Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 03:40 AM

187 posts, read 196,027 times

Advertisements

Good stuff....sometimes I think there should be a little more real input with high schools from non-teacher. I think the young guys would get a little more out of the straight up confidence builders. The assertive example is huge. You can hold your head up and eyeball with confidence if your on track...great point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 03:58 AM

355 posts, read 615,525 times
Fun post. Reminded me of the good ol' "If" by Kipling

Old 11-25-2010, 06:25 AM

158 posts, read 270,279 times
You know I have to agree with Danbo1957 advice. I am not a Texan but a Yankee and I treated all my women when I was growing up with that mission listed above. I was fortunate in grade school that we had classes on manners in second grade. And this was in public school yet. I thank god for those lessons. It may have seemed foolish to us at the time but when it came to be a young man at a school dance or other function you out distanced your male competition for the girls. They just eat those manners up like it was dessert and when you act the same toward her parents they just adopted you right away.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:30 AM

904 posts, read 2,872,962 times
My son is 21. I am greatful that he knows how to balance his checkbook, live within a budget and make it to work on time. I have taught him that his education is the most important thing in his little world right now. That donating his time to a cause that he believes in is never a waste, and that being kind to others is important.

I have taught him to say please and thank you, yes sir and no ma'me, to hold doors for the women and the elderly. I have taught him to be a loyal friend. I have taught him table manners and how to enjoy a good beer vs one that will only get you hammered.

Old 11-25-2010, 06:44 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
A young guy should know if he is gay or straight by the time he's 18 and if he's gay should not try and be who he's not. If he's Bi, that can take some time.

He should know how to work at and hold a job, manage money.

Use basic tools like a hammer and screwdriver to repair stuff.

Know where the condom isle at Walmart is located.

Know how to do laundry, clean a toilet and basic cooking skills.

Know the value of some higher or additional education.

Most importantly know how to be (at times) a gentlemen, have a basic knowledge on how to treat a woman and start to understand that some women (and men) are not worth having in your life just because they do sex stuff to you.

How to take care of a car & put air in the tires. (Surprising many don't know how)

There is life outside of a computer.

I can't disagree about aspiring to be a Texan.

Know that mother does not need to hear all of his stories, save some for dad only. It will only worry mom.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:29 AM

3,511 posts, read 5,305,102 times
The best advice for 18 year old men is.... "hey I'm only 18"! That is the most important one. Finding a job or preparing for one is #2. The rest are all irrelevant or opinions.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:37 AM

36 posts, read 312,227 times
Nothing that you can't Google.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 AM

3,977 posts, read 7,636,281 times
Advice from a 52 year old geek:

Keep sex new, don't let it get boring, and don't take sex too seriously.

Never stop playing, no matter how serious life gets, take time to play

Money is just a tool, a thing, never let it control you, or drive you to distraction

Friendship is above all, people who are your friends will tell you the truth even if you don't want to hear it

Jonathan

Old 11-25-2010, 09:30 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,044,413 times
How to do laundry.

How to change a flat tire.

How to perform an oil change.

How to iron a shirt.

How to cook a basic meal.

There's no such thing as a free lunch.

Old 11-25-2010, 09:34 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
How to do laundry.
I'm always shocked by how many people need to be told this. Hell, I grew up with a housekeeper who almost always took care of laundry, and I still knew how to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships