Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
I approve of it 20 33.90%
I don't approve of it 16 27.12%
It depends 21 35.59%
Don't know 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 09:32 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
I try not to associate with atheists if I can help it.

Me and my wife will make it clear to our daughter that we feel she should date only catholics, when she is old enough.
really?

I'm glad my parents never put any constraints on who we could or couldn't date. It wouldn't have worked anyway, as they raised us to be confident, think for ourselves, ..... and be open minded

Old 11-07-2010, 09:36 PM

478 posts, read 784,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Approve or disprove? I couldn't possibly answer that. Who am I to approve or disprove a relationship between 2 consenting adults anyway?
Right On!

Old 11-07-2010, 09:58 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,158,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
Didn't you just condone cheating (or similar) in another thread?
I never condone cheating, I think its a terrible thing to do. But I believe the woman who was the OP (in that other thread)was asking if "all" men cheat. I don't think so, but the ones that do tend to have rather simple reasons for (and ways of) going about it.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
really?

I'm glad my parents never put any constraints on who we could or couldn't date. It wouldn't have worked anyway, as they raised us to be confident, think for ourselves, ..... and be open minded
There will not be constraints. I think that is a bit much. But I think emphasis on dating people with a like minded value system is very crucial to relationship stability. I am bit concerned for her, as Christians are not always well-recieved out this way.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,181,218 times
Quote:
I never condone cheating, I think its a terrible thing to do. But I believe the woman who was the OP (in that other thread)was asking if "all" men cheat. I don't think so, but the ones that do tend to have rather simple reasons for (and ways of) going about it.
These are your words...

"Do most men "cheat" ?It depends. Men are like dogs, we want our heads patted and our bellies rubbed, and if the woman aint doin' it, we will find a woman who will."

Not only is it condoning, but a statement that you will if your wife doesn't rub you. I bet your wife would find your words hateful and crude. Obviously, hate and crudeness is not a measure of religiosity or lack thereof. eta: maybe you meant other men, but the 'we' is pretty self-inclusive on your part.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 PM

478 posts, read 784,371 times
Are arranged marriages the way to go?

Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,105,782 times
Quote:
There will not be constraints. I think that is a bit much. But I think emphasis on dating people with a like minded value system is very crucial to relationship stability. I am bit concerned for her, as Christians are not always well-recieved out this way.
I've seen a few relationships fail. Not because the two people didn't love each other, didn't support each other or make each other happy.

But because their parents and families couldn't cope because they weren't the same religion.

To me, that's quite sad.

Old 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
These are your words...

"Do most men "cheat" ?It depends. Men are like dogs, we want our heads patted and our bellies rubbed, and if the woman aint doin' it, we will find a woman who will."

Not only is it condoning, but a statement that you will if your wife doesn't rub you. I bet your wife would find your words hateful and crude. Obviously, hate and crudeness is not a measure of religiosity or lack thereof. eta: maybe you meant other men, but the 'we' is pretty self-inclusive on your part.
I was going along with the spirit of the thread. She asked about "all men" so I gave insight from a male perspective and said we. If I was a woman I would have said the same thing and would have said "they" instead of we. And I never put anything in bold, you added that LoL.

I do agree tha hate and crudeness is not a measure of faith in this world.

And I try not to make the wife mad with the words, I hate watching infomercials on the couch

Old 11-07-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgal View Post
I've seen a few relationships fail. Not because the two people didn't love each other, didn't support each other or make each other happy.

But because their parents and families couldn't cope because they weren't the same religion.

To me, that's quite sad.
Yes that happens, but that is the nature of relationships here. I've seen relationships that are golden too and like minded values played a huge part.

Old 11-08-2010, 12:05 AM

1,589 posts, read 2,681,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoEdible View Post
Once again, I'm not even a religious person and I can't see how someone who has a belief in Christ can have a real, meaningful relationship with someone who doesn't believe. Maybe the Christian who can do that doesn't really have a belief in Christ? Or maybe their Bible studies aren't really good because they would know that the Bible teaches that you can't be in a union with someone who doesn't believe? Honestly, I think people sling around the term Christian too easily and call themselves a Christian, but really don't believe in Christ. So, for them, it shouldn't matter if they date or marry an Atheist, because they really only aren't living a Christian life. Being a Christian is more than just refering to yourself as a Christian or saying, "I'm Christian." Yes, to become a Christian you acccept Christ, but some people who call themselves Christian haven't even done that.
SoEdible - Sorry, I'm still not following you. Are you trying to say that if a person is not living a Christian life in every way, then he shouldn't be calling himself a Christian? If I'm understanding you correctly, then I think there are no people living on earth who can claim to be a true Christian.

Don't you know that Christians are sinners? When you call them out on their wrongdoings, they will be the first to tell you that. It's a fundamental part of their identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.