Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:32 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times

Advertisements

There is a woman that I do business with frequently. She is much older than I am (15 years) and she is married. So am I by the way. Several of my other business partners have said they think she has a crush on me and even go so far as to call her my cougar. I can tell she flirts with me but its not big deal to me cause I do not look at her in that way. I have never told her she is attractive or nice looking even though she is attractive. I really do not flirt back in other words. I just learned at a young age to stay professional around women when doing business (my eyes never go below the neck).

She has invited me to lunch several times. The first time I went with other business partners so it was a group of us. The next time we went alone. It wasn't anything taboo. Just lunch, talking about kids and business. Now she asks me every other week to go to lunch. So we have been about a half dozen times. She has starting telling me about her marriage being in trouble and how her husband is out of town weeks at a time. I mainly listen and do not talk much about myself and my situation. She asks me for help with things I think she should be asking her husband like auto maintenance, house, and kid advice. So even though nothing is going on is she some how making me her platonic boy toy?

Do you all think these are inappropriate lunches? Should I stop going with her? I would prefer to hear from women... but men you can chime in too I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2010, 09:34 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,987,929 times
If you're uncomfortable with it, then it's inappropriate. If you're not, then that's a different story.

That aside, it does sound to me as if she's putting you into a place of importance that *could* become a problem later on. I just get that feeling.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:36 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,722,558 times
inappropriate would be exciting. these lunches sound boring.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,894,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
If you're uncomfortable with it, then it's inappropriate. If you're not, then that's a different story.

That aside, it does sound to me as if she's putting you into a place of importance that *could* become a problem later on. I just get that feeling.

Great point. I should have stated that I do not feel uncomfortable around her...

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

Location: Everybody is going to hurt you, you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for-B Marley
9,516 posts, read 20,000,387 times
First of all, listen to your intuition--that's the answer. And I think yours is definitely telling you--thus, the post--this is headed in the wrong direction, at least in her mind. She's easing into it or working up the nerve to make a move. If she asks you out to lunch again, I'd tell her you and some friends are going and she's welcome to join you. Do that every time til she gets the message.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:39 AM

635 posts, read 1,704,372 times
I think as long as you don't cross that line, there is nothing wrong with this situation. Remember, it only gets to that point if you allow it.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:44 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emirate25 View Post
I think as long as you don't cross that line, there is nothing wrong with this situation. Remember, it only gets to that point if you allow it.

Ordinarily I would agree but if she is making a concerted effort to make her flirtations obvious at work to the point where coworkers notice...then there will be something wrong with this situation. Keep your nose clean, don't s**t where you eat if you want to keep this job and keep the office gossips out of your life.

She is clearly playing a game, and unless you are genuinely interested in her blatant goal ....if you don't want to be in the middle of something you will have one tough time explaining your way out of either to coworkers, superiors or your wife, I'd reduce the lunches to a respectful minimum.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:48 AM

4,941 posts, read 8,323,915 times
Maybe she just finds you easy to talk to. If nothing inappropriate is being discussed or touched, why are you so paranoid about it? I could see if she was asking you to fix her car, something at her house or watch her kids (as it's her husband who should be doing these things) but she's merely asking for advice.

You are in control of your actions, if you are questioning your ability to keep it in check, then yes, discontinue having lunch with her alone.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:54 AM

3,688 posts, read 5,012,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte Byrd View Post
First of all, listen to your intuition--that's the answer. And I think yours is definitely telling you--thus, the post--this is headed in the wrong direction, at least in her mind. She's easing into it or working up the nerve to make a move. If she asks you out to lunch again, I'd tell her you and some friends are going and she's welcome to join you. Do that every time til she gets the message.

^^^^
This, +1.

This most definitely IS the slow work-up. She's letting you know she's available, that there is plenty of opportunity and that it's relatively safe since HER portion of danger will be away. It's up to you (per her thinking) to handle YOURS (should you prove interested).

WB gave you the best advice: Stick to lunch with several friends and happily invite her along to join. Keep doing this until she backs off, although I also would expect that she'll make a play suggesting that you're either too timid to have lunch alone with her (the old "shaming" ploy) or she'll play the pity-card and suggest that perhaps you don't like her, by which you're supposed to "prove" you do by continuing to have lunch.

If this doesn't pan out for her, be wary of vindictiveness. It probably won't happen but there's a REASON the saying Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned actually STUCK.

Old 11-10-2010, 09:55 AM

1,327 posts, read 3,677,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
There is a woman that I do business with frequently. She is much older than I am (15 years) and she is married. So am I by the way. Several of my other business partners have said they think she has a crush on me and even go so far as to call her my cougar. I can tell she flirts with me but its not big deal to me cause I do not look at her in that way. I have never told her she is attractive or nice looking even though she is attractive. I really do not flirt back in other words. I just learned at a young age to stay professional around women when doing business (my eyes never go below the neck).

She has invited me to lunch several times. The first time I went with other business partners so it was a group of us. The next time we went alone. It wasn't anything taboo. Just lunch, talking about kids and business. Now she asks me every other week to go to lunch. So we have been about a half dozen times. She has starting telling me about her marriage being in trouble and how her husband is out of town weeks at a time. I mainly listen and do not talk much about myself and my situation. She asks me for help with things I think she should be asking her husband like auto maintenance, house, and kid advice. So even though nothing is going on is she some how making me her platonic boy toy?

Do you all think these are inappropriate lunches? Should I stop going with her? I would prefer to hear from women... but men you can chime in too I guess.

You need to get as far away from this woman as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships