Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 06:39 AM

42,831 posts, read 88,156,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SifuPhil View Post
You are indeed lucky, little one, that you did not share the fate of so many others when they first encountered a living god...
Oh, lucky me, I was spared! Praise God Monitor!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 06:57 AM

158 posts, read 270,332 times
Default Need to see other women

[SIZE=3]Since it is a platonic relationship you are having you have no obligation to not go out and see other available females. Once she sees you are not interested hopefully she will take the hint and start dating other men that may be a better match in line with her wishes.[/SIZE]

Old 11-17-2010, 07:00 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
It's funny to listen to people claim they could never be friends with someone of the opposite sex. It reminds me of guys who are afraid to be around someone who's gay. What do both of those people have in common? They have a pretty high opinion of themselves. If you're a woman who thinks every man wants you or if you're a straight guy who's convinced every gay guy wants you, then you must think you're hot ****. When will these guys realize that not every gay guy wants them? When will these women realize that not every straight man wants them? Do you think your being a woman guarantees that he'll have some attraction to you? I work with women everyday that I have zero interest in. Just because I like women doesn't mean I'm going be attracted to every woman I meet. And to presume that having an attraction to someone precludes your being able to have a friendship with someone underestimates people's ability to deal with their feelings. This isn't high school. We work alongside attractive people and somehow manage to make it work. Imagine that.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
It's funny to listen to people claim they could never be friends with someone of the opposite sex. It reminds me of guys who are afraid to be around someone who's gay. What do both of those people have in common? They have a pretty high opinion of themselves. If you're a woman who thinks every man wants you or if you're a straight guy who's convinced every gay guy wants you, then you must think you're hot ****. When will these guys realize that not every gay guy wants them? When will these women realize that not every straight man wants them? Do you think your being a woman guarantees that he'll have some attraction to you? I work with women everyday that I have zero interest in. Just because I like women doesn't mean I'm going be attracted to every woman I meet. And to presume that having an attraction to someone precludes your being able to have a friendship with someone underestimates people's ability to deal with their feelings. This isn't high school. We work alongside attractive people and somehow manage to make it work. Imagine that.
Your case was already discussed, Denny. See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
These "friends" are the "nice" guys who hang around in the hope that some day - be it next week, next month, next year, next decade, next century - they may get into your pants after all.

Old 11-17-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Thanks.

Did I say something HAS to happen?! No. But do they want to? Damn right they do!

Men themselves have repeatedly confirmed my stance numerous times on numerous threads and some women just refuse to learn... These "friends" are the "nice" guys who hang around in the hope that some day - be it next week, next month, next year, next decade, next century - they may get into your pants after all.
This is the statement of someone who engages in gender stereotyping. I don't hang around my female friends in the hope that it might turn into something more. Frankly, I think your statement says more about you and than it does about men. I suspect you have very little regard for men, which is why you're able to make such a broad generalization about them. Imagine the outrage if a similar statement were made about women.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:02 AM

Quote:
This is the statement of someone who engages in gender stereotyping. I don't hang around my female friends in the hope that it might turn into something more. Frankly, I think your statement says more about you and than it does about men. I suspect you have very little regard for men, which is why you're able to make such a broad generalization about them. Imagine the outrage if a similar statement were made about women.
I just happen to be a woman, Denny, which I don't believe you are, and I've also seen enough men in a long enough time span in my life to be able to make an informative decision on the matter! I've honestly shared I used to believe in this BS when I was younger. I've been proven wrong every single time. If you pay more attention, you'll notice I don't play party lines and I'm not outraged when some not that palatable truth about women has been discussed.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
I just happen to be a woman, Denny, which I don't believe you are, and I've also seen enough men in a long enough time span in my life to be able to make an informative decision on the matter! I've honestly shared I used to believe in this BS when I was younger. I've been proven wrong every single time. If you pay more attention, you'll notice I don't play party lines and I'm not outraged when some not that palatable truth about women has been discussed.
Your being a woman doesn't make you an expert on the male mind, no matter how much experience you have. The bottom line is that you don't know me or my friends and yet you're quick to declare that, deep down, I'm hoping to someday sleep with them. I take great offense to that. Seems like the only thing this wealth of experience you claim to have has taught you is that you can make assumptions about people you don't know. But if you haven't been able to be "just friends" with any of the men you've met, then what's the common denominator? Them being men? Or perhaps it's you. Something to think about.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Or perhaps it's you.
Perhaps...

Old 11-17-2010, 08:22 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
I'm with Sierra on this. Logically, I know that there are tons of men and women who are just friends. In my own personal experience most of the time when I thought a guy and I were totally cool and platonic, he went and did something like kiss me or declare his interest for something more. Maybe it's me (I get the common denominator thing,) but the platonic friends thing just hasn't worked.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:32 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
I am with sierraAZ and Fleetiebelle on this. Friends with the opposite gender can work only when the thought of sex is removed from the equation. Thus you can be friendly with the gal who is in a commited relationship, a fellow worker, or a undesirable for a multitude of other reasons such as age or incapacity, but if there is any thought of sex than tension will arise sooner or later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships