Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: HIV Testing before a relationship
Yes 10 45.45%
No 7 31.82%
I can't wait that long 3 13.64%
Other (in a post) 2 9.09%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 08:44 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgeek View Post
Before you start a "serious" relationship do you get tested?

Jonathan
No. I've been tested in the past, and since then, have not been with anyone that I was unsure of. I know...I can't be sure, but I really feel there is no need, for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
What do you mean...?
this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post

People who claim they demand and get testing for everything before starting a sexual relationship... I have the feeling you say you do it but really you don't.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:51 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
tijlover, im sorry you whent through that, with current tests TYPICALLY 3 months from infection itll show up on the tests, so mabe tests are just mroe sensitive or accurate now?

i lost a friend to aids 3 yrs ago, hes actually contracted it in a fist fight with a mugger, a small cut on his hand when he broke the guys nose was all it took, he was 18 when he died.
i also agree that people can be carriers so theres absolutly no certainty, but i also feel that what security you can get from testing is as good if not better than condoms...theres no guarentee on condoms either...

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
tijlover, im sorry you whent through that, with current tests TYPICALLY 3 months from infection itll show up on the tests, so mabe tests are just mroe sensitive or accurate now?

i lost a friend to aids 3 yrs ago, hes actually contracted it in a fist fight with a mugger, a small cut on his hand when he broke the guys nose was all it took, he was 18 when he died.
i also agree that people can be carriers so theres absolutly no certainty, but i also feel that what security you can get from testing is as good if not better than condoms...theres no guarentee on condoms either...

OMG that is so sad.

When I was single, that was what I was most scared of - beating up a mugger and ending up with AIDS as a result. Never worried about getting it any other way, as I fought a whole lot more than I f****d.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM

worse than that, he contracted it at only 13! for the rest of his teen life he was picked on and treated like scum because of it, people would give him a wide birth in the halways, noone would talk to him, and of course it meant he was a 'dirty ***' (because theres still many peple who think the only way to get it is by having gay sex)
he was both lucky and unlucky, he actually displayed symtoms about 3 months after the fight and his dr suggested getting a full blood work done because his hand was infected...because he found out so early he spent his highschool years educating people on hiv and its transmission...but had he not found out...he didnt start going downhill untill the very end, you wouldnt have known to look at him, other than having some respitory issues when running he was perfectly healthy and normal on the outside...then 2 weeks before his death he got caught in the rain, then got very sick very quickly, the hiv had worked to the point that as soon as he got sick the aids took the "cold" and turned it into pneumonia...had he not known he was hiv positive, he would have simply gotten sick and died...but he had to live with the knowledge of what was happening to him...

HIV often has no symptoms, its not untill it enters full blown aids when things tend to go down hill very quickly and people can live with hiv for a very long time before it shifts to aids.
afterall hiv is silently attacking the immune system...its not the hiv or aids that kills, its the fact that by the end your immune system is so shot a simple cold will kill you.

Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
afterall hiv is silently attacking the immune system...its not the hiv or aids that kills, its the fact that by the end your immune system is so shot a simple cold will kill you.
Sooo...? At least most of them had some fun getting it. My immune system got shot without any fun involved.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:02 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
The testing they did 15-20 years ago was probably not as quick or as accurate as it is today, when I was doing home care for AIDS patients.

So three months it is. But, even with three months, you meet someone who has sex with someone unknown 1-2 months before you met this person, you get tested and would you then feel comfortable with the tests?

Or would you wait for the 3 months to end, and then both get tested, ensuring that neither of you had sex with anyone else during that 3 month period?

Old 11-23-2010, 09:07 PM

my godfather has been symtom free for 18 yrs...his dr says he could get sick tomorrow or he could be fine for another 20 years, they just dont know...
im sure it helps that hes a health nut now, no smoking, no drinking, he grows ALL his own food so he knows its chemical and pesticide free ect...the dr says other than being hiv+ there is nothign wrong with him...which always makes me happy to hear!

tij, i like to wait the 3 months from when his relationship ended (and try to trust him if he says he hasnt seen anyone in that time but i will also play it by ear...if i dont feel comfortable ill wait longer...
if he wants me bad enough...he'll wait, im lucky, dating/sex is something i can take or leave, im quite capable of taking care of the physical needs by myself...not quite as fun, but if your doing it right, equally satisfying lol.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:12 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,162,128 times
Quote:
tij, i like to wait the 3 months from when his relationship ended (and try to trust him if he says he hasnt seen anyone in that time but i will also play it by ear...if i dont feel comfortable ill wait longer...
if he wants me bad enough...he'll wait, im lucky, dating/sex is something i can take or leave, im quite capable of taking care of the physical needs by myself...not quite as fun, but if your doing it right, equally satisfying lol.
What you obsess about (not just that) is exactly what you'll get! Mark my words!

Old 11-23-2010, 09:13 PM

1,994 posts, read 3,212,779 times
Quote:
That sucks, I’m so sorry to hear it.

It AMAZES me how some people (junkies, prostitutes etc) have gone their whole lives without contracting HIV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships