Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ...
I approve of it 20 33.90%
I don't approve of it 16 27.12%
It depends 21 35.59%
Don't know 2 3.39%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2010, 11:10 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
That's just what I was about to post.
All I know is I dont believe in religion but I sure thank God for women who look like Neemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-04-2010, 11:15 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
That all depends.. I think it would be difficult for an Evangelical Christian to marry a more militant Atheist, but it's not to say it hasn't happened in the past. I myself would prefer someone in the middle. Yes, I'm an Atheist and don't believe in a higher power at all, but I do believe in constantly searching for things that make your life make more sense. For some, that's a belief in a god, for others it can be fasting and meditation.

I just don't want someone who is so set in their ways that they are unable to branch out and discover new things and grow as a person.

That said, I don't think I would ever be able to marry a hardcore follower of any religion. I like to sleep in on Sundays

Old 11-04-2010, 11:18 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And by the same token, we who DO believe and know without a shadow of a doubt that God is very real and very present in our lives feel "sad" for people like you.

You can pity us all you want, but we know the real pity is that you've never allowed yourself to know our loving creator

No sense in continuing to try to insult people here with your use of the "fairy tales" accusation. You are certainly entitled to your version of the truth, just as we are entitled to ours. As a Christian I respect your right to believe in, or not believe in, whatever you want - and I also know God loves you enough to do the same. So lay off the condesending insults on what Christians believe in please. How about getting back on topic now...
I was nodding my head in agreement until the bolded, which comes off as slightly arrogant. You're saying that we all have the right to believe what we want, but then sneak in the bit about god loving us enough to do the same. I think that's one of the biggest issues I have with religious folk. If you truly believed what you said, you wouldn't end it with a slightly snide comment like that.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,633,327 times
haha, well that's in their nature, really. The power of religion is immense, obviously, and when people are brain-washed as children to believe in something like this, and it makes them feel GOOD to believe in that (why wouldn't it? It's a nice idea!), they're going to be passionate about it.

But that doesn't mean it's condescending to say that believing in things you cannot prove is silly. It's not condescending at all. My friend Ben has been to the looney bin now about 4 times, and sometimes believes there are purple dragons chasing him, how is that any more ridiculous than believing the stuff in the Bible? I mean the world is 6,000 years old, there are no dinosaurs, god created the entire world in 7 days or whatever, or 6 days, I guess he rested on the 7th, and on top of that Adam and Eve somehow bred with each other and their kids bred with each other and that's how we have 6 billion people? I mean really, you'd have to have an incredibly juvenile mind to believe any of that rubbish. Or be completely brain-washed, I guess, either way, haha.

I of course think anyone can believe in anything, I mean I believed in Santa for a few years when I was younger, and it was a pleasant delusion, so far be it from me to say you CAN'T be delusional, but when these same people vote on key political issues based on their fairy tale beliefs, well, yeah, then it does become a concern for sure and something that should concern any intelligent member of a democracy. I just thank the religious people who still vote with their minds, rather than their religions. And to the others, well, what can you say. Adults with imaginary friends are usually committed to mental institutions, except when enough other people have the same delusion, then we call it "religion." Sometimes, you gotta feel like you're surrounded by crazies in this country, and just have a good natured laugh about it.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:31 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,003,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Trust me ma'am, God has nothing to do with it.
Quote:
"There was a poor old woman living alone who had no food. She prayed that God would send someone to help her. A passerby, overhearing her pleas, took pity and delivered a bag of groceries to her doorstep. When she arrived home and found the groceries, she jumped up and down, praising the Lord, "Thank you, Lord, for answering my prayer and sending me some food!" The passerby, hidden in a nearby bush to watch for her reaction, rushed out to proclaim, "Ma'am, I brought you this food, God had nothing to do with it." The woman, still overjoyed, waving her hands in the air and full of praise began jumping and dancing for joy again, praying, "Not only did the Lord answer my prayers and fed me but he used the devil to do it!"
LOL Sorry, I digress. I always thought that was a cute story.

I think the 2 Corinthians passage about not being unequally yoked is more a warning than a mandate. It's a warning that water and oil--so to speak--do not mix, and could only cause strife in the relationship (although, it doesn't just pertain to marriage, per se) not that one is beneath the other or that it's a sin.

Old 11-04-2010, 11:39 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I was nodding my head in agreement until the bolded, which comes off as slightly arrogant. You're saying that we all have the right to believe what we want, but then sneak in the bit about god loving us enough to do the same. I think that's one of the biggest issues I have with religious folk. If you truly believed what you said, you wouldn't end it with a slightly snide comment like that.
Sorry to have offended, it really was not my intention to be snide at all. I sincerely meant that God really does love us all enough to let us be whoever we choose to be - just trying to spread some understanding

Old 11-04-2010, 11:53 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,451,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
LOL Sorry, I digress. I always thought that was a cute story.

I think the 2 Corinthians passage about not being unequally yoked is more a warning than a mandate. It's a warning that water and oil--so to speak--do not mix, and could only cause strife in the relationship (although, it doesn't just pertain to marriage, per se) not that one is beneath the other or that it's a sin.

That was a cute story. I can't tell you how many times my mother has attributed my successes to "the lord" and wanted me to give "praise to him". Most of the time I just mumble a yeah or something like that.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
And by the same token, we who DO believe and know without a shadow of a doubt that God is very real and very present in our lives feel "sad" for people like you.

You can pity us all you want, but we know the real pity is that you've never allowed yourself to know our loving creator

No sense in continuing to try to insult people here with your use of the "fairy tales" accusation. You are certainly entitled to your version of the truth, just as we are entitled to ours. As a Christian I respect your right to believe in, or not believe in, whatever you want - and I also know God loves you enough to do the same. So lay off the condesending insults on what Christians believe in please. How about getting back on topic now...
But I have gotten to know "our Creator." I studied the Big Bang Theory in college.

Old 11-04-2010, 12:22 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Dan View Post
All I know is I dont believe in religion but I sure thank God for women who look like Neemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And captain finds some gap to hit on the CD women. Good grief. What else is new?

Old 11-04-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
And captain finds some gap to hit on the CD women. Good grief. What else is new?
Nuthin nu! I is hu i is. Thank God!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships