nobody cares about like a 13 year old middle schooler. UGH!
You're right. I just looked up the year because I didn't remember. The amazing part is it took so little time for me to even forget how it started. Yeah, it would've been good if it remained a networking site for students as initially intended. Digging corpses is never a good idea!

Old 11-01-2010, 10:33 PM

5 posts, read 5,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
As a recently divorced man, I completely relate to your last paragraph. The level of emotional ambivalence out there is asphyxiating. People are as reliable as a box of mashed potato flakes. Squirrels with no emotional fortitude. And facebook has shun a dirty embarrassing light on our emotional interactions. People juggling multiple emotional relationships at a time, keeping "friends" on the wings waiting to swoop in for that all-important facebook "relationship status change". Monkeys. we're monkeys, crude, disloyal, callous, self-interested. I'm never getting married again. I love keeping the lights on in my house and food on the table, I can't build myself up to give that hard-earned security up on such shaky grounds as the stock of humanity that surrounds me, as it relates to interpersonal relationships.
As demoralizing as your post is, it is somewhat encouraging to read it. Not because the content is encouraging but because you actually seem like a person that wants interpersonal relationships with depth and meaning. This has been hard for me to find so there is some sense of relief in recognition. At least there are some people with depth remaining in this world. But with the rampant capriciousness and shallowness of our day, it is very hard not to succumb to despair.

Old 11-02-2010, 02:50 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
In your particular case, it seems as if its a problem. I don't have such conversations with "friends" on Facebook, myself, particularly not with women that indicate that they're in a relationship. I just don't do it.

I might make a comment here or there on something they post, but I don't especially pick anyone out.

Well, I suppose I might comment on relatives' posts more than anyone else's.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 AM

199 posts, read 490,869 times
Get ready to get cheated on when ur wife goes on vacation overseas. Shes spending 5 hours on facebook talking to the guy, saw words like "i love you" and "you can never be replaced" on their convo and you still didn't get the message. That should be enough evidence to put an immediate end to the relationship.

Old 11-02-2010, 05:48 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,710,427 times
All ye ladies making secret "convo"s on facebook, take a history clearing book for dummies. Don't be so dumb

While you're at it, send me a farmville cow.

Old 11-02-2010, 06:58 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,640,374 times
I agree that FB and most online sites like that do enable people to get back in touch with old flames, find new ones etc.. but still, as an adult and in a committed relationship, you have to know when the draw the line UNLESS you are looking for trouble.

I have FB, I stay in touch with friends and family, it was how I invited some people to our Halloween party and I find it a great way to stay in touch but that's where I draw the line, I'd never think to catch up with old b/f's, find someone new, etc... but then again, I'm in a committed and content relationship. Even if something with that changed, the last place I'd be looking for love would be FB, lol

I agree with the poster that suggested you keep all transcripts of these conversations, it shows intent if nothing else when / if you head to divorce court. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:19 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Interpol76 View Post
Facebook is only what someone makes of it. Plenty of people communicate with only family on Facebook. And some use it for work and social reasons, not as a way to commit adultery.

In the OP's case, his wife is trying to commit adultery. It took some effort for her to look up old lovers and connect with them. In fact it seems it's taking her many hours every day to connect and make plans to cheat on her husband. You can't blame Facebook for that - nothing forces her to do what she's doing.

Like other posters said, the OP needs to start cancelling credit cards, collect the evidence, and protect himself and his finances and send her packing. She wants to cheat. Cut her loose.

Old 11-02-2010, 07:30 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times
Got an account in FB last year b/c my classmates from '68 were on there setting up a reunion. My wife knows and it don't bother her. But, then again, we don't have a "problem marriage"! I only spend a few minutes on FB. FB isn't the problem here, it's the lady that is going to the website and creating the problem! Just sounds like another marriage with major problems!

One of my wife's classmates was having major problems in her marriage, went into a chat room and started chatting with a guy she knew from high school. Apparently she done this when hubby wasn't home. Anyway, the son of another classmate got married in Vegas and we went to the wedding. The classmate with the marital problems was there also......minus her husband. The guy from the chat room was there though! During one of their "chats" she told him that she'd would be in Vegas for a wedding, so he flew in. She sure appeared to be glad to see him! During the wed recpt., they were dancing and he gave her a kiss, surprising folks that knew her and her husband. Nobody said anything to her though! From what we heard, he spent the night in her room. We don't associate with this lady anymore. Don't like CHEATERS!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships