Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2010, 02:34 PM

3,770 posts, read 6,741,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
She'd be telling you she's not interested in a relationship with you.

i hope someone i just met doesn't want to get into a relationship with me. that's a red flag. i expect at least a few dates before discussing getting into a relationship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 02:36 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,822,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
i hope someone i just met doesn't want to get into a relationship with me. that's a red flag. i expect at least a few dates before discussing getting into a relationship.
Red flag? Okay, Oprah.

She's saying that she knows that she will never want a relationship with you.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:37 PM

389 posts, read 776,870 times
Well first of all, it would have to definitely be brought up to me the second we started seeing each other. I don't like being left in the dark. If he waited for a long time to tell me he was juggling a bunch of other women, that would just show me he's a liar and possibly a cheater and I'd drop him as soon as I found out.

That being said, if the guy was up front with me and told me flat out that he would be seeing other women to figure out who he wanted to date, that would be fine by me. Still, like someone else said, it would depend on what type of relationship I'm looking for. Like I would be more than happy with him juggling as many women as he wanted if I was just looking for a short-term, let's have fun, kind of fling friends with benefits type of relationship. If I was looking seriously, I'd wanna know who he's dating at least. But I never jump into anything anyway, so I guess a man who starts off as a friend could turn into a boyfriend, but still ...

Oh yes, and most importantly, just like another post said, I would have to be free to do the same damn thing. That way it wouldn't be me wasting my time. Kuz in the end, if he doesn't decide to see me or vise versa, at least I know I wasn't just standing there waiting for him for no reason. I was having fun too.

Jessie

Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,203,740 times
I never comitted to a guy after only one or two dates. If you are trying to get to know someone I don't see a problem with getting to know other people at the same time. Especially in today's casual "hang out" kind of way. The problems only occur when you are slutty and have sex with people you don't know well and have no real relationship with and expect fidelity because of that. How stupid.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
In my opinion, it depends on how well you connected or, perhaps, extenuating circumstances and the type of relationship I am hoping to establish. For example, if I am trying to establish a friend with benefits relationship, I feel I should be able to be a friend regardless of who else she is seeing.

Have you considered being more upfront about the type of relationship you want? However, in my opinion, it usually doesn't pay guys to be jealous in modern times.
Exactly, it depend on where you think it may go and what your looking for. I've done the casual thing before, but certain people are relationship potential and some people aren't. And sometimes I just plain old feel like being more social, so I date a few women who I am not that into.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Red flag? Okay, Oprah.

She's saying that she knows that she will never want a relationship with you.
Really, Oprah reference from a man? You're such a goof ball. If I were such a pessimist, I'd never have a date.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I never comitted to a guy after only one or two dates. If you are trying to get to know someone I don't see a problem with getting to know other people at the same time. Especially in today's casual "hang out" kind of way. The problems only occur when you are slutty and have sex with people you don't know well and have no real relationship with and expect fidelity because of that. How stupid.

If I were truly interested in someone, I'd be cool with them getting to know other people early on, but I would not think about taking it to another level if I was really into her. If it progressed and she continued to get to know these other people, then I'd feel strung along and just move on. But if she were not dating others from the get go, I'd be more likely to stick around.

Old 11-20-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelwoman View Post
Well first of all, it would have to definitely be brought up to me the second we started seeing each other.

That being said, if the guy was up front with me and told me flat out that he would be seeing other women to figure out who he wanted to date, that would be fine by me.

Yes, this is the key. I asked from the beginning, before going out. An honest person will tell you "Yes, I'm talking to a few other people". That doesn't mean they don't like you. It means you asked a question and they are not a liar.

But if she has the chance to get to know me and others and wants to keep things the same, then I no longer take her seriously.

Last edited by FelixTheCat; 11-20-2010 at 03:08 PM..

Old 11-20-2010, 05:26 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,677,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FelixTheCat View Post
If I were truly interested in someone, I'd be cool with them getting to know other people early on, but I would not think about taking it to another level if I was really into her. If it progressed and she continued to get to know these other people, then I'd feel strung along and just move on. But if she were not dating others from the get go, I'd be more likely to stick around.
In one relationship I have had, I was hoping to not let that stuff bother me. I knew I wasn't long term relationship material at the time and didn't want to "cramp" her style. It wasn't about stringing anyone along, but trying to find common interests and trying to be a friend (with benefits). As a California native, being a fair weather friend doesn't have the same negative connotation it does in other climates.

Old 11-20-2010, 05:38 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,794,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielpalos View Post
Would it be inappropriate to ask for a booty call relationship or a friend with benefits relationship? Modern times require modern forms of relating and relationships.
Only if she jumped into bed with you on the first or second date. If she seems to be the type to wait and see if you two would be compatible for a real relationship then yes, it would be inappropriate. I had a man propose that on a fourth date with me when things seemed to be moving in the right direction and he said he wasn't "feeling it" but he sure would like a FWB relationship. It was very upsetting b/c I was starting to think that he liked me better than that.

Anyway I don't even think you need to ask for a FWB relationship--if getting naked happens right away, you can just assume you have one of those.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships