U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 07:12 PM

199 posts, read 262,883 times
Default How is your typical Thanksgiving like?

For me its get together with the family a ton of food, beer and liquor and music. We wait for all of the family members (aunts uncles cousins etc) to arrive and we say what we are thankful for before we start eating and when everyone digested their food the dancing n stuff begins.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2010, 07:18 PM

1,743 posts, read 2,533,037 times
It has changed over the years...in the last few years it has been go to my parents (which is local) and that's it. It works for me, I like the small intimate family thing better than a big hootenanny.

Old 11-23-2010, 05:05 AM

27,238 posts, read 26,329,729 times
At best it's just me and an SO. Otherwise, it's just me alone. Another day off work--boring.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:27 AM

17,816 posts, read 16,886,972 times
Alcohol is generally NOT a part of Thanksgiving, in my family. When I was married, my ex's family sat beer on the table with dinner, and I was mortified. I'm happy that I don't have to tolerate that anymore. We have a huge dinner out at my cousins house - a farm. Anywhere from 25 to 50 people generally...Turkey, ham, and rolls are at done at the house, and everyone else brings something. Quite a throwdown.

Old 11-23-2010, 06:31 AM

5,079 posts, read 8,613,564 times
We have a small gathering, say what we are thankful for (which was a new procedure when I joined my b/f's family) so we just continue it at our place. Then we eat. We pretty much start drinking before the meal is even cooked... usually around lunch is when the drinking begins.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:11 AM

8,257 posts, read 11,014,473 times
Thanksgiving at my house? 4 kids. 6 grandkids. 2 greatgrandkids and 2 greatgrandkids on the way!
"Stop hogging the turkey you pig! You took all the dark meat! Close the damn door! Were you born in a barn? Stop feeding the dog under the table! Do you have to fart at the table? No wonder you cant get a girl/boy friend! Football? Come on Grandpa! Cant we watch the vampire movie? Oh hell no! And please change that babys diaper!"
And I wouldnt change a thing!

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 AM

12,890 posts, read 12,473,406 times
I sleep, wake up, exercise, work, eat, and usually end my day sleeping. But not always. Sometimes I mix it up and finish the day by eating. Or working some more.

Oh, yes, I also play. I usually toss that in there wherever there's room.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:22 AM

16,623 posts, read 13,789,835 times
I'd say my thanksgivings were pretty typical. We'd go hunting for bobwhite, or shoot skeet, ride 4wheelers, fry turkeys for people, and chop wood so we could smoke a whole hog later. Then we'd drive out to the 'other' family's place, where we had the "annual Dalzell thanksgiving parade." This "parade" was the most white trash event you could possibly imagine, which consisted of about my 15 members of family being towed on a hay-filled trailer behind a tractor, down the highway, and through the main drag of this little crossroads town. Nothing special, basically what most families do for thanksgiving.

now things are different... less time, less energy, more travel, and now the older folks can't hang... so we drink bourbon, sit inside and watch football, and talk.

Last edited by le roi; 11-23-2010 at 09:33 AM..

Old 11-23-2010, 10:00 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,384,952 times
We go to my mother-in-law's and dodge food poisoning.

After inspecting salad dressing bottles for their expiration dates, and taking the turkey's temp ourselves, we sit down and are asked to say what we're thankful for. Just note that giving thanks had better darn well include the mother-in-law or the whole meal is ruined.

Two days and counting. Can't wait.

Old 11-23-2010, 10:32 AM

880 posts, read 1,071,952 times
I work for a 24/7 company and make double time, and it's a slow/easy day so that's always what I opt for. The next day is total hell day. My family lives way too far away so I would rather just chill than go all the way to Palmdale and have to get up hours early to take the train back home the next morning.

Might get pizza or something special like drink Orangina with it, maybe decent ale.

Last year I was off the wagon and smoked hash and drank beer until I passed out while watching music DVD's.

My last family event was in 2006. There were upwards of 20 people at my mom's and I got very tired out and uncomfortable real quick. Almost got in a fight with my cousin over my mom's computer in the office. He kept saying "just one minute, just one minute" until I basically physically removed him from the office. Had to sleep on a mattress in the garage. Decided the next time there was a family event that large I would sit it out, at least unless I had transportation back home early that evening.

In 2002 there was a major scandal when my 5 yo nephew jumped out of nowhere and socked me in the balls. I shoved him hard to the ground and yelled "this little ********** just hit me in the nuts." Unfortunately a poor reaction to being hit in a very sensitive spot was all my fault. His dad was totally oblivious or else I might have been jumped. My sister (his mother) was crying and it was just a messed up situation.

I won't even go to anything on my dad's side of the family because I won't let myself get put on trial for not being religious and for being a vegetarian.

I tend to associate Thanksgiving family events with being miserable and losing pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships