Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:57 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I find it ironic that those who seem so against my fiance and I are either single, divorced, or in unhappy marriages.

Exactly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2010, 11:15 PM

5,696 posts, read 19,136,991 times
I did not get that you are a gold digger. Gota love city-data. Anyway, I would say something to your family. There are nice ways of saying go F yourself.

You could say something along the lines of "Wow, you think he is short? Hmm...I think he is perfect." or "I find your comments to be hurtful." I think if you let it go, then more things will be said. Put these people in their place now and also your man will feel supported because I am sure he finds these comments to be inappropriate.

Gota love family!

Old 11-25-2010, 11:20 PM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
I suppose when the rude folks make comments on any perceived height discrepancies you could get all dreamy eyed and tell them you are both the same height when laying down? Add in a big smirky grin and they should shut up after that.

Old 11-25-2010, 11:52 PM

924 posts, read 2,229,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
I suppose when the rude folks make comments on any perceived height discrepancies you could get all dreamy eyed and tell them you are both the same height when laying down?
What do you mean? They may line up their genitals, but her legs and torso will be longer than his

Old 11-25-2010, 11:56 PM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ValueAddedWorker View Post
They may line up their genitals
Exactly.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:59 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam82 View Post
I'm a tall woman (between 5'11" - 6'). My fiance is 5'8", which I believe is about average for a man. He treats me like gold. He gives me anything I want as long as he can afford it. He makes me feel beautiful. He's very funny. We're best friends as well as lovers. And he can cook and clean. I consider him a catch. We're getting married in less than a year.

The problem is that some family members are very rude about the fact that he's shorter. They've called him an elf. One person told me that he better wear shoe lifts so that our photos are not ruined. Another person told me that she didn't know why such a smart and beautiful girl was wasting her time with someone like him. At the time I said that I was not settling.

At this point, I don't know what to do. Part of me wants to say don't come to the wedding if that is your attitude. I find it ironic that those who seem so against my fiance and I are either single, divorced, or in unhappy marriages. What should I do? Should I make a big deal about it and not invite them to the wedding?

Have you considered just saying "to Hell with it" and go to Vegas instead? Honestly, that's probably what I would do just so I could enjoy my wedding in peace, and at this point your current plans won't be.

Is your fiance aware of this? Are they rude to him?

Old 11-26-2010, 01:17 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Tell them it's your life and your relationship and you are both happy as a couple and that's what matters. If the height difference doesn't bother you, it shouldn't bother them.
They should be happy for you being happy.
Don't live your life by what others think. You will never get anywhere because you can't please everyone no matter what you do. Just yourself.
And in reality it's none of their damn business.
I would be inclined to tell them so.
It ain't the size of the mans body. It's the kind of man within the body that counts.
Whether short or tall.

Old 11-26-2010, 03:42 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,619,938 times
I don't care if they are family I would not want to have anything to do with people who are bullies, ill behaved, rude, churlish and boorish. The man you love , who treats you like a Queen and is a real catch deserve better than those losers.

Nice people do not behave like this, not to your face , not behind your back. I chose to associate with people who are not morons with the emotional IQs of mouldy bread. Life is too short to accommodate people who feel it is OK to demean others.

Jerks are not worth losing time over. I don't care if you share genes with them.

I would personally give them once chance to redeem themselves, apologise and change. After that quite frankly it would be "Hello, Good-Bye" for me. Do not invite them to your Wedding, and never speak to them again.

I have a deep antipathy towards shallow sots , they are a waste of air and time. Plenty of nice people around who can appreciate the man you love as he deserves to be.

Do not let a go man potentially slip through your fingers because of some childish, vapid cretins. He is worth 1000 of them.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:04 AM

55 posts, read 49,337 times
Default Lots Of Respect

First, not that it means anything, but I give you lots of respect for looking beyond societal norms and dating/taking a shorter man seriously to get to this point. I truly believe Hieghtism is one of the last bastions of prejudice and it deeply routed in our psyche because its almost innate. There are boatloads of studies to confirm this.

It is YOUR wedding though and I agree with some of the posters above. Personally, even if I was tall, be it anything about my fiancee's height, weight, occupation or anything else, I would NOT invite them to my wedding. The wedding is a special day and I have a big problem being around fakes. The above posters are right that it could lead to future friction, but if you let their behavior slide it could create even BIGGER problems down the road.

I have a female friend who is 5 ft tall and her fiancee is 5'4 (taller than she), but her family makes fun of her just the same and crack mean midget jokes all of the time and asks what she sees in him, even though he is doing his residency to become a doctor. She has invited those family members to her wedding though out of respect for family.

Old 11-26-2010, 04:07 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
I think you should gently point out their superficiality, rudeness, and immaturity and tell 'em up front that you are offended by it and don't want them to do it anymore.

Tell 'em straight up. Don't hint around or put up with it. If they can't handle their relative telling them to please stop being offensive, insulting, and hurtful, they can go F themselves. Maybe they don't know how much it bothers you. You have to at least give them the chance to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Relationships