Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you expecting an invitation?
I am male, yes I expect an invite 0 0%
I am male, no I don't expect an invite 5 31.25%
I am female, yes I expect an invite 0 0%
I am female, no I don't expect an invite 11 68.75%
Moot point. After 2 months, it wouldn't be casual anymore! 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,669,360 times

Advertisements

Here's a question. Say you are casually dating (and sleeping with) a person for two months. You are from out of town with no local family; your date has a large family in the area. Do you expect to be invited to do something for Thanksgiving?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 01:21 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Will the family see this person as a friend or casual squeeze, or will the family expect that the two are now affianced and ask all kinds of nosy questions?

Old 11-22-2010, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
Will the family see this person as a friend or casual squeeze, or will the family expect that the two are now affianced and ask all kinds of nosy questions?
Well that's how it works in my family, once you bring a date it becomes a subject of conversation which will not get dropped!

Old 11-22-2010, 01:33 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,322,977 times
I wouldn't expect to be invited. Holiday gatherings with family tend to be on the intimate/personal side so I'm not sure a casual date would be extended an invitation. It would largely depend on how one is viewed by the family if invited (potential LTR, gf/bf, etc).

Old 11-22-2010, 01:47 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Nope, not after just two months. Matter of fact, I think I would be secretly dreading the possibility of being invited to meet someone's immediate and extended family during an intimate holiday such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:51 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,680,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OngletNYC View Post
Well that's how it works in my family, once you bring a date it becomes a subject of conversation which will not get dropped!
Then I think it would be better not to invite the person, but an explanation would be nice, as would an invitation to eat together on Friday. But that's just me; I like having a lot of people around on holidays, and I like to cook. If that gesture would be overly girlfriendy on my part and not appreciated, then I'd skip that too.

Old 11-22-2010, 01:53 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Nope, not after just two months. Matter of fact, I think I would be secretly dreading the possibility of being invited to meet someone's immediate and extended family during an intimate holiday such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.
I agree. I would not be ready to meet the family, after just two months of casual dating..let alone for Thanksgiving when everybody and their brother is there..
Maybe he could offer to "bring you a doggie bag."

Old 11-22-2010, 01:56 PM

Quote:
This is the exact answer I am hoping for.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:00 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,771,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegirl313 View Post
I agree. I would not be ready to meet the family, after just two months of casual dating..let alone for Thanksgiving when everybody and their brother is there..
Maybe he could offer to "bring you a doggie bag."
Not only that, but I can barely tolerate my own relatives at times without wanting to commit parricide. Thanksgiving is a time of year when people who spend the rest of the year avoiding one another get together over copius amounts of food and awkward dinner conversation. I like keeping things simple on the holidays. Immediate family only, and perhaps one or two really close friends.

Old 11-22-2010, 02:03 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,654,563 times
Quote:
Not only that, but I can barely tolerate my own relatives at times without wanting to commit parricide. Thanksgiving is a time of year when people who spend the rest of the year avoiding one another get together over copius amounts of food and awkward dinner conversation. I like keeping things simple on the holidays. Immediate family only, and perhaps one or two really close friends.

Yep. I would not want to be put in that sitution..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships