Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 08:55 AM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times

Advertisements

Do women not look for good providers anymore? 8 pages and all we hear is a good smile, understanding, kind, affectionate, good body, tall. Women who are looking to settle down and raise a family and depend on a man's income you'd think ability to hold a good steady job should be at the top of the list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 09:13 AM

2,058 posts, read 3,304,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattB4 View Post
(As an aside) Why do you class those particular people as being insignificant?
Because they don't really know you and don't have your best interests in mind. They're just spouting off thier opinions to an aquaintance.

Quote:
Vacillating and allowing others to improperly influence your decisions is not a lack of confidence. It is a lack of character. Though the purple tie does look gay. Listen to your Mothers friend on that one
In your opinon! :P

I kinda see what you mean by a lack of character, but I think it's a confidence issue as well when you immediately doubt everything about yourself once an opposite or alternate view is presented.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Do women not look for good providers anymore? 8 pages and all we hear is a good smile, understanding, kind, affectionate, good body, tall. Women who are looking to settle down and raise a family and depend on a man's income you'd think ability to hold a good steady job should be at the top of the list.
I don't believe--and dont think women as a whole shoud believe--that they need someone (a man or anyone at all) to "provide for them". Ya know that silly modern idea that women have two hands and a mind and all that junk.

but yes I do think some people (artsyguy you were in there too so I won't say women ) were a little too shallow with thier answers. I'd like to hear the revised lists if physical attributes were replaced with something about thier personality or character. I thought that's what this thread was about...

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Quote:
Of course we do, but this question is about what women find sexy. Do you think the two are the same thing?

Okay. This woman is an excellent mother and will keep your house neat as a pin.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:35 AM

Why Julia? I thought you were a nice person!

edit: never mind, on a second look the roots are too bad

Old 11-22-2010, 10:04 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post
Because they don't really know you and don't have your best interests in mind. They're just spouting off thier opinions to an aquaintance.

They may not know or care, but one should always consider others opinions. That is not to say you adopt them. Though, if upon review, the opinion makes sense than you might. Now that is a confident person. Someone not blind to the world around them and willing to change their viewpoint if warranted. Plus they do not think common people are insignificant.

Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
They may not know or care, but one should always consider others opinions. That is not to say you adopt them. Though, if upon review, the opinion makes sense than you might. Now that is a confident person. Someone not blind to the world around them and willing to change their viewpoint if warranted.
I didn't say to be blind to the world at all. I feel like I'm over-explaining but still not being understood...

Quote:
Plus they do not think common people are insignificant.
Not at all what I meant. You're acting like I'm Marie Antoinette or something

Old 11-22-2010, 10:31 AM

1,561 posts, read 2,204,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatsong64 View Post

Not at all what I meant. You're acting like I'm Marie Antoinette or something
The cake is a lie.

Old 11-22-2010, 12:17 PM

3,734 posts, read 4,546,558 times
Quote:

You bring up a good point. My take on this is as follows:

1. I think no one mentioned it because it goes without saying that all normal women expect a desirable man to have a good steady job. Joblessness, especially if chronic, is usually a deal breaker.

2. When I hear the word provider, I tend to think of it in the older sense of the word, i.e., sole provider. In this day and age, few women expect men to be that type provider. Waiting around to get involved with men who can carry the entire financial burden of a household is a losing proposition and most likely means having to forego any relationship. A minimum salary for such men would range from 100K to 200K, depending on what part of the country you live in. The average woman does not meet, on a regular basis, many men who can afford to be a sole provider.

Because life is so expensive, most women have to work since few men can afford to give them the lifestyle they'd like. It's simply no longer a reality for most women that they'll get a spouse that they can totally depend on financially. So, it's a bit unrealistic to add "provider" to a list of desirable qualities.

Last edited by Pivot Point; 11-22-2010 at 12:32 PM..

Old 11-22-2010, 12:53 PM

951 posts, read 1,811,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
NotARedneck wrote above: Why are the "undesirable" types always getting the girl?
My answer: I started this thread for fun about what is sexy and undesirable in men after talking with the teen daughter of one of my friends. Her mother and I later laughed with a couple of our other friends discussing what we found sexy at 21 and at 29. The difference was, of course, quite different.
I used sexy and undesirable in my original post for a reason. Sexy for a girl tends to be about a boy's physical beauty. I agree with you, NotARedneck, girls often pick the "undesirables", but when girls grow up, they hopefully learn the bad boy doesn't offer them intimacy, trust, or respect in a relationship. The beautiful, self-absorbed, perpetual boy-jerk of 39 is undesirable to many grown woman, but the thoughtful, smart man that can make her laugh is as sexy as hell.
Unfortunately, by age 29, nearly all desirable women are married to the "undesirable" types.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships