Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times

Advertisements

You don't have to ditch your friends. A lot of guys I knew in college did exactly what you guys do (videogames, drink). But if you want to be more "interesting," it seems to me like you feel you're in a rut and ought to experience some new things. They can come with you if they want, but when I branch out I usually anticipate being alone.

By the way, the bass thing is cool. Why don't you find some other people to have jam sessions with or even start a band? You don't have to actually do a lot with it, but it's fun to hang out and play with other people. And yes, we always thought the bass player was hot...just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 08:30 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuinlalaland View Post
So...why don't you just copy what he does?
because that's the thing... I can't quite put my finger on what it is about him that attracts girls to him.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:34 PM

496 posts, read 940,796 times
Do you say what you're thinking when you think it? Or do you have some kind of internal censor (aka superego) that has very narrow standards for your behavior? It must be some issue with the filter between your thought processes and your verbalizations. I just can't imagine that you don't have interesting thoughts. We all have different backgrounds and brains, which culminate in expression... if you let yourself be you, I'm sure you're interesting.

Old 11-14-2010, 10:12 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,687,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post
Do you say what you're thinking when you think it? Or do you have some kind of internal censor (aka superego) that has very narrow standards for your behavior? It must be some issue with the filter between your thought processes and your verbalizations. I just can't imagine that you don't have interesting thoughts. We all have different backgrounds and brains, which culminate in expression... if you let yourself be you, I'm sure you're interesting.
I could wax poetic about the state of affairs or the human condition (albeit not nearly as well as a true philosopher, but still) but nobody wants to talk about that.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:01 AM

355 posts, read 615,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazejen View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
I could wax poetic about the state of affairs or the human condition (albeit not nearly as well as a true philosopher, but still) but nobody wants to talk about that.
That's BS, man, i can't believe a guy that can admit that he is not interesting is...well...not interesting)).

Perhaps you just need to experiment more. Socially, i mean.
Find a group of people that doesn't know you completely, and that is not connected to your social circles in any way. Become a part of that group with an image considerably different from your usual image. See how people accept you, analyze, find another group, pick a new image, repeat. It's tons of fun and will tell you a million things about yourself +will get you more than enough stories to tell. You're smart guy, right? Pick yourself a few "target audiences" and experiment. See how they react to your thoughts and opinions. I'd suggest to start with something casual like volunteers, community service groups or discussion clubs and then move on to subcultures(those guys are sooo much fun). You'll meet a lot of new people (lots of new girls...) and learn a lot of new stuff.

Old 11-15-2010, 05:13 AM

10,364 posts, read 20,788,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
@Stepka when that biological clock starts (if it ever does) ticking, I guess.
Huh?

Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,639,656 times
I didn't read everyones posts so hopefully I'm not being repetitive. I read a LOT. I think reading can really open up your mind, your views, gives you things to discuss, and overall I think reading just makes you a smarter person. I don't mean to read junk, I mean read quality pieces like classics or autobiographies about other people, etc. Read the dictionary, read the encyclopedia, read information that has facts but in quick doses. The more knowledgeable you are on many topics, the more easily you can converse and if you can hold a conversation and actually have something to talk about then you will be more interesting.
Coolhand also said to travel. I completely agree. Travel to towns in your state you've not been in, travel to neighboring states, whatever fits your budget but being well read, well traveled, etc just makes for a more interesting person.

Old 06-09-2019, 07:05 PM

622 posts, read 395,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
With all respect, we become who we hang with.

There have been many studies on the effects of belonging to a group of friends and how you can actually become limited by them. In other words, you're no better or worse than the friends you hang with.

Maybe it is time to seek out a new group of friends...
I was thinking this too, that he needs different friends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
Doesn't your University have informal classes on various things. I remember back when I attended school there was no credit courses in unarmed combat, fencing, cooking, theater and other outside the normal curriculum stuff. (theres a word for these courses but I can not recall at the mo.). Quite often there are plenty of nifty coeds in these classes plus the fun of learning something new. Just a thought for you. It would eat into your video game time since these courses are usually held in the evenings or weekends.
And this would be a great way to meet new friends who share similar interests.

Old 06-10-2019, 06:07 PM

4,043 posts, read 3,770,251 times
It's not what you do, it's how you think, though having more interesting hobbies can't hurt. Have a point of view on everything. Stay true to how you really think. Only then can you be unique and stand out from the crowd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships