Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogwalker425 View Post
I will say that a white Christmas is highly overrated. After our Christmas blizzard last year, I wouldn't cry if I never saw snow again (too late!). However, I would hate to spend Christmas anywhere warm.

I always wish for a white Christmas. Nothing better than to wake up with glittering snow heavy on the pine trees, riding thru the quite woods, snowball fights, snowperson building, sledding and homemade hot chocolate. We havent gotten a big snow in many yrs. now. Maybe this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Yea, just like after 9/11 happened.......tons of people were flying American flags from their car windows, displaying our flag during the 4th, Memorial Day, and Veteran's Day and NOW look, hardly see any flags flying like that at all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It is refreshing, but I just wish people kept it up. I'm sure plenty are genuinely doing it (rather than because they don't wanna be Mr. Grinch) but it'd still be nice. Kinda like Valentine's Day or Veteran's Day.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:33 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *VaNiLlaGoRrilLa* View Post
You bet it is! Nothing in the world like an Australian summer. Christmas is usually a 40 (104) degree day spent at the beach with family.

I can’t imagine being somewhere where it was freezing/snowing at Christmas time!
Blech. That would be a miserable Christmas for me. Give me a White Christmas every year please!

Yeah....I LOVE CHRISTMAS!!!! My absolutely favorite time of the year!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:34 AM

37,593 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First, for the 22 years I was single/divorced, I didn't decorate a thing and bought a few Christmas gifts for me......things that I wanted! My wife of 10 yrs now is a "holiday phantic" when it comes to decorating for Christmas and I have to say I truely love it!! We are in our early 60's, no family close at all, but we still fully enjoy the holidays!

At our old house in south-metro Denver, CO, we had a two Christmas trees up....a 5' real one in front of the fireplace (didn't use the fireplace) in our living room and an 8' fake one in our large dining area that could be seen from the street. Decorated around the fireplace and on the stairs, put lights up outside........in other words, the house did indeed look like Christmas! In our apt now, we put up a real tree in our living room, set up a small Nativity Scene, decorate the bar with a Christmas Village, lights on the windows, lights/wreath on the outside of the door, lights on the shrubs in front and a lighted moving Buck Deer standing in front of the apt. Got a prize last year for one of the best decorated apts! Will do the same this year!
The shopping don't bother us cause we do very little of it. Want to go to the Christmas Tree lighting at the Landing and the Boat Parade this year. And, Christmas Eve Service, love that also!!
For those of you that don't do any of this, well......have fun anyway!!
Sounds lovely to me!!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:37 AM

8,938 posts, read 20,360,557 times
Now that we live in Florida, can't wish/want a white Christmas anymore, but that is just fine with us! We loved it when it happened while living in Colorado, but the shoveling, driving and "slip-sliding" in the stuff just isn't fun anymore when people get into their 60's! But, Christmas sure is beautiful when there is a nice snowfall on the ground. Yes, Christmas lights seem to twinkle brighter in fresh fallen snow!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I always wish for a white Christmas. Nothing better than to wake up with glittering snow heavy on the pine trees, riding thru the quite woods, snowball fights, snowperson building, sledding and homemade hot chocolate. We havent gotten a big snow in many yrs. now. Maybe this year.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,392,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by n10036 View Post
My brother sure seems to think so. Every year he makes the holidays into a NIGHTMARE by putting pressure on me to attend this or that activity, get this or that gift, etc. He starts talking about what he's going to get me for Christmas IN OCTOBER (which only makes me think, oh, I guess I have to start buying gifts soon). It immediately puts a bad taste in my mouth about the holidays and I start DREADING the next 12 weeks.

He also uses the old "if you don't do it for youirself, do it for me and my children" excuse in order to get me to attend Christmas dinner at his house, or partake in whatever. Meanwhile my parents also do the same thing to me, the holidays being the "BEST THING IN THE WORLD" (???).

My wife is like me or worse, she can't stand the holidays and shuns all family activities.

I used to like the holidays OKAY, but now the only thing I think of when the holidays come around are:

1. Having to spend money I don't have on gifts, otherwise I feel guilty. I also resent having to spend money period (even if I did have it), as the whole thing has turned into a 2-month period of ugly consumerism at its worst. Makes me ILL.

2. Having to attend family gatherings (even though we see each other all the time thru the year) because if I don't go, X, Yor Z relative will be "offended and hurt." Why is me not attending Thanksgiving the end of the freaking world?

3. Incessant holiday advertisements pressuring me to spend money.

4. All of the above.

Seriously, it makes me want to be insitutionalized during the months of Nov and Dec. so that when I get out in January, it will all be over and the world will be normal again. Am I the only one who feels this way?
My Lord! I could not have phrased it better myself. Thank you for your frank description of what surely many of us feel.

Each time around this year, I wish I could hit the "Fast-Forward" button all the way to January 3rd of the following year. Yes, it's the BS pressure of consumerism; the pointless parties & potlucks, etc..

I hear ya friend!

Old 11-18-2010, 06:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Snowperson building, LOL!

We had a heavy snow last Christmas Eve, which was fun for our kids and my visiting nephew. We moved from southern California, where Christmas Day is always blazingly clear and beautiful. There's something about that too!

I can't wait for the snow here, frankly. Everything is wet and grey and bleak.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:49 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
It is refreshing, but I just wish people kept it up. I'm sure plenty are genuinely doing it (rather than because they don't wanna be Mr. Grinch) but it'd still be nice. Kinda like Valentine's Day or Veteran's Day.
This is true. I also wish they'd keep it up. I admit, I like to be able to hum or sing Christmas songs and have people smile or join in. You can't do that at any old time. Maybe around the 4th, singing patriotic songs.

Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM

202 posts, read 484,308 times
[quote=LuckyGem;16678695]
If you decide not to come through for the holiday then don't expect anyone to come through for you (if they ever do) the other 10 months of the year.

This is the most insane, stupid comment i have seen. Just because a person wants to have a SIMPLE, QUIET holiday this means the family will ignore him for the next 10 months out of the year???? WTF is WRONG with people?

OP, if your family cant understand and respect the way you fel, then you have a F--d up family. Plain and simple. Sorry, but lots of us have disfunctional families on some levels. If you let the people in your family contaminate you and control you with their opinions and views, you will never have peace. Even if you already have, i would tell your family you either dont want a gift, and therefore also wont be buying any, or you will only buy ONE gift for the fmaily, or ONLY for the kids and no adults, or however you want to do it. then i would tell them that you will be spending a quiet holiday with your own wife.. and kids if you have them.

Now, you may have already expressed that before, but thIs time you will say it, and say it politely as possibly, and then stick to your guns and let them have fits and mope and snub you all they want. They either will eventually come around perhaps by next years holiday and respect your wishes more, or they will be asses and ignore you. If they ignore you, then i wouldnt worry about because if thats the kind of family you have, they are TWISTED.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:26 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is true. I also wish they'd keep it up. I admit, I like to be able to hum or sing Christmas songs and have people smile or join in. You can't do that at any old time. Maybe around the 4th, singing patriotic songs.
Well, you can but people will think you are crazy.
I need to dig out my Christmas CDs. Me and the grandkids drive around looking at lights and sing to the Christmas music. I always make them listen to Alices' restaurant on Thanksgiving. Hope my oldest hasnt outgrown that tradition this yr.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships