Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2010, 07:52 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Could a person be near-worthless then? Consider a person who has nothing to truly offer to someone, nothing that couldn't be bested by many many others.
I think so. I would classify those who don't contribute to society and are able/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 07:53 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Could a person be near-worthless then? Consider a person who has nothing to truly offer to someone, nothing that couldn't be bested by many many others.
How can a person have nothing to offer others? Anyone can volunteer somewhere and help make the world a better place.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:54 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
How can a person have nothing to offer others? Anyone can volunteer somewhere and help make the world a better place.
It is those who can and don't or won't that I take issue with.

Old 11-13-2010, 08:54 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Chuang Tzu once spoke in defense of a "useless" tree...
Quote:
Hui Tzu said to Chuang Tzu, "I have a big tree named ailanthus. Its trunk is too gnarled and bumpy to apply a measuring line to, its branches too bent and twisty to match up to a compass or square. You could stand it by the road and no carpenter would look at it twice. Your words, too, are big and useless, and so everyone alike spurns them!"

Chuang Tzu said, "Maybe you've never seen a wildcat or a weasel. It crouches down and hides, watching for something to come along. It leaps and races east and west, not hesitating to go high or low-until it falls into the trap and dies in the net. Then again there's the ***, big as a cloud covering the sky. It certainly knows how to be big, though it doesn't know how to catch rats.

Now you have this big tree and you're distressed because it's useless. Why don't you plant it in Not-Even-Anything Village, or the field of Broad-and-Boundless, relax and do nothing by its side, or lie down for a free and easy sleep under it? Axes will never shorten its life, nothing can ever harm it. If there's no use for it, how can it come to grief or pain?"

Old 11-13-2010, 08:57 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,692,607 times
"If there's no use for it, how can it come to grief or pain?"

Trust me Mr. Tzu, it can.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:05 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:
Basically, can a person have nothing of value to offer to others, except maybe their own family? What do you think?
Yes. For instance, pedophiles are worthless.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,974 times
Quote:
You are putting things together that do not rightly go together. One is a person that has nothing to offer. The other is one who is not as good as others. Their worth can not be adjudged in the same way.

Once again, I ask why the question? If you are feeling worthless than you need help from outside or from inside yourself. A person should always have self worth which is different than worth attached by others. For instance, to me I am irreplaceable of incalculable worth. Others the world away would put little to no worth on me, they know me not. That does not impact me in the least. If the whole world thought I was "worthless" than perhaps I would need to adjust how I lived so as to not appear that way to them.

You need to ponder why you think the way you do. It is a very dangerous way to think.

Old 11-13-2010, 09:25 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,622,832 times
Quote:
"If there's no use for it, how can it come to grief or pain?"

Trust me Mr. Tzu, it can.
Well, I think he had a slightly different scenario in mind - I doubt he chased a lot of women after he "gave up" society and became a monk...

But yeah - sometimes being labeled "useless" is a GOOD thing - whenever my ex- wanted something done around the house she'd look at me, pause, mutter "useless" and call in a contractor.

Thus, I achieved harmony and peace by being "useless".

Old 11-13-2010, 10:07 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
What is worth?

To me, there's a rough calculus to the question. Namely is this a person who creates a better world based on his treatment of others? Or is this a person who is nothing more than a destroyer of happiness in others?

Assuming that we're speaking of people with normal faculties then, yes, I think there are some people who are worthless. I've known people who have left a trail of destruction behind them in the form of destroyed lives. I've known people who preyed on the generosity of others. I've known people who simply gave no thought to others and the messes they create--and their potential be damned. Oh, sure, there are those who turn their lives around. But even then, those are people who decide to assign value to their own lives. It is not up to me to create it for them.

So if the world would have been a better place had that person never been born, that constitutes worthlessness in my book. Anything else is a bunch of pious gibberish.

Old 11-13-2010, 03:06 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,026,063 times
Quote:
Basically, can a person have nothing of value to offer to others, except maybe their own family? What do you think?
Yes, they are what I like to call young souls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships