Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 08:11 AM

380 posts, read 795,357 times

Advertisements

The guy I've been dating was sexually molested (several times) when he was a child (in the shower). Besides the fact that he refuses to ever take a shower with me (which I can easily overlook) he has extreme anxiety about anyone being in/using the same bathroom that he uses.

No one knows about this but me. Including any of his family members.

We do not live together yet but are currently entertaining the idea.

While I understand where the anxiety comes from I don't want to impose, ask too many questions, or make it seem like I'm forcing him to confront his past.

I know this is a very particular situation, but does anyone have any advice? Should I advise him to seek counseling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 08:13 AM

3,059 posts, read 8,280,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by punky86 View Post
...Should I advise him to seek counseling?
Definitely. It may never cure the shower phobia, but it sounds like he has a lot of really awful memories that need to be dealt with somehow.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:26 AM

3,966 posts, read 6,860,452 times
He needs to sit with a counselor and talk this out.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:31 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
A counselor would be a great first step.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:56 AM

12,585 posts, read 16,943,603 times
That seems like alot to take on for you.

I don't know... I would suggest this move the others are saying FIRST.

Don't move in with him. Make sure you get this all worked out FIRST.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:57 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
The guy I've been dating was sexually molested (several times) when he was a child (in the shower). Besides the fact that he refuses to ever take a shower with me (which I can easily overlook) he has extreme anxiety about anyone being in/using the same bathroom that he uses.

No one knows about this but me. Including any of his family members.

We do not live together yet but are currently entertaining the idea.

While I understand where the anxiety comes from I don't want to impose, ask too many questions, or make it seem like I'm forcing him to confront his past.

I know this is a very particular situation, but does anyone have any advice? Should I advise him to seek counseling?
Im willing to bet he still has some issues from his childhood traumatic experiences. You may want to ask him what hes done to get over what occured to him . Theres some good online sources for this specific thing and one is www.newlife.com that has books, large healing gatherings in major cities, and call in services to their counsellors. I would stay away from cohabitation because it will cloud your minds on issues and people who do eventually get married that have cohabitated, run a higher risk of divorce.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:58 AM

380 posts, read 795,357 times
It is quite an obstacle to overcome. But I have just as bad, if not worst, past experiences and he embraces and accepts all of my "baggage". So I think it's only fair that I give him the same consideration.

We don't intend to ever marry so were not worried about divorce

Old 11-19-2010, 09:04 AM

2,994 posts, read 5,769,430 times
Quote:
It is quite an obstacle to overcome. But I have just as bad, if not worst, past experiences and he embraces and accepts all of my "baggage". So I think it's only fair that I give him the same consideration.

We don't intend to ever marry so were not worried about divorce
Its ok to have mercy on his baggage, but, I think its important to weigh ALL OF THE BAGGAGE you both bring into the situation because if theres still some lingering issues that hasnt been dealt with , its going to play on your relationship . Some issues run REAL deep and can be problematic or even explosive. I think getting some free counselling for both of your baggage might be a good idea , and, free places would include calling in to www.newlife.com and/or a local church pastor whos got some training .

Old 11-19-2010, 09:19 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,334,293 times
He needs to talk about it. I feel so sorry for him. Please encourage him to seek therapy. Good luck and best wishes to you both.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:27 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,821,768 times
Quote:
he has extreme anxiety about anyone being in/using the same bathroom that he uses.

Find a living space with separate bathrooms.

No matter who you decide to spend your life with, they're going to have quirks for whatever reasons. The question is whether or not you can live with those quirks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships